Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Monterey, Central Coast California - Camping, backpacking, hang...

Hello!

I recently moved to Monterey, CA. Anyone else here in the central coast area?

I'm looking for serene places to hike, camp, or just hang. I'm up for backpacking, but am not currently able to do much more than 2-3 miles of an easy to moderate hike in.

Any suggestions??
    I've been searching and researching, but would love some recommendations. I searched the forum and didn't see any recent posts for my area.

Thank you!!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    That's a beautiful area and VERY different from St. Paul. You'll have a wonderful time when you get out.

Charlotte

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I lived in Monterey for a couple of years but wasn't backpacking much then.

However, when I did go I went down to Big Sur and accessed the Ventana Wilderness from there. Beautiful country.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by xMagnolia View Post
    That's a beautiful area and VERY different from St. Paul. You'll have a wonderful time when you get
    Charlotte
    Yes! It is so beautiful here! I love living by the ocean and all the different spaces I get to explore. It's so different from Minnesota, in a really good way. I miss the Lakes and my loved ones but very happy I moved.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I lived in Monterey for a couple of years but wasn't backpacking much then.

However, when I did go I went down to Big Sur and accessed the Ventana Wilderness from there. Beautiful country.
    Big Sur is one of my favorite areas, so far. Camping amongst the redwoods is my short term goal!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Quartz, if you are not familiar with poison oak and/or poison ivy, you might want to get educated on it. And not from those useless plant books with just line drawings. I don’t have a ready source to ask - we don’t have it around here - but I know some who have unknowing stumbled upon it in the Big Sur area. Not Fun. If you stick to established trails and formal camp sites I imagine you’d be fine. But part of hammock camping can be to go off the beaten path.

Maybe there’s a community college nearby with a botany class. You don’t have to take the class (but it might be interesting). Just ask the instructor if she can show you an example of what to watch out for.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    Big Sur is one of my favorite areas, so far. Camping amongst the redwoods is my short term goal!
    Of course California has nearly limitless opportunities in almost every environment imaginable, rain forest to snowy mountains to desert.

A couple of other places I backpacked while there were Mt Lassen Volcanic national park and Sequoia National Forests. National forests are great because there are usually fewer restrictions and far fewer people visiting them. I remember occasionally encountering grazing cattle at Sequoia NF. But that was in the late '80s and perhaps it's totally different now.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Quartz, if you are not familiar with poison oak and/or poison ivy, you might want to get educated on it. And not from those useless plant books with just line drawings. I don’t have a ready source to ask - we don’t have it around here - but I know some who have unknowing stumbled upon it in the Big Sur area. Not Fun. If you stick to established trails and formal camp sites I imagine you’d be fine. But part of hammock camping can be to go off the beaten path.

Maybe there’s a community college nearby with a botany class. You don’t have to take the class (but it might be interesting). Just ask the instructor if she can show you an example of what to watch out for.
    Thanks! I'm from Minnesota, where we have these poisonous plants, too. I'm learning about the other potential dangers that are in this surrounding area that I don't have experience with (such as rattle snakes and black widow and brown recluse spiders).

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Of course California has nearly limitless opportunities in almost every environment imaginable, rain forest to snowy mountains to desert.

A couple of other places I backpacked while there were Mt Lassen Volcanic national park and Sequoia National Forests. National forests are great because there are usually fewer restrictions and far fewer people visiting them. I remember occasionally encountering grazing cattle at Sequoia NF. But that was in the late '80s and perhaps it's totally different now.
    I love it here so much because of the much more varied opportunities! (and no -50 degree weather). Thanks for your suggestions of backpacking at Mt Lassen Park and Sequoia National Forest.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG Economy
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Hey I live in Watsonville.
    I've been going to Henry W. Coe State Park every other week/month. Lately to Ventana Wilderness via Arroyo Seco Campground.
    I like going to either because they're so close and super convenient. No permits or reservations needed. You just show up to the trailhead whenever and drop in an envelop with cash.
    I usually go on solo overnight trips Sun-Mon.
    Here's the recordings of my trips. https://www.alltrails.com/members/rodney-tao/recordings

edit again:
    I like going to Ridge View camp when I just want to get out. It's only a mile from the visitor's center parking. Henry W. Coe State Park is pretty brutal in the Summer though.

https://coepark.net/activities/backp...idge-view-camp
    Last edited by rodfather; 08-22-2022 at 21:01.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast