Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Symmetrical or asymmetrical

I've been hammocking in a symmetrical one wind 11 ft hammock. It's got a small hole in it so I'm looking to upgrade and was thinking about the blackbird xlc.

Here's my dilemna. I toss and turn a lot when I sleep and sometimes I sleep on my right side and other times I sleep on my left (often times I do both throughout the same night). When on my side in my one wind, I prefer to sleep facing out, rather than facing in. Which means that I THINK I need a symmetrical hammock so that I have the freedom to sleep in any direction I choose and can switch sides of my hammock in the middle of the night.

However, I've never tried an asymmetrical hammock.

What are your thoughts on the issue? Given my circumstances could I get an asymetrical or should I stick with symmetrical?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm a fairly rigid sleeper (always head right, feet left), but I just can't understand asymmetrical hammocks. It seems like a design flaw to me. Whether it is tarp, hammock, or UQ, I'll take symmetrical every time.

I had an HH Asym Zip hammock for a couple of years - the asymmetrical design was always annoying to me. I sold it and have relied exclusively on symmetrical designs since - one less thing to think about! I'm currently using a Dutch Chameleon hammock.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Asym works perfectly for me. It keeps me directly over my bottom insulation. I can see out of my hammock from both sides without pushing a bunch of material out of my way. Asym keeps me in the hammock's sweet spot, never any calf ridge.

Everyone is different and will have different results. I sleep in a symmetrical DH Freebird nearly every night at home, but when I put one on my back it's the Whisper Asym. Better insulation kit and lighter weight. For me, better night's sleep. We could talk about integrated UQ's, no cold spots, no shifting of insulation, no UQ suspension, but that is for another day. HYOH
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I have two Dream Hammocks- a symmetrical Raven and an asym Darien. FWIW, I don't notice any discernible difference in comfort between either.

Hammock
    Off-brand cheapo
    Tarp
    ALPS UL
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Meanwhile, I didn't even know there were asymmetrical hammocks....only tarps....
    Grace & peace,
    Dragonhunter
    No one sits around talking about that trip where it was 76 and sunny the whole time.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonhunter View Post
    Meanwhile, I didn't even know there were asymmetrical hammocks....only tarps....
    It's a bit of a misnomer, really. The hammock body is still just a rectangle. It's the parallelogram cut of the bug net that makes it "asymmetrical."

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    I have two Dream Hammocks- a symmetrical Raven and an asym Darien. FWIW, I don't notice any discernible difference in comfort between either.
    +1. I also usually sleep on my back or left side. I don't like the fabric up on my face so like the flexibility. Yes the UQ does need an adjustment depending on how I'm sleeping.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Off-brand cheapo
    Tarp
    ALPS UL
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    It's a bit of a misnomer, really. The hammock body is still just a rectangle. It's the parallelogram cut of the bug net that makes it "asymmetrical."
    Ahhh. Okay. That makes sense.
    Grace & peace,
    Dragonhunter
    No one sits around talking about that trip where it was 76 and sunny the whole time.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I started with an left asym DW Half Zip. Got a WB Eldorado and flipped it right lay. Finally figured that I needed a symmetrical. Like OP, I like to face out towards the net...I can do that with either lay direction. I'm predominantly a left side sleeper, so an asym kinda works but I'd wake up when switching to lay on my right side because the wall of fabric would try to roll me on to my back in the Half Zip. Same thing in the Eldorado when switching to lay on my left side.

So, now I have a DW Chameleon with the symmetrical bug net. I can flop around all night now.

I find it easier using a 3/4 length UQ (I have the HG Phoenix) vs a full length (HG Incubator) when switching lay directions. The full length foot end will open up gaps when I switch lays. Using the UQ hooks on both sides of the foot end helps somewhat, but gaps and cold spots can still happen. So in that case, I'll try to sleep asym style and not move my body to the opposite side. With the Phoenix, it's not a problem.

Good luck!

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow Symmetrical
    Tarp
    DD XL with doors
    Insulation
    SMR inferno UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains
    Images
    I have an 11 ft Dream Hammock's Sparrow - Symmetrical and love it. Went about 70 inches wide. Not only can you lay head and feet to either side , it has no dedicated head/foot end. Makes it much easier to put up and then decide which end you want your head at.
    Dave

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast