Hi folks,

Sorry for the rambling post. Thought I'd provide a bit of background, and maybe got carried away...

I just joined HF, but I've had a HH Deluxe Explorer Asym for 10 years or so, but only used it a few times. I had thought it would be good for bike touring, but never had much of a chance to use it, as I was always concerned about whether I'd be able to find campsites with trees where I needed them. I also decided I didn't like the bottom entry, and the fact that it wasn't usable as a chair, so I've now had it modified by 2QZQ with Mod #4, and I expect to have the hammock in my hands this weekend. Looking forward to trying it out - we're headed to Michigan camping (Algonac State Park), and I hope to find a couple trees to do some test hangs. I've also seen some threads discussing Tensa Trekking Treez, which I may look at if I can get over the price!

I bought the hammock 'fully loaded' at the time, snake skins, the larger hex rainfly, and the super shelter, which is an under cover and a heat reflecting underpad.

I'm not a fan of the Hennessy knot, so I've purchased a pair of climbing carabiners, and four descender rings. I plan to use the carabiners and rings with the treehuggers, and then use the existing suspending ropes to hang. (I saw that done in this video on Youtube). I don't want to cut the ropes off and replace them with infinite loops yet, but might do that once I know the carabiners/rings will work.

I'm pretty stout - currently 5' 10" and ~285lbs, so close to, but under the weight limit on the hammock. Hopefully I stay airborne!

My question is this - assuming I'll probably use the hammock 4-5 times a year, and only 3 seasons here in southern Ontario, so never below 32F, and typically 45F - 65F at night, is it worth looking at an UQ for this hammock, or will I likely be OK using the undercover and reflecting pad? I have a 40F down bag that I'll use as a top quilt. Are there any UQs that won't fit the HH properly? I assume that just about anything made for a gathered end hammock will work, right? I'd likely be either using the hammock on short(ish) hikes, or possibly bike packing, so hoping to keep the weight (and volume!) down. Price is also a concern, since I'm not sure how often I'll use the hammock, or whether it will get shelved again for another decade...

I know the answer will likely be try it and see how it goes, and make a decision based on my experience, but hoping to get feedback from other folks.

Sorry for rambling! Appreciate any feedback.

Brawny