Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Joining the club…enough lurking. Future Dream Hammock

Hey everyone! First off I can’t thank this forum enough for all the amazing information I learned while I was lurking and absorbing as much info as I could about hammock backpacking.

I’ve purchased my HG Dyneema with doors, HG burrow 40 TQ UQ, and now almost ready to pull the trigger on the hammock. Everything else I was pretty certain on but I’m waffling between the Dream Hammock Darien and Sparrow.

I’d love to have an ultralight setup but not if it means missing out on features or comfort. What would I be missing out on if I went the route of the Darien over the sparrow? Based on their website it also looks like there’s only a 3oz difference in the net only model? Seems off.

Details:
    comfort! Hence everything I’ve heard about DH
    11’
    net only
    assymetrical, head right
    5’-10”, 210 lbs
    single layer
    Hexon1.6, hear good things about comfort
    Not sure about width

Appreciate everyone’s input and thank you

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Either hammock is a good choice. Personally, I have a Dutch Chameleon and am satisfied with it. As for Hexon 1.6, I like it.

I don't think you'll get very far with just a set of 40* quilts in NJ - that's basically three months (July-September). You'd be better off with a 20* set of quilts - you can cover a wider range of temps and still be comfortable.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Based on their website it also looks like there’s only a 3oz difference in the net only model? Seems off.
    3 oz difference between what? The Darien and Sparrow, or the net and overcover?

If between hammocks, my guess would be the single zipper (Darien) vs dual (Sparrow). If the net and overcover, I assume the fabric weight vs. bug net.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Either hammock is a good choice. Personally, I have a Dutch Chameleon and am satisfied with it. As for Hexon 1.6, I like it.

I don't think you'll get very far with just a set of 40* quilts in NJ - that's basically three months (July-September). You'd be better off with a 20* set of quilts - you can cover a wider range of temps and still be comfortable.
    I knew another set of quilts was in the cards but will start to work my way down as I get more seasoned.

If between hammocks, my guess would be the single zipper (Darien) vs dual (Sparrow). If the net and overcover, I assume the fabric weight vs. bug net.[/QUOTE]

According to their hammock calculator it’s 3oz between Darien with integrated net 1 zipper vs Sparrow dual zippers and zipper covers. Ive seen people say it’s an 8oz diff but I think that’s because they’re including both net and separate overcover.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    My past two experiences with Dream Hammock is to open an email. Tell them what you are looking for, along with your weight and how tall you are. Tell them your plans for the hammocks. Ask them all the questions as clearly as you can. Let Randy/Team reply and assist in helping you make the right choice. Look over some of their recent work for ideas on the hammock. Colors, pulls, all those details that they will gladly help you with.
    Last edited by rhjanes; 05-19-2022 at 22:30.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    While I don’t own either of your hammock choices, many of my friends have one or both those hammocks.
    Symmetrical type of hammock could be a good feature if available. Some new hammock campers are not sure if they are Left Lay or Right Lay.
    When you lay on your back in hammock in a diagonal direction, the hammock’s shape allows for a flatter lay.
    If you like to have your Feet towards Left side of hammock as you lay in your hammock, then you are Left Lay
    If you like to have your Feet towards Right side of hammock as you lay in your hammock, then you are Right Lay.
    I recently got a hammock with a bug net for summer camping. I’m glad there are zippers on both sides.
    I can more easily reach either side to adjust my under quilt.
    And with zippers on both sides, I can enter and exit hammock on either side.

I agree with SilvrSurfr, you will benefit from a 20* set of quilts during Fall, Winter, and Spring.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Darien was my first custom hammock, and I wanted a 10-footer with whatever width the DH Smurfs recommended, which was 64" for my height of 5'9" (which I since learned is now 5'8"). They made it with Robic (now called MTN) 1.7, and I later had another one made with MTN 1.2. While awaiting production of the Darien I got a Chameleon 11' x 58" and it was (and remains... I still use it) plenty comfortable. The single side zipper on the Darien doesn't bother me because I'm able to grab the UQ's edge shock cord through the hammock material and tweak it that way.

This original DH 'recipe' has worked out perfectly for me, and I had a Simply Light Designs Treerunner made to same 10' x 64" dimensions and it has identical comfort and fit for me. Hexon 1.6 is a great all-'round material IMO.

I don't know how long the queue is now at DH, but if you want something quicker to tide you over while the DH hammock is being made, you can get a Trail Lair from Jared at SLD (insanely fast custom service) or a Chameleon from Dutchware Gear.

11' x 58" with 110" structural ridge line (SRL) is sort of a generic catch-all size that works great for a lot of people.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    If you're a cold sleeper, I'd recommend the Sparrow- because it allows you to get a top cover which will trap additional heat inside the hammock. Otherwise, I would probably choose the Darien. I have a (now discontinued) Raven- which has zippers on both sides, and a Darien. And I don't really miss the extra zipper when I'm using the Darien. Also, the weight savings is nice. If weight is of utmost importance (and it seems that way reading your post), then the Sparrow probably isn't the best option for you. As for fabric, depending on your weight, the Mtn. 1.2 is phenomenal. It's super light and has a pretty high weight/comfort rating.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Good point about the top cover. Which is why I use the Chameleon a lot in very cold conditions. I have asym net and asym top cover, which makes it a nice loaner for noobs who don't yet have a left-right lay preference. Very easy to flip the net/cover once you get the hang of how the zippers work.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast