SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Agreed with Shug that getting a hammock to test out first is the thing to do. In general, you don't need to detail it too much, it'll either work ok or not at all. From there, you can go where you need to in terms of what you really want in a hammock. While I agree an Amazon cheapie will hang about as well as anything, you still need quilts and I wouldn't go cheap there. With that in mind, I really think a SuperiorGear.com insulated hammock is what I would recommend to anyone starting out who can afford it. And its not even that expensive when you consider the baseline of what you would spend anyway on hammock and UQ. Could easily spend $100+ on a basic netted hammock, and $200 on a 3-season UQ, AND be stuck at the bottom of the learning curve of how to get the UQ fitted right, when the Superior hammock gets you past the learning curve for a slight premium. Your only issue would be the wait to get one, but this place has some in stock. Plus, there is great resale value on these so that you're really talking about renting it for about 10-20% of the cost IF you don't keep it. Truly, I am totally sold on the insulated hammock thing if you can afford that initial expense, which sounds like you can.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Need advice on a first time setup

Maybe an 11 or 12 foot simple gathered end hammock will be good.
    You might like a wider hammock at least 5 feet wide or up to 6 feet wide.
    Maybe a five foot six inch width would be good.
    When hammock is six feet wide there can be floppy fabric falling on your face. Knotty mods help keep excess fabric away from your face.

Maybe go with good under quilts and top quilts.
    A stove in a hot tent has to be tended about every hour, or they go out.

Some hammock campers use a Nalgene bottle filled with hot water for all night warmth. Also some use stick on pads by HotHands to stay warm all night, but this still requires good top and bottom quilt sets
    Some campers double up and stack their under quilts.

Above all stay safe, and make first few camp outs in backyard or where you can bail out if uncomfortable

Good luck

But don’t get a hammock less than 11x5, any smaller takes away from your comfort!

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I'll disagree on the length only to say its not just absolutely true 11' is more comfy than 10', though I'd say its mostly true but with its own caveats. I find there is a little more calf ridge to deal with in a shorter hammock, but that it affects me less than the longer hammock. I believe this is due to the overall change in geometry for the hang. If you lengthen the hammock and RL, keep the sag the same, then the hammock hangs deeper, and closer to the ground if hung at the same height - a bit looser is good for comfort, but a bit more rounded drop is not so good. I believe its one of the reasons I continue to have UQ fit issues. (and why I think the sewn on insulation of the Superior Gear hammocks is so worth it) I'm 5'10" which is right about where the benefits and cons even out, at least for me it seems that way. Not that someone shorter than me might not benefit from an 11 footer, nor that someone taller can't use a 10 footer. Of course, this only applies to gathered end hammocks.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Gondo,
    Another option may be the Ridgerunner hammock from Warbonnet Outdoors. It is a bridge hammock that has become my go-to choice, and is less expensive than the Clark or Amok.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12