Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Wide Rectangle
    Insulation
    Jacks r Better zip
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    I would take the extra weight with the dual zipper. I've seen so many people get annoyed with single zipper once they have used a dual zipper, the ability to open both sides to get out, adjust the underquilt, remove the bug net in some weather, all these are bigger deals than they sound.

This is why I love this forum, good points by all. The Smurfs are away this week but I will be sure to give them a ring soon.

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    There is a lot to say for getting yourself a bottom-entry bugnet and trying as many materials and weights as you wish in relatively cheap and fast delivered netless hammocks rather than spending a bunch of money blindly on your ultimate hammock before knowing what YOUR preferences are. Bonus points if you can sew a bit and just buy the fabrics.

After a half-dozen hammocks my current overall sweet spot is the 1.6 in a wide. Not the choice I likely would have made off the bat and I still need to check out that MTN 1.7 and maybe even something like a 2.2 or double layer before I pull the trigger on an expensive netted version if I ever get around to doing that. I really like the bottom-entry bugnet setup and ability to switch hammocks at will.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock custom Sparrow
    Tarp
    15'x15' DD
    Insulation
    SLD Trailwinder UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    I'm fairly new to the whole thing.
    I read a lot of stuff here, and looked at, in this order...
    Lawton Blue Ridge, Hennesey Hammocks, Warbonnet, and then saw the high end custom manufacturers' DH, DW and SLD.
    I chose DH based upon their amazing degree of customization and fabric choices, and their premium customer service.
    I got a Sparrow, double layer, with the bugnet and the top cover.
    I find the top cover really useful for winter. It definitely adds warmth and comfort. Makes you feel like you are in a tent rather than out in the open.
    In Vermont where I am, I switched from top cover to bugnet two weeks ago.
    It's nice that they can both come completely off too.

Many times when I am hanging but want the cover open for a while...I have a little trick.
    I got a small flashlight on a mini-carabiner and clip that to the ridgeline.
    When I unzip to cover, I can flip the fabric over the ridgeline, and then just flip the flashlight over as well and it holds the fabric in place.

I will say I have been out on a half dozen trips in deep winter and spring, and it has been amazing.
    In addition, I find I sleep much much better in the hammock and so I have abandoned sleeping in my bed inside.
    I sleep outside every night under my tarp, with a little nightstand by my side, lantern, ThermaCell, phone charger, water bottle...
    I love it.
    Now my wife and son are getting their own setups outside as well,
    The thing has changed my life.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Sleep in a Freebird most nights a home. I'd think carefully about how many nights you will need bug protection each year. It might surprise you. I have a bottom entry net from BIAS that just doesn't get to make that many trips out with me. My 3 seasons are Spring, Fall, and Winter until Deer season is over.

Then decide whether you really want to carry that net with you on every trip you make. As my gear list gets tighter and weight/volume/comfort become the issues, for me it's a no brainer. HYOH
    Signature suspended

Happy to say that after what felt like forever my Darien finally arrived! It was fun to get her the straps and cordage and tarp I had stashed away the past few months and finally put everything together.

The craftsmanship is excellent now I just need to hang this thing a couple times in the yard to get a hang of all the nuances.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock custom Sparrow
    Tarp
    15'x15' DD
    Insulation
    SLD Trailwinder UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Also... people shouldn't get the idea that you're going to be locked into one position if you get a right or left lay asymetrical. You can easily lie in the opposite direction and it's comfortable. Your feet sort of fall a bit....it's almost like laying in the couch and having your legs hang off and almost hit the floor. But better.. hard to describe. Even a straight in-line lay is comfortable. Different positions will make the sidewalls higher or lower. If you use a boat analogy, the gunnels can be really high or low depending on how you position yourself. This is effective if you want visual privacy, if you want to block see.prevailing wind or sideways rain, or to block intense sun.

If you do any spring, fall or winter camping, you will really appreciate the top cover on the Sparrow.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12