SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Camping in/near Acadia National Park

At the end of July, we're taking a family trip to Maine and would like to camp in or near Acadia National Park. It looks like there are three camps within the park at very reasonable cost/night. However, none appear to have showers (the better half kind of insists on showering on occasion); although Schoodic Woods advertises "washrooms", which may be Maine-ese for showers.

The fam will be in a tent, but I'll be hammocking, assuming there aren't any weird restrictions that I don't know of. Any recommendations for which campground to stay at, in or near Acadia would be greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Call the rangers. IIRC you must use tent in the park campground. Can’t hang anything on trees. Maybe it has changed

Last time I was there was about 10 years ago and it looks like there are more campgrounds now. There were vendors outside the campgrounds with nice showers. Supposedly it was a political thing related to water conservation where there had been plans to put in showers and it was not allowed. But cold running water in the bathrooms. I saw people hammock camping at some of the walk in sites at the Seawall campground.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    According to Sierra Madre, hammocks are allowed in the established campgrounds, but not outside of them:
    2022-05-12_15-57-25.png

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    From the NPS reservation website

All camping equipment must fit on the campsite pad. Help us grow vegetation around the campsites! Do not walk or set up camping gear off of the campsite pad. You are responsible for reviewing site details and booking a site that will accomodate your equipment. Note: Tree tents are not permitted in the campground. The use of portable showers is prohibited

Other portion of the Need to Know pages say tents only.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    From the NPS reservation website

All camping equipment must fit on the campsite pad. Help us grow vegetation around the campsites! Do not walk or set up camping gear off of the campsite pad. You are responsible for reviewing site details and booking a site that will accomodate your equipment. Note: Tree tents are not permitted in the campground. The use of portable showers is prohibited

Other portion of the Need to Know pages say tents only.
    Hrm...I guess "tree tents" = "hammocks", but I sent them an email to be sure. I guess I could make room for my stand in the truck, just in case. Or, I could suck it up and sleep in the tent. It's not like there won't be room.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    So, I wrote to them with the direct question and this was the response:

Hammocks are allowed in the campgrounds but may only be used on trees that can be accessed without stepping outside of the campsite pad. Aim for trees on the edge of your campsite. Our goal is to prevent the campsite pads from expanding by campers trampling vegetation when setting up equipment. Allowing vegetation to grow between campsites will improve the experience for all campers. Be careful not to damage tree bark. It is prohibited to drive nails, screws, or spikes into trees. Note: Tree tents are not permitted in the campgrounds.
    I suspect when they say "tree tents", they mean things like those from Tensile and others that attach with high-tension ratchet straps.

• + New Posts