Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    PopcornFool, good recap of my views on this as well. Although when we're talking about our beloved () teensy UL packs the difference between 10D and 20D, as you note, becomes significant. With a 65 liter pack it doesn't matter; 35 liter is a different story.

There is also such a thing as Argon 49 (7D) but I've not seen or read about it in actual use yet, although I haven't searched exhaustively for it.

But to me Argon is the perfect material for UQs, being quite splash and wind resistant.
    Argon 49 is amazingly silky, impressively breathable, but still able to hold in down as it is calendared. Sacrifices some wind and water resistance, but it is so comfortable that it’s worth it to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brohawk View Post
    Wow!!! Thank you for the comparison. This is just the info I was looking for. I am not a gram weenie but with my winter pack I would like to keep my weight as low as possible because of the larger quilts and more warmer clothing I pack.
    After reading this I think your right and will definitely go with a 10d or Argon 67. I was concerned about the durability of the outer shell but I am pretty careful with my gear and I use an UQ protector in the winter anyway.
    Now that the fabrics are out of the way the biggest decision that I have been struggling with is vendor. LL has given me some great info and they have a great design with tons of followers. They run a 900 down fill. Warbonnet has a 950 fill option and they are having a Memorial Day sale coming up. Then right here in my backyard I have JRB which I have never owned but they have the Mt. Washington 4 with baffles running side to side with a 25% overstuff for less than the others but their total weights are just a tad more. Decisions, decisions....
    WB, LL, and JRB are all great vendors. Can't really go wrong with any of them.

Not to make your choice harder, but if you haven't already, you might also want to take a look at the Hammock Gear Incubator (I have 10D/950 fill HG Incubators in my collection and love them), the UGQ Zeppelin (maybe the most options for tailoring of any vendor), the TrailHeadz Ethereal (saw their stuff at MAHHA this year and was impressed), the Cedar Ridge Convector, and the Enlightened Equipment Revolt, just for comparison to those you've been looking at. Unless I'm mistaken, I believe all of them offer 10D fabric options and 900 or 950 fill options.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    FYI, I don’t believe JRB’s stated 25% overstuff is significantly more than what most others are doing normally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images
    [QUOTE=dakotaross;2075862]FYI, I don’t believe JRB’s stated 25% overstuff is significantly more than what most others are doing normally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Huh...interesting. I was not aware of that. Their down oz weight was more in theirs than the other two vendors for the same temp rating. Since they are so close to me I was thinking of heading down to their shop to check it out and ask questions. Thanks for the info.
    Some days I can't tell whether I found a rope or lost a horse...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12