Minifly on Hennessy

I have a Hennessy hammock (I think it's an older lightweight backpacker model with bottom entry) but no rainfly.

I'm trying to decide if a hammock is for me, and I'm not sure what to buy for weather protection to be able to try it out. I know the standard Hennessy rainflies are cut quite close, and although I could buy one of their hex tarps I'm wondering if a Minifly might be an alternative which could come in useful if I decide to become a frequent hammock user (and buy a new hammock).

So, could I just clip the Minifly to the existing sliding hooks on my Hennessy's ridgeline?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm sure you can rig it to the Hennessy.Or just rig the Minifly to the trees on it's own.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    I think it's far better to hang the tarp independently of the hammock. My chief complaint with my Hennessey was the closely attached tarp - effective, but claustrophobic. Hanging the tarp separately gives you options to suit the weather.

My minifly covers my Blackbird just fine - I'm sure it will handle the Hennessey.

Thanks very much.

It seems to get a positive review! Also, all the information about hanging them and setting them up is really helpful.

I'm just thinking that clipping it to the Hennessy line would let me try it without any hassle, and then I could look into all the ridgeline options.

I'm in the UK, and the tarps are extremely expensive over here.

As I say, I'm not sure hammocking is for me, but because I only have the bare Hennessy hammock it's not been possible to try it for more than a few minutes without bottom insulation and a tarp. However, the weather is getting warmer now, and I've spent a few 10 minute sessions in it.

I'm not finding it particularly comfortable, but it's probably just the way I have it set up or the way I'm laying. I've tried different angles based on Youtube videos and also sliding up and down to align with the side pull-puts, but I seem to be getting what sem to be called 'calf ridge' but in different areas (such as the back of my knees) depending on where I lay.

Also, when it's windy the creaking trees are a bit disconcerting!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Cant wait to get back to Scotland! Covid travel issues have kept me home.

Until then, 2 things that might help: I spent several years using a self-inflating pad (Thermarest Prolite short) as bottom insulation in my Hennessy and in my Blackbird successfully. Found it perfectly comfortable and warm, with no more condensation issues than I had sleeping on the ground on the same pad. I still bring the pad instead of the UQ in summer if I'm expecting a chance of ground sleeping.

Second - a looser hang was usually more comfortable.
    Bonus 3rd suggestion - more Shug videos.

Hammock
    DH Darien / WBBB
    Tarp
    HEX Asym / Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 40
    Suspension
    Beetle/ Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by deejayen View Post
    And also extremely necessary!!!
    Ha ha, I've been in UK for 15 days and never seen the sun. Otherwise it is a magical place!

I have both, a Hennessy (side zip) and the minifly. The tarp fits perfectly over that hammock!

Thanks very much! It's good to know the Minifly is good fit for the Hennessy.

I have a Prolite pad, but it's a full length rectangular one. I did try it in the hammock a couple of weeks ago - it was okay when I went into the hammock at first, but it was freezing cold on my side where the pad didn't wrap around my arms. When I tried shuffling around to reposition the pad it was quite difficult to control, and the corner tried to poke out through the mesh!

However, I have a short Nordisk 2.5 pad I bought a few years ago and have never used, so I might try that. I was also wondering about buying a Hennessy Double Bubble pad and trying that, but my hammock is a single layer with bottom entry, so it might also be quite awkward, although I think the pad has some sort of hook attachment.

I've been trying to hang the hammock so that it has roughly a 30 degree angle, with the foot end slightly higher than the head end. My choice of trees is limited, and they're probably close to the minimum recommended distance. However, I'll try to find some other trees to test it with.

I've been watching a load of videos, including Shug's. They're all very helpful!

New Member 3 Feet High and Rising's Avatar
    Hammock
    New One Wind hope this is the One
    Tarp
    Only have DD
    Insulation
    Fire
    Suspension
    DD Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by deejayen View Post

Hi deejayen

Look Army surplus or ebay for a British Basha.
    Plus you got 99p Poundland get you out a jam for tarp. the list goes on Screwfix Toolstashion for better and lager tarps. No need to buy a Bush craft named tarp.
    To much chat, not enough hang.

Thanks! I'll have a look around. Someone also suggested the Alpkit 3-metre square tarp at around £38.

• + New Posts