Tarp
    Minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images

New NC Hanger

Hello all. I'm new to the hammock world and after a recent overnight on the ground I've discovered my old bones no longer can do it. A buddy of mine brought over his hammock and set it up for me. Holy Cow! I was sold immediately!
    Since then I've been ordering a setup. My problem was I didn't do much research outside of Amazon reviews. That was a mistake. I bought the Onewind setup(Double) and hung it in my shop to try.
    Very comfortable but very large with the sides flapping down in my face. So off to Youtube I went. Found this guy named Shug I watched quite a few videos of his and got a better understanding of what I want. During one of his videos I wasn't really watching, but listening while practicing some knots. Then I heard him mention Morehead City and a shrimp burger LOL!
    Got my attention and I realized the Hickory Twins actually hiked a trail just down the road from me. Shug mentioned HF in one video and that led me here.

This is where I'm at. I sold the Onewind and my plan is to go WB. I contacted them and a sale is coming soon so I'll buy then.

My intended setup(please advise if I should change anything).

-WB Eldorado double layer(skeeter country)
    -Either the Mini or Thunderfly(On the fence)
    -Some various accessories like cordage etc.

Still researching UQ options. But I can purchase that later.

Open to any suggestions anybody has. FYI-Budget is part of holding off on the UQ right now.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    A hearty shout out from Denton NC near Uwharries

Watch some videos, go to a group hang or two, to see first hand different rigs, set up in all kinds of ways.

Ask questions, and use search engine to find information from past threads here on Hammock Forums. Sometimes I’ll use Google or Safari to search hammock topics—and the search engine will find the thread here on Hammock Forums

Mainly, get out there and have fun

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    Minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    A hearty shout out from Denton NC near Uwharries

Watch some videos, go to a group hang or two, to see first hand different rigs, set up in all kinds of ways.

Ask questions, and use search engine to find information from past threads here on Hammock Forums. Sometimes I’ll use Google or Safari to search hammock topics—and the search engine will find the thread here on Hammock Forums

Mainly, get out there and have fun

Thanks! I saw that you guys have an upcoming Uwharries group hang coming up. Don't know if I'll be ready for that one but I'll be ready soon I hope.

Hammock
    Superior Gear bundle
    Images
    Cool - High Point here - Welcome!

And where does one find the Group hangs?

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    Minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cagouillard View Post
    Cool - High Point here - Welcome!

And where does one find the Group hangs?

About midway down the main forum page there is a section called "Outings". That's where I saw it.

Hammock
    Superior Gear bundle
    Images
    yup - raht there it is! if I'd only look!

Thanks!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Welcome!

Dunno about the skeeter proofness of a double over a single layer. I'm in Florida, and we have them buggers for almost the entire year. Been using single layer hammocks, but also with a 3/4 length UQ. No issues with bugs biting through.

For an extra $5 and 2 ounces weight, you get more coverage with the Thunderfly over the Minifly.

Definitely spring for the UQ before a TQ.

Good luck!

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    Minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Welcome!

Dunno about the skeeter proofness of a double over a single layer. I'm in Florida, and we have them buggers for almost the entire year. Been using single layer hammocks, but also with a 3/4 length UQ. No issues with bugs biting through.

For an extra $5 and 2 ounces weight, you get more coverage with the Thunderfly over the Minifly.

Definitely spring for the UQ before a TQ.

Good luck!

Interesting. Skeeters are killer here as well and I thought perhaps the double layer would help with that? Also I was thinking the double layer could be used to stuff whatever in between?

I'm a greenhorn at this so any info from you more experienced hangers are welcomed. I noticed that the weight rating is the same on the single layer WB vs the lightweight double. That had me scratching my noggin a bit.
    You're in Florida so heat is your game! I worried the UQ would cook me in the summer? I also have no clue as to what UQ for the WB other than the Wookie or yeti that they sell. Much to learn here for sure. Hammocks are like Lego's I'm discovering..

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    Minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I was leaning towards the Thunder too. I just noticed on WB that the panel pulls are not in stock. So hopefully they will be when I buy. If not I'll go Mini

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Welcome to the forums, Oyster. The hammockers in NC are a fine bunch of folks that you'll enjoy hanging out with. I just moved to NC from Colorado and have already been to 4 group hangs (alright, the -4 degrees winter hang was in Virginia). I am guessing that your choice of hammock and tarp are at the top of the list for the types of gear you'll see being recommended as true "camping" hammocks. I rock a Warbonnet Ridgerunner myself, because I'm a side sleeper. Can't go wrong with WB.

If you want to try out different UQs, I'd go to a group hang. I have a UGQ Zeppelin you can try out if I catch you at the UWharrie Trail hang.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast