Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by ShroominDave View Post
    Here are some pics of the hammock. Really awesome. It is about 50 degrees today and with the top cover on it is quite warm inside. set up was a breeze as you can imagine. I only got about 5 minutes in it before my wife hijacked it and is currently napping - HA. The ends cinch up tight no gaps shoulder and feet detect zero cool spots. Very happy!!!!!
    I'm trying to understand this.

From your pictures, it appears that this is not truly an integrated design. It looks like this is a zip-on UQ that can actually be removed. Am I seeing this correctly?

An integrated design would have the insulation built into the bottom of the hammock body as I understand it.

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    Both options are possible. I think Jared still philosophically leans towards modular systems (being able to swap out the UQ layer for different temperature ratings, basically, so that you don’t necessarily have to buy multiple hammocks for multiple ranges). So he has come up with a zippered design.

But he will actually sew the insulation layer to the hammock if that’s what you want. I bought a basic hammock from Jared with the lightest layer of apex available — permanently attached.

Quote Originally Posted by sloanie View Post
    Both options are possible. I think Jared still philosophically leans towards modular systems (being able to swap out the UQ layer for different temperature ratings, basically, so that you don’t necessarily have to buy multiple hammocks for multiple ranges). So he has come up with a zippered design.

But he will actually sew the insulation layer to the hammock if that’s what you want. I bought a basic hammock from Jared with the lightest layer of apex available — permanently attached.
    That clarifies things for me a bit. The only pics I saw had zippers.

Any indication that your sewn on insulation compromises the hammock body or is this a double layer hammock?
    Last edited by TominMN; 07-01-2022 at 17:58.

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    I don’t get the impression that the UQ being attached compromises the hammock. It actually isn’t physically attached on the head / foot end; just on the sides. As Jared described to me:

Permanent is rolled into the hem of the hammock, while the removable has the zipper in the hem.
    So since it’s just attached by being rolled into the hem, I don’t see the body of the hammock having any compromise to its integrity— but, I’m not the expert or an engineer I simply trust Jared’s experience and expertise.

Quote Originally Posted by sloanie View Post
    So since it’s just attached by being rolled into the hem, I don’t see the body of the hammock having any compromise to its integrity— but, I’m not the expert or an engineer I simply trust Jared’s experience and expertise.
    I think what he has going with the Trail Winder, with the flexibility of adding layers and being able to remove it, appeals the most to me. Can't hurt that it can be moved from one hammock to another.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    I think what he has going with the Trail Winder, with the flexibility of adding layers and being able to remove it, appeals the most to me. Can't hurt that it can be moved from one hammock to another.
    I still get air pockets with mine. That's what sent me to SG.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBBB, DH Hybird, TL
    Tarp
    Superfly, WD, TH
    Insulation
    HG Incub/Burrow
    Suspension
    web / buckles
    Just back from camping with the new insulated Trail Lair in the Colorado mountains. I have the stitched-on 30* insulation, and used a 20* TQ. Super easy setup, and the adjustable end cinches kept things comfortable at different temps. Got chilly one night, a little CBS, but I only had to reach out to cinch up the head end a bit more and things got cozy again. So this current version def keeps me comfy from mid 30’s to 70+. And I’m guessing I only need to add any standard UQ to this setup to be comfy below 30*. Will test it out when things get colder, I have 40/30/20/0 to mix and match to see what will work best at various freely cold temps. Really enjoying it so far. Oh, and the insulation does not change the lay, feels like laying in a standard TL.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123