Off-brand cheapo
    Tarp
    ALPS UL
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch

Going to Ground?

So, looking at some summer backpacking routes, and may end up in a situation where I have a night with no suitable trees. It seems, if I pack a sleeping pad, I could use my tarp, hammock, and trekking poles to make a serviceable shelter. (the hammock for the integrated bug net, this being summer....)

I plan to do some tinkering in the back yard with this, but thought there are probably ideas/techniques out there. If I could figure out how to use the search on here more effectively, I may have found them already....
    Grace & peace,
    Dragonhunter
    No one sits around talking about that trip where it was 76 and sunny the whole time.

Hammock
    Who can choose?
    Tarp
    DW Bonded P2F
    Insulation
    Unicorn Fur
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonhunter View Post
    So, looking at some summer backpacking routes, and may end up in a situation where I have a night with no suitable trees. It seems, if I pack a sleeping pad, I could use my tarp, hammock, and trekking poles to make a serviceable shelter. (the hammock for the integrated bug net, this being summer....)

I plan to do some tinkering in the back yard with this, but thought there are probably ideas/techniques out there. If I could figure out how to use the search on here more effectively, I may have found them already....
    https://youtu.be/0j54vMKGhiQ

Here's Shug. There's others out there - but Shug is probably the go-to resource for all things hammock camping - or at least your first stop.
    Medical professional, semi-professional Scouter, aspiring layabout.
    "If it's stupid, and it works - it's not stupid."

S487-132

Hammock
    Off-brand cheapo
    Tarp
    ALPS UL
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    As always, Shug has it covered. Thanks for the link. That's more or less what I was thinking, though some good tweaks and thoughts about improvising a ground sheet. I still want to play with it in the backyard before I ever think I have to do it for real.
    Grace & peace,
    Dragonhunter
    No one sits around talking about that trip where it was 76 and sunny the whole time.

To ensure a taut pitch don't peg/stake the tarp directly to the ground but use lines to keep things up off the ground a bit. Helps with airflow as well. Don't worry about rain getting in, even with a strong wind you are unlikely to get more ingress than the height of the edge of the tarp.
    Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry - Viking proverb

Hammock
    WBRR, Amok Draumr 5
    Tarp
    MECGuid, Superfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead UQ
    Suspension
    Stock Buckles
    I've used a lightweight tyvek as a groundsheet. A bit noisy (only when you turn) but other than that no problems.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonhunter View Post

I've been hammock camping since 1970 and have never once had to go to ground. Proper planning is everything. The right equipment is everything.
    In Colorado above treeline is lightning territory every day and some evenings. You don't want to be there. Hammock camping 1970.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Dragonhunter, I have this photo in seveal posts. I put down a ground sheet (black plastic), a therm-a-rest pad, then my hammock with bugnet. Using guylines and poles - I use collapsable poles when kayaking; hiking poles would work as well - I rig a tarp over the hammock. Then I attach the ends of the bug net to the poles, lifting it off my face.

hammocktent.jpg
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Just got back from a 26 day hike in which 2 nights were spent in a shelter.

• Slept on Polycro Ground sheet (40 x 96 in) + Therm-a-Rest Z Lite Sol (6 sections cut down to fit in a GG Gorilla pack)
    • Under TQ and UQ.

Upside: Kept me warm with minimal pack weight penalty.
    Downside: Frequently sliding off the marginalized ccf pad; too easy to get tangled up in UQ cordage.

This system is good enough but maybe not ideal.
    Last edited by Recalc; 05-15-2022 at 14:21.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    T’were it me, I’d skip the UQ - unless you are using it as a TQ add-on. The area under you is compress by your body weight. It works with a hammock because hanging under, it keeps its loft.

If having the go to ground is more frequent, something like HG’s “Wide” option could be useful. It’s amazing how those few extra width inches give you more “tuck-in-able sides to minimize gaps that might form if you move around. Or ... you could lay the UQ sideways on top of the TQ so it’s really wide from shoulders/chest down to waist - also covering gaps should you move around.

Oh, i see the UNDER emphasized now. Don’t mind me; I’m old.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 05-16-2022 at 11:35.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Tier Gear Goshawk
    Tarp
    Alton Ultralight
    Insulation
    Alton -5C UQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps/whoopi
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    T’were it me, I’d skip the UQ - unless you are using it as a TQ add-on. The area under you is compress by your body weight. It works with a hammock because hanging under, it keeps its loft.
    My solution to this challenge is to carry a lightweight inflatable sleeping pad and Alton Goods bathtub groundsheet (weighs 340g). I agree the UQ is pointless as insulation underneath. I carry a couple of mylar emergency blankets, $12 for 6 from Amazon. They pack down smaller and lighter than tyvek and have several applications; not just as a ground sheet. I can use one under a sleeping pad if the R value is too low. I can also have one between the UQ and the hammock if the UQ rating is too high for the ambient temperature. I can only speak about how effective it was with a Subito 5C/41F underquilt in a -5C/23F situation. I was wearing a couple of layers but using my -5C/23F sleeping bag as a TQ I was toasty. It did prompt me to invest in an Alton Goods -5C/23F UQ and -10C/14F TQ but for $2 you can't go past the mylar emergency blanket. Admittedly you can hear it crinkling everytime you move but it works.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast