Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Thumbs up VIDEO: 3 Days Backpacking South Mountains State Park North Carolina

At the beginning of this backpacking season my buddy Joey and I headed down to South Mountains State Park for a 3-day trip. South Mountains is North Carolina’s largest State Park and has a bounty of enjoyment for backpackers - ridgeline views, a massive waterfall, luxury campsites and an intersecting trail network nearing 50 miles. I was using my Simply Light Designs hammock & tarp but Joey was in a t*nt - don’t hold that against him!

Day 1 started off with a bang, both for the legs and the eyes. After a short walk to get started soon came the steep, stairs-infested climb up to the top of 80-foot High Shoals Falls. On the way up an observation deck took us within close proximity of the falls themselves. A few more miles brought us to an old cemetery right before our site for the night at the Fox Trail campsites.

On Day 2 we traversed around the outer edge of the Park’s trail system and enjoyed the best vistas in SoMo at the Sawtooth View & Chestnut Knob Overlook. 8 miles or so on the day and we arrived at the Little River campsites situated on the top of a bald mountain. Despite the name these sites are a long way and a big climb from the Little River.

After 2 days of perfect, unseasonably warm weather our luck broke on Day 3 and we awoke to a chilly rain. We lounged around in our shelters for a large chunk of the morning waiting for the rain to subside and soaking in the relaxation. A hop, skip and a jump later our adventure was over back at the parking lot.

South Mountains is a great spot for a backpacking trip, especially during the wintertime.

Hope you enjoy the video trip report, thanks for watching!

Layne

Hammock
    Off-brand cheapo
    Tarp
    ALPS UL
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Nice. Looks like a great park. I'm always looking for spots in the region that aren't as crowded as GSMNP.
    Grace & peace,
    Dragonhunter
    No one sits around talking about that trip where it was 76 and sunny the whole time.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    High Quality video - what were you using?
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonhunter View Post
    Nice. Looks like a great park. I'm always looking for spots in the region that aren't as crowded as GSMNP.
    SoMo is definitely worth checking out! I head down there every year or 2, usually in the wintertime

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    High Quality video - what were you using?
    Thanks Paul - this video was filmed in 4k with a DJI Osmo Action & exported in 4k to the highest bitrate allowed by YouTube

• + New Posts