Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Classic XL

Do I need an UQ?

Hi folks,

Sorry for the rambling post. Thought I'd provide a bit of background, and maybe got carried away...

I just joined HF, but I've had a HH Deluxe Explorer Asym for 10 years or so, but only used it a few times. I had thought it would be good for bike touring, but never had much of a chance to use it, as I was always concerned about whether I'd be able to find campsites with trees where I needed them. I also decided I didn't like the bottom entry, and the fact that it wasn't usable as a chair, so I've now had it modified by 2QZQ with Mod #4, and I expect to have the hammock in my hands this weekend. Looking forward to trying it out - we're headed to Michigan camping (Algonac State Park), and I hope to find a couple trees to do some test hangs. I've also seen some threads discussing Tensa Trekking Treez, which I may look at if I can get over the price!

I bought the hammock 'fully loaded' at the time, snake skins, the larger hex rainfly, and the super shelter, which is an under cover and a heat reflecting underpad.

I'm not a fan of the Hennessy knot, so I've purchased a pair of climbing carabiners, and four descender rings. I plan to use the carabiners and rings with the treehuggers, and then use the existing suspending ropes to hang. (I saw that done in this video on Youtube). I don't want to cut the ropes off and replace them with infinite loops yet, but might do that once I know the carabiners/rings will work.

I'm pretty stout - currently 5' 10" and ~285lbs, so close to, but under the weight limit on the hammock. Hopefully I stay airborne!

My question is this - assuming I'll probably use the hammock 4-5 times a year, and only 3 seasons here in southern Ontario, so never below 32F, and typically 45F - 65F at night, is it worth looking at an UQ for this hammock, or will I likely be OK using the undercover and reflecting pad? I have a 40F down bag that I'll use as a top quilt. Are there any UQs that won't fit the HH properly? I assume that just about anything made for a gathered end hammock will work, right? I'd likely be either using the hammock on short(ish) hikes, or possibly bike packing, so hoping to keep the weight (and volume!) down. Price is also a concern, since I'm not sure how often I'll use the hammock, or whether it will get shelved again for another decade...

I know the answer will likely be try it and see how it goes, and make a decision based on my experience, but hoping to get feedback from other folks.

Sorry for rambling! Appreciate any feedback.

Brawny

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    You'll be much happier with an underquilt. In the 45F-65F range you can probably get by with a pad in the short term, but you'll likely want an underquilt as soon as you can get one. In that temperature range (and depending on how warm you sleep), you could get by with a 3/4 length 40deg UQ. If you want to go the cheep+crafty route, the DIY UQs using the costco-style down blankets work really well down to ~45deg in my experience.

I think pretty much any of the UQs from the cottage vendors will work fine with your hammock.

Hammock
    AHE Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidg Owyhee
    Suspension
    DIY
    I would recommend an underquilt. I would get a 20deg which should cover three seasons. Look at the Tensa Solo as an option vs the Trekking Trees.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    No one really needs an UQ as they can you pads or such but the comfort level is much better with an UQ. As you have said, try it and see how it goes then make a decision based upon your comfort level.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Classic XL
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'll have to read up on the Costco blanket DIY UQ options, and look a bit closer at the cottage vendors offerings as well. The Tensa Solo is also a great option, and probably better in my situation than one of the treez.

Looking forward to getting in some hang time soon!

Brawny

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You can take a peek at my Tensa Solo at 3:10 in the video below.
    Jacksrbetter make UQs specially for Hennessys.....https://www.jacksrbetter.com/product/the-nest/
    Also take a look at the Economy UQs from Hammockgear.....https://hammockgear.com/economy-under-quilts/
    A partial UQ will save you even more money over a full length.
    Something to consider as well.
    Shug

Last edited by Shug; 05-20-2022 at 14:14.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Keep an eye out here for used UQs they come up fairly often.

You may also want to check out Arrowhead Equipments apex underquilts. They're cheaper than down UQs, and if you're not going to be hiking a ton of miles are perfectly fine. I actually prefer apex even for the warm humid midwestern summers that I camp and hike in.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    No matter the temp and how warm it was, I was never comfortable and truly warm in a sleeping bad/pad combo. Only an under quilt brought true warmth in the night. The wind was always stealing it away from me!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by brawny View Post
    Do I need an UQ?
    Yes.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    brawny, Welcome to the forum. You and I traveled pretty much the same path. I started with a Hennessy. The first thing I did was abandon the “Knot”, for descending rings. And I mostly used it with their Hex tarp rather than the standard asymmetrical one. My first year - which was only a few outings in the summer - I used a therm-a-rest pad between the hammock bottom and the SuperShelter. That is, I didn’t use the foam or “bubble wrap” part of the SuperShelter. You may want to experiment with replacing the foam and bubble wrap with ReFlexit (available at large hardware stores). Reflexit comes in a roll and you can cut it to the length you want. With any extra you can make insulated coffee cup or bowl holders.

I liked the bottom entry. No need to mess with zippers. But I am much smaller than you. You may want to add reflective zipper pulls to your modification - easier to find them at night.

After the first year (camping season), I moved to a Warbonnet BlackBird and HammockGear UQ’s rated and various temperatures.

Just consider it an evolution. It’s not that you “got it wrong”, it’s more that your interests/tastes change. Like at some point in your life you might want a sports car and at another point a station wagon would better suit your style. As a Kayaker, an old model Volvo 740 turns my head. That thing has a roof line like an aircraft carrier and is low enough that I can reach the roof without being up on my toes or standing on a ladder. But when I was 12 years old I wanted a Jeep and it only took 60 years to get there.

So at some point you may want a larger hammock. And with that hammock you’ll probably want an UQ. You can still use your supershelter bottom as a UQP (underquilt protector) because it just has to cover the quilt; not the whole hammock bottom.

You are mostly correct about any UQ for any GE hammock except there are a few specialized UQ’s - like the WarBonnet Wookie for the BlackBird and XLC models. And the WB Lynx and others for the RidgeRunner Bridge Hammock.

One last thing - at 285 lbs. you may want to consider a Double Layer option for your next hammock. Not only does that give you a sleeve to insert a pad - if you are not ready to invest in a UQ or want to carry just a pad in case you have to go-to-ground - they also have a higher load rating.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast