Lightweight Bridge Hammock

Lightweight DIY Bridge Hammock for sale - $90 (includes shipping in CONUS). Please be sure to read the entire post. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me and we can discuss. Thanks!

Materials:
    1.1 olive ripstop nylon. No-see-um netting for the removable bug net. Easton aluminum spreader bars. Aluminum descender rings.

Dimensions and Specs:
    Hammock length is about 74 inches long. (I am 6’ tall and it fits me perfectly. If you are taller or want more space, this hammock may not be your size.)
    Weight: Hammock + net + net suspension line + hammock suspension: 12.9 oz.
    Stuff sack: .6 oz
    Spreader bars: 9.6 oz (total for both bars)

Notes:
    Up for sale is a very light weight bridge hammock. It is made with a dynaglide suspension system (the triangle suspension from the hammock to descender rings and descender rings to whoopie slings). The hammock is symmetrical, using Easton spreader bars that are ~37” each. They separate in the middle for packing up. The bars are held in place by placing the tips into a girth hitch/larks head connection on the suspension.

The bug netting covers half of the hammock but drapes over the user so with a top quilt on, you are covered from bugs. The netting is attached by Velcro and is removable. There is shockcord to lift the netting off of your face and give extra room. I am including plenty of extra cordage (No Tangle Line) so you can tie it off to your tarp ridgeline and customize that part.

I used Professor Hammock’s fantastic tutorials when I made this hammock, but used some different approaches to various components. This hammock uses very strong suspension materials—the bars and dynaglide will hold hundreds of pounds. The sides use the ½ inch Sailrite tube webbing that is very strong and capable of handling a lot of weight. However, I would not recommend this hammock for anyone above 175 pounds just to be on the safe side because it uses 1.1 ripstop nylon for the body. I think it can handle more weight than that, but I don’t want anyone to take unnecessary risks. The buyer assumes all risks. For reference, I am 6’ tall and weigh ~160 and I made this for someone with my body type in mind.

The ripstop is “2nds” so there are a couple of some streaks in coloration that is common with nylon 2nds.

The corners where the spreader bars get inserted are protected with plastic tubing to minimize rubbing between the bar, the dynaglide, and the webbing for the hammock body. One of the plastic tubing pieces got tweaked and I removed it. It’s not a big deal and does not affect the suspension. Some sort of substitute could probably be used, but it’s not important. The webbing is very strong and in great shape.

The stuff sack had a tiny hole that I patched up. That is the green square in the picture of the stuff sack.

There may be some fraying at the endcaps. This has nothing to do with the structure of the hammock. It is cosmetic only. If you’ve ever tried making endcaps for a bridge, you know it’s tricky. I did my best make it “look pretty” but it’s an imperfect science. The top of the endcaps are tightened up with shock cord—it worked well.

The tree straps, carabiners and toggles are NOT included in the sale. I am including three soft Velcro strips that can be placed on the hook Velcro that is sewn to the hammock body. When you remove the bug netting, you can replace the three soft Velcro pieces. It’s not crucial to use it, but it will help reduce any rubbing on your clothes as you enter/exit the hammock and when you roll it up and place into the stuff sack.

I made and used this hammock years ago, but have not done much hanging the past few years so it’s time to find a new home. Plenty of life in this hammock and a great opportunity to try a bridge hammock without breaking the bank. If you are into counting grams, this is nice lightweight bridge hammock to add to your kit.

-Michael
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    What is your recommended distance between apex points on your suspension? For example, that distance for a RidgeRunner is usually between 12 and 13 ft. I’m asking for the minimum distance between trees to hang it.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

13 feet. That is what I always tried to use.

• + New Posts