Hammock
    Off-brand cheapo
    Tarp
    ALPS UL
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch

Thumbs down Weekend Trip in Enoree District of Francis Marion NF, SC (29 APR 2022)

So, after a very successful foray into hanging/backpacking in National Forests in Uwharee NF (North Carolina) a few weeks ago, I'd set my sights on the Enoree Ranger District of Francis Marion National Forest in South Carolina. I had high hopes, it's only about an hour north of Columbia (where we live). I did some map recon and it looked like a good 2-night loop could be had by combining a portion of the Palmetto Trail and the Bunscombe Trail. We made our plans, packed our bags, got our permit, and this past weekend we were off.

I got off work early, picked up my wife and we were off. Made it to the trailhead at the south end of the Enoree Passage of the Palmetto Trail about 3:30. We planned to hike in about 4 miles that evening. The trail was fine. Adequately marked. I saw a pair of Scarlet Tanagers, which was cool. We arrived near where we thought we'd camp (about mile 4 according to the section map) but ended up just loading up on water and pushing a little farther because it was kinda marshy and mosquito-y. Went about a 1/2 mile or so and were getting within about an hour of sunset, so we settled for a wide spot in the trail just onto the Bunscombe Trail heading counter-clockwise. Not ideal, but workable. Ate our dinner, hung our hammocks and called it a night.

(If you do hike this, when you hit the pipeline right of way, you have to go right (NE) and look for the purple blaze to pick up the Bunscombe loop if going counter-clockwise.)

Up and ready to hit the trail by a bit after 7 on Saturday. We kept an eye out for potential hang sites if we came back. Really only saw one that looked good, but it was a ways from water. Made it up to the Brickhouse campground and headed south on the combined Palmetto/Bunscombe Trail. Bunscombe is a horse trail, which is generally fine, apart from the occasional horse exhaust, but on this section there were many areas that were apparently usually wet that the horse turned into muddy pits. Not ideal. We were also noticing that the places we thought we might get water from the map were not always accessible. In particular where there is a spur of the Bunscombe trail that goes over Headley's Creek. The bridge is probably 20' over it, and the banks are steep and soft.

I had hoped to load up water there and find a camp in the next mile or so, which would leave us about 8 miles out on Sunday. We kept moving. By about 2 we drank the last of our water and were starting to discuss how to bail on this trip. We were at about 13 miles at this point and doing about 8 more to get back to the car would put is there about dark. Not ideal. (And I was trying some different shoes this trip and had blisters on both heels....)

Looking at the map we saw we were coming up on a forest service road. Called one of our kids and they agreed to drive to a map pin on said road and rescue us. We made it there about 20 minutes ahead of them. Ended with about 14 miles for Saturday. Got to our car, went home and enjoyed showering a day earlier than expected.

Pros:
    Close to Columbia
    Easy, free dispersed camping permit process
    Not crowded...saw 1 group of 4 on horse back and two young bucks who were doing the whole Enoree Passage in one day hiking, and that was it on the trail.

Cons
    Lack of good places to camp. Lots of undergrowth and lots of marshy areas. Not ideal for tents or hammocks.
    Mosquitos (not horrible, but reminded my I like cold weather better!)
    Deer ticks. Found 2 (so far...)
    Lack of accessible water (Now that we know where we can and can't get water, this could be overcome).
    Just no payoff....if there had been some cool views, or just a couple of good places to camp near water, it would have been totally worth it.

Maybe con for some, the most snakes I have ever seen in one trip (5). All were garters or rat snakes from what I could tell. One was decent sized (3')

I really, really wanted this to be great....but it wasn't. Totally worth driving an extra hour to get to Uwharee for the future.
    Grace & peace,
    Dragonhunter
    No one sits around talking about that trip where it was 76 and sunny the whole time.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Thanks for sharing your report. Sometimes people think they only need to share the reports of fabulous trips, but an objective, not so fabulous, report is just as valuable.
    Glad you were able to bail without too much trouble.
    Hopefully the next report will have more sunshine and roses.

Charlotte

Hammock
    Off-brand cheapo
    Tarp
    ALPS UL
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by xMagnolia View Post
    ...but an objective, not so fabulous, report is just as valuable....
    Charlotte
    Indeed. If I had found some, may have chose to go somewhere else for the weekend, but I believe in exploration, too. That's how diamonds in the rough are found.
    Grace & peace,
    Dragonhunter
    No one sits around talking about that trip where it was 76 and sunny the whole time.

Hammock
    Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    Yeah, there's just not a lot of decent backpacking in the Midlands area. I generally head to the Foothills Trail in upstate SC. I haven't thru-hiked it yet (77 mi). I just do out and back hikes on sections.
    Bill

• + New Posts