Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need advice on a first time setup

Hi. I've never had a hammock setup before so here's is what I need advice with.

I have Ankylosing Spondilitis which in lamens terms is a form of Rheumetoid Arthritis that affects the hips/spinal cord. AKA, tons of pain and hard to sleep. At home I sleep in an adjustable bed with a memory foam matress. I have heard that a Hammock works well for people with similar conditions as myself.

I looked at the Amok Draumr which initially looked ideal for me with it's adjustable seating position but I read that people with similar back pain did not like it. So I am considiering a regular hammock now. I like the look of the Clark NX-270 and TX-270. Being in Canada I want a setup for cold weather. What I like about the Clark from Dutchware is the poles that keep the netting aware from your face.

I also looked at some hot shelters like the Pomoly Lonewolf 902. Looks ideal for the cold weather.

I would also like the option of using a stand if for example no trees are available such as on a campground site. The Tensa 4 looks good but I don't think you could use the hot shelter with it. Would the Tensa Trekking trees work with a hot shelter?

I am also considering a hot tent from Russian Bear for over $2000, plus cots. But those are 95lbs and not as packable if I want to bring it with me on the Kayak.

Questions I have:

With my medical condition would you recommend a Hammock at all? How about the 90 degree Draumr design? Should I just stick to a tent with cots.
    Can a hot shelter be rigged up with no trees somehow? Would Tensa Trekking trees work?
    Should I just get a 4-season tarp and use under and top quilts and forget about a hot shelter?

Weight is not an issue. Will be in the car, but would like the option of transporting with a Kayak so size/weight is of concern but it's not critical since I will not be hiking with the hammok.

Thanks for any guidance.
    Last edited by Gondo; 05-15-2022 at 13:16.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Gondo, welcome to the forum. Your questions will probably generate many posts or reference those already made as your questions cover issues covered under other topics.

At this point, two things come to mind. 1) sleeping in a bed is NOT like sleeping in a hammock. In a bed, you develop pressure points and may need to move about. In a Hammock your body is supported differently. But people not use to a hammock think they have to mimic or duplicate their “bed” experience. So I wouldn’t invest in an Amok until you’ve tried a gathered end hammock (GE) and maybe a bridge hammock (it has spreader bars at the ends) so you have something to compare the Amok to. A Clark is a big investment. I’d go for a simple $50 - $75 hammock (I don’t know your size but 3.35 meter [11 ft.] camping hammock is pretty common) first. Don’t even worry about a bug net - yet. Once have a better idea of what you’ll need, you can add bells and whistles. For example, you mentioned cold weather camping and around here there are not ’seeters in that season (so no bug net needed).

2) A lot of the questions you asked are about what I’d call “advanced gear”. There’s a lot to learn about just setting up a hammock and tarp between trees, let alone adding a Tensa4 and hot tent. And a hot tent probably evolved from ground sleepers. I’d be real, real cautious about putting something as dicy as a hammock on Tensa Trekking trees near anything that would melt nylon and burn me.

Your enthusiasm is great, but I think smaller steps are warranted. Tell us a little bit about your size/weight and the seasons/temperature range you expect to play in. Note that for many people, their “cold weather gear” - one season of the year - is usually different than their milder season (Late Spring/Summer/Early Fall) gear.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Crawl before you walk my friend. None of the hammocks you mentioned are considered "regular". I would recommend you try a more traditional gathered end hammock from one of our cottage vendors and learn how to properly hang it. The same cottage vendors can also assist you in your learning process.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon or DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    And let's not forget referring all new comers to Shug on YouTube. His videos are a must for anyone dipping thier toe in the waters.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Gondo,

Welcome. If you end up digging hammock sleep and you get yourself a Tensa 4 and if you still want a hot tent, there are makers on this site, who can make you a canvas, hammock, hot tent. I am sure they could make it so that you could set up your Tensa 4 inside the hot tent but that would require a quite large tent. It may be easier, lighter, simpler and less costly, to just set up the hammock hot tent, tying off to trees, instead of lugging arountdthe Tensa 4.

I just got a Tensa 4. I researched and saved for about 2 years. It is an incredible piece of gear and worth every penny. My primary use will be driftboat camping and car camping.

It can be a long learning process regarding hammock camping. If you havent done so, check out "SHUG's" You Tube Videos on all things Hammock. He covers just about everything you could imagine.

Most of all have fun

Bob

Thanks for the advice everyone. I contemplated a Hammock for full time use indoors before setteling on the adjustable bed for the wife and I. I read through almost every post, watched every video, so I am quite familiar with every aspect of the hobby. I've pretty much settled on the fact the people with my condition can't handle the Amok due to the pad, or a bridged hammok due to the more flat style. I'm also only 5'9" and 135lbs but because of my back it seems a longer 11-12' and wide hammok is better.

I think I will keep it simple for now and see if my back can handle the Hammock life. Especially considering most Hammocks must be purchased from the US and it can get quite pricey here in Canada. I live in the musquito capital of Canada so a bug net is deffinitely required. As for winter, I am going to reserve that for the dedicated hot tent that can double as an ice fishin shack so the worst I may encounter is -5'C in the the early spring, late fall. I think I'll stick to quilts and keep it a package I can pack onto the Kayak.

Thanks for the replies and I will keep it simple to start off. FWIW locally I can get Henensey and Kammok at good pricing.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Heard good things about this vendor from up in your neck of the woods.

https://www.littleshopofhammocks.com

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If you go with Hennessy, bought from Hennessy, I suggest upgrading the standard tarp - like the one that comes with the Explorer - to their Hex tarp. At one time they’d just charge the retail price difference between the two for the upgrade. However, as far as hammocks go, Hennessy is a bit on the smaller side - but you are not over 2 meters tall so it might be fine for you. Nothing wrong with starting with a Hennessy; a lot of us have. And the cost addition for gear coming from the US side is not nothing. We got to get the border open again. I know it can be crossed now - but there is much more of a hassle factor and an assumption that everyone owns a cell phone with a data plan (to use the border crossing App).

I started with Hennessy snakeskins for the tarp but switched over the Mesh from another vendor. If the tarp is wet when you have to pack it up, the inside of the skins get wet and the nylon skins take longer to dry than the mesh.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I would say just get a cheapie on amazon and see if it is even in your realm.....sure you can get one in Canada.
    We don't get ketchup chis or Tiger Stripe ice cream in the States.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I had back problems and was lucky to get 4-5 hours of good sleep a night in my bed. I pretty much stopped camping because, even with a cot and air mattress, I couldn't sleep comfortably. I started doing some research and hammocks arose as a possible alternative for camping. I bought a cheap, gathered end hammock on Amazon and took it on a canoe camping trip (with my tent/cot setup as a backup). I set both up at the campsite and started out the first night in the hammock. I never went back to the tent/cot. Afterwards, more research and bridge hammocks emerged as probably the best option. Of course, Warbonnet's Ridgerunner came up. I was fortunate enough to catch a sale, so I purchased a double layer model and a Thunderfly tarp. During my first season with it, I used my Klymit pad and a sleeping bag as a quilt. That first night I slept nearly 10 hours (comfortably). Since then I have purchased a top quilt (a 20d Hammock Gear Econ Burrow) and an under quilt (AHE Ridge Creek XL). The system has been working great for me. I am consistently getting a good night of comfortable sleep. This year I purchased a Pomoly Rhombus (Lone Wolf 902) hot tent/tarp, but haven't used it yet. I have used the RR with my Nemo Bug Out Shelter and that has worked well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast