Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Need to add 10* more to my TQ system

Besides adding extra sleep clothing, what ideas might you have to add another 10* to my top quilt warmth. Would appreciate your input.

Images
    - hammock top cover
    - down or synthetic puffy blanket
    - nalgene filled with hot water
    - chemical hand warmers

I picked up one of these that I use (via alligator clips and some shock cord) to make an extra layer between hammock and UQ for the wildly varying temps I get from night to night. Feel like it gives me a solid 5° (maybe as much as 10°) bump in comfort. Packs down fairly well, and not a big weight impact if you aren't on the trail and instead working from a basecamp or car. Wouldn't see any reason it couldn't be used on top just as easily.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Jacks R Better Quilt liner is what I use. It can be a bit bulky if you don't roll it right, but adds warmth when needed, and makes a great summer TQ.
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Images
    Other than clothing, which is what I most commonly do to add top insulation? The old bombproof, works every time(for me) vapor barrier clothing. But, actually seems to add over 20ºF for me, so might require some venting of insulation if you only need 10F(or simply start with less insulation/clothing than normal). Depending on how prone I was to cold feet or legs, I might just use the VB shirt. If you are not using an already lined version, like the Stephenson's Warm Light(sp?) I use, it will amount to the added bulk and weight if a thin nylon(perhaps sil-nylon) shirt. If using the lined version, I think mine runs about 8 oz or less in X-large, it can possibly replace another layer that I would have otherwise been carrying, depending on temps.

This is an approach that can not be matched for weight, bulk and efficiency by any other addition, seems to me, because of it's unique advantage: in addition to being virtually guaranteed to keep me a lot warmer, it is the only approach that also guarantees keeping my actual insulation drier, by preventing any condensation of any body vapor in the insulation once the dew point is reached(or wicking of sweat before dew point is reached). So, no loss of loft or less efficient insulation as the night goes on, due to dampness. Particularly useful on longer trips.

And easily experimented with to see if you like it or hate it. By using WM grocery bags or bread bags for VB socks(for more comfort, over thinnest layer available of socks), with or without wool socks over the bread bags. And using even breathable rain gear for upper body and leg VB. Amazingly, seems to work. Maybe not as well as a true VB, but does seem to work adequately. (and if it does work, means zero added weight/bulk/expense). Since I had so little of my gear with me on last year's Christmas trip to the NC mountains- sleeping at about 3500 ft with forecast lows below 20 plus wind- with no tarp and worried about wind under the porch where I was sleeping- I both layered up and used my breathable rain jacket as a faux VB. ( I think I only had the thin nylon socks I ha worn all day, no VB, but a sit pad inside my foot box and down jacket over the foot box Shug style, I'd have to go back and look at my original report).

Using a 30F TQ and 30F insulated hammock, at 25F plus some definite wind chill, after about 2 hours I was roasting, head to toe. I had to remove my hood and foot pad and the down jacket over foot box, and I don't know what all else to cool down enough to sleep. I'm pretty sure a bunch of that overheating, at temps below the rating of my quilts, was due to the faux VB/breathable rain gear worn close to my skin. The 30F quilts are conservatively rated, IMO, but not enough- even with some warm clothing- to make me overheat a lot at 25F plus wind chill, I don't think.

So, if all else fails, this is 1 more arrow in the quiver, so to speak. Edit: this approach also adds the same amount of warmth to your UQ, unlike added clothing which might be mostly compressed, though fleece not so much.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-10-2022 at 10:18.

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    you think one of these might be overkill BillyBob?
    https://www.amazon.com/tyvek-suit/s?k=tyvek+suit

I made a top quilt from a Costco Down Throw. I intended to use it by itself in very warm weather, but have had good success using it inside another top quilt to extend the cold weather range. Snaps to attach it inside the main quilt would help, but so far I haven't tossed/turned enough for the two quilts to drift apart during the night.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    The Costco throw is good one, but its not very multiuse for its 16oz. You probably have a down jacket anyway, might think about down pants. Like the hot water bottle between your legs, you keep your legs warm and it warms the rest of your body. I also find a down pillow for feet to rest on adds some unexpected warmth - not multiuse, but light.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Several options depending on your balance of weight and $:
    1. If $ is not an issue, buy a TQ rated to that temperature.
    2. If bulk/weight is not an issue, the JacksRBetter fleece quilt is a good option. If I'm car camping, I use it all of the time in Winter as a liner to keep by quilt clean. It's a great late Spring/Early Fall top quilt by itself if bulk is not an issue.
    3. Low $, Low bulk but not you have to reload each trip. I've taken (4) of the hand warmers. Put on a pair of loose socks. Put on another pair of loose socks with the hand warmer in between the two layers of socks. While wearing a synthetic t shirt, put (1) hand warmer under each kidney. You have to watch the temperature rating of the hand warmers because some of them get hot enough to melt some fabrics. I usually carry (4) as a back-up if I'm going to be close to the rating of my insulation.
    4. I usually carry a jacket (puffy or down). You can put the jack on "backwards". Slip your arms into the jacket with your chest facing the jacket. I often do this in the Winter when I wake up with that "Phantom Chill" around 4 to 5 am.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawldaddy View Post
    you think one of these might be overkill BillyBob?
    https://www.amazon.com/tyvek-suit/s?k=tyvek+suit
    HA! I do think so, unless you are also going to cook meth while you are out! But, the price seems right. For a full suit with hood? OTOH, are they disposable? Which I guess means very fragile and not very reusable. Yep, a bit overkill, but would work. I think I'll just stick with my SWL VB shirt and socks lined with FuzzyStuff, and my WPB rain gear pants under my puffy pants or just under my TQ, depending on temps.

Then again, just wearing my WPB pants and hooded jacket seemed to work really well that one time, as far as boosting warmth at least. But I've not yet been able to put it to the test to see if it truly works as well to keep body moisture out of the insulation. I've never understood how something supposedly breathable can also work as a VB, but people say they do. Even SWL(sellers of VBs) says they will work. And if they do work even almost as well as a true VB, then that means nothing extra has to be purchased, or packed and carried. Then again, if you have been needing your rain gear as actual rain gear and it has not dried out by bed time, that might be a problem. Or, if you need your rain gear while sitting around camp(or doing chores) in the cold, blowing snow AND are wishing for a VB? Pros and Cons, but I will probably stick with just packing something extra that can work as a VB if needed. Either way, this approach sure has added to my warmth assurance.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-11-2022 at 07:46.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast