Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by supermatt9 View Post
    I've been hammocking in a symmetrical one wind 11 ft hammock. It's got a small hole in it so I'm looking to upgrade and was thinking about the blackbird xlc.

Here's my dilemna. I toss and turn a lot when I sleep and sometimes I sleep on my right side and other times I sleep on my left (often times I do both throughout the same night). When on my side in my one wind, I prefer to sleep facing out, rather than facing in. Which means that I THINK I need a symmetrical hammock so that I have the freedom to sleep in any direction I choose and can switch sides of my hammock in the middle of the night.

However, I've never tried an asymmetrical hammock.

What are your thoughts on the issue? Given my circumstances could I get an asymetrical or should I stick with symmetrical?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    Based on this description I'd say stick with symmetrical.

Personally, I sleep head right and find that the other direction feels weird and uncomfortable.

People's preferences vary wildly, so go with what works for you.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by supermatt9 View Post
    I've been hammocking in a symmetrical one wind 11 ft hammock. It's got a small hole in it so I'm looking to upgrade and was thinking about the blackbird xlc.

Here's my dilemna. I toss and turn a lot when I sleep and sometimes I sleep on my right side and other times I sleep on my left (often times I do both throughout the same night). When on my side in my one wind, I prefer to sleep facing out, rather than facing in. Which means that I THINK I need a symmetrical hammock so that I have the freedom to sleep in any direction I choose and can switch sides of my hammock in the middle of the night.

However, I've never tried an asymmetrical hammock.

What are your thoughts on the issue? Given my circumstances could I get an asymetrical or should I stick with symmetrical?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I'm not an expert but I think the term assymetrical refers to the cut/design of the bugnet. If you unzip the bug net off the XLC, you have a simple, gathered end hammock. The hammock body/fabric is symmetrical about the ridge line. I toss and turn in my XLC. I'll start off head left, feet right, but I will often switch (I just neutral bias my underquilt). At o' dark thirty when I switch the opposite direction, I don't notice the spacing with the bugnet.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    DH Sparrow, Chameleons, an assortment of 90* hammocks all symmetrical and although I have owned asyms I wouldn't even consider limiting my sleeping options with by owning another asym.

Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB
    Tarp
    MtnFly
    Insulation
    lynx, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    UHMWPE + prussik
    I also used to have a OneWind and flipped around a lot; I replaced it with a bridge, the Warbonnet Ridgerunner, which I love, and flip around all I want. But eventually for backpacking weight and volume purposes, I also went ahead and got a Warbonnet Blackbird, which is asym, and while I can deal with it for a few nights at a time, I gotta say, given a choice I'd prefer having a symmetrical again. Given your comments, I'd say you will likely be happier in a symmetrical; you can also get a TrailWinder UQ from Jared at Simply Light Designs which works like a Warbonnet Wookie UQ but is synthetic, and Jared can make it symmetrical for you if you want. So that would take all the fiddle factor out of the UQ issue, if you can deal with a little extra weight of symmetrical amounts of fill vs asym-- Jared's also started making add-on mods so you can get a lighter base quilt and add-on more fill for different seasons.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    My wife can switch between head left and right in the middle of the night. I feel like I'm about to fall out of the hammock if I lay head right. To each their own.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    An asymmetrical hammock is all about the attached bugnet. Different cuts allow for options around your head or your feet, which then makes it a hammock with distinct ends for head and feet, and therefore, asymmetrical. In general, the lay is not different, just not switchable.

I like a netless hammock which is always symmetrical (with very few exceptions). Not to be confused with an asymmetrical hammock with the net unzipped and removed, which I found out affected how I laid in it (not the lay itself).
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    An asymmetrical hammock is all about the attached bugnet. Different cuts allow for options around your head or your feet, which then makes it a hammock with distinct ends for head and feet, and therefore, asymmetrical. ...
    Actually, most asym hammocks do not have distinct head and foot ends, just left vs right. I even suspect that you could attach a Blackbird net the opposite way and effectively swap ends. It would still have the same lay (unless you FLIP the net.)

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    One of the main reasons the WBBB and WBBB XL are so popular is that fact that they have that nice footbox which gives you an automatic asymmetrical lay. I have three and personally like them so much I don't think I could go back to a symmetrical. I have several symmetrical hammocks that just collect dust and I don't remember how many I have sold since getting a warbonnet. But as Shug would say, my opinion differing from yours does not mean yours is wrong (or something like that).

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    I like a netless hammock which is always symmetrical (with very few exceptions).
    I like a netless hammock as well. But around here between the mosquitos and the noseeums, the biting bug season is pretty long in the woods.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean McC View Post
    I like a netless hammock as well. But around here between the mosquitos and the noseeums, the biting bug season is pretty long in the woods.
    Been using my netless SLD Treerunner a lot this spring and, before that, the milder winter days. But the bugs and temperature are really starting to build now so I'll be using something netted going forward, either Half-wit or Darien.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast