Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JacksRBetr 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB 20deg set
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Welcome to HF, Brawny

Tried the Hennessy lashing. Hated it. Never tried the descender rings myself but it works well for many.

I used the supershelter & reflecting pad on my HH for years in similar temp ranges. By itself, the undercover is a great wind/rain/mosquito blocker and I left it on almost every night. Down to 45 or so the underpad & space blanket were all I ever needed (but I replaced the space blanket with a heavier/easier to handle version from SOL).

The bottom of your temp range is near my edge for the supershelter. Starting around 45, I add a little extra warmth by sleeping on top of a Wal- Mart fleece blanket. That and thermals worked well enough on the few nights it dipped below freezing.

I eventually switched to a 20 degree UQ and it's bulkier, but it's a whole bunch warmer, easier to adjust when you're laying in it, with a much bigger "covered area" .

Yup, any underquilt will fit a HH. It's just a rectangular quilt that's suspended up against you. If you want to use the bottom exit, just reach a foot through and push the UQ aside. Jacks R Better makes a UQ specifically for bottom entry HH, if that's you thing.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    No one really needs an UQ as they can you pads or such but the comfort level is much better with an UQ. As you have said, try it and see how it goes then make a decision based upon your comfort level.
    OP not talking about using a pad. OP wanted to know if the HH mylar reflective system would work at those temps. For most. It will not.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 30
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    I used a pad 1 time, then bought a good UQ. My recommendation is spend the money for a good UQ first!!!
    I got a HG Burrow 30*F under quilt (40*F, with baffle Mod and overstuff)
    I'm VERY happy I did!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    I always like going SOBO; somehow, it feels like going downhill.

...and as it harm none, do what ye will.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 30
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Yes.
    TL DNR...lol!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    I always like going SOBO; somehow, it feels like going downhill.

...and as it harm none, do what ye will.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Remember - on those temperature ratings - they are more a reference point rather than an absolute. For example, I’ve found through experimentation that I’m more comfortable if the quilt is rated for a temperature 10 degrees below what I expect to find. Like my 40° quilts can get a little chilly as the temperature nears 40°. For that reason, and reviewing the local night time temperatures - it will still be 34° one day this week - my next quilt will be rated at 30°. As we near June and still have night time temps in the mid 40’s, a 30° quilt will cover a broader time span without being too warm.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Most everyone has covered the bases here. You don't need an UQ if your undercover/pad is good to your normal lows of 45. I used a classic HH for my first few years with a regular camp pad & SPE (extra side protection) and was fine. Then switched to a short UQ and was also fine except that I couldn't adjust from inside the hammock, so I eventually decided not to pay for mods and move on to a standard hammock. I still remember the bottom entry as very easy in and out, and the best when it came to bugs - put a light on the RL, watch them congregate at the top and go in and out below without issue.

So, if you do keep the HH (no reason not to with the mods), then eventually you'll want an UQ - and that should be a NEST or a shorter quilt like a JARBRIDGE or similar.

One thing to keep in mind... given that you have consistently cooler temps up your way, I'd give SuperiorGear hammocks a look. Pretty much eliminates the UQ learning curve. Maybe not now after modding the HH, but maybe try to make the HH work with what you have for now, putting $$ into a TQ, and look at the Superior hammock in a few years.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12