Thread: Hennessy ridge

Hennessy ridge

I'm new to hammocking and have been trying out a Hennessy hammock with the classic, bottom entry opening.

I'm not sure if I'm laying at the correct angle and position, but I'm finding that, although I'm generally comfortable, the centre line of the hammock with the velcro strip seems to be at a higher tension than the other material, and it's digging into my leg/knee. I've heard of calf ridge, and suspect this might be similar, but depending on where I lay it's usually a bit higher up - above my calf and sometimes around the side of my knee.

Is this typical of this hammock, and if not, what tricks could I try to alleviate it?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'll offer a video a made on the subject for some help. There are several factors that could cause it.
    Best and quickest option is a pillow or stuff sack under your knees. But suspension levels and such can also be the cause. sometimes it is just the fabric and hammock length.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Eventually, hammockers find the hang angle (or hammock end distance) that works for them. A common rule of thumb - more a starting point - is to hang at an angle such that the ends of the hammock are about 83% of their physical length. If you have the Explorer, I think that’s about 130 inches long so 83% of that would be 107.9 inches or 9 feet. Hang it so the hammock ends are about 9 ft apart. When you do that, the angle to the tree will be about 30 degrees.

There’s a hammock calculator you can play with - you put in the tree distance and your hammock length and your preferred height above ground and it calculates how high on the tree you should attach the hammock. You can find it here:
    https://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator

Shug’s “pillow under the knee”, is a common solution. And some use one just for more comfort or change - not specifically to prevent calf ridge.

So there are lots of things to mess with - pads, distance between ends, one end higher than the other, etc. That’s what sunny afternoons are for.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Thanks very much!

There's a lot to try - I'll start with checking the distance between trees and foot end height etc. I've had a few practice sessions now, and I'm getting a bit more used to 'erecting' the hammock. As you say, it might be a case of tweaking things now.

I had the hammock hung up last night, and was just getting it ready to try sleeping in it when the rain moved in, and I had to abandon it (I don't have a tarp yet) .

• + New Posts