Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Integrated insulated Trail Lair….

For anyone interested, on SLD website Jarred has been working on a project of insulation integration with the Trail Lair.

Check in with the descriptions on his website as it sounds to be an appealing Trail Lair.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Great hammock. Can’t wait to give a new design a shot. Hope he makes a wide version

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow Symmetrical
    Tarp
    DD XL with doors
    Insulation
    SMR inferno UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains
    Images
    I believe I am the first recipient of the new insulated hammock. I reached out to Jared in February this year with an idea for an insulated hammock that could be full width and a 12 ft hammock. 50 some emails later and his pure genius and I now have a full width with zip off insulation that is also full width. It Jared awhile to figure out how to build it so I could use hex wide and also have the insulation just as wide. From what I can tell it is awesome but I only received it 2 days ago and in has been raining here in Michigan ever since. Hopefully by this weekend I will have it up. If I do I will report back with some pictures. So far I have managed to take it out of the stuff sack and review the details. Perfect fit and finish as always.

I will say I do not have a scale to weigh it but it is probably close to 5 lbs. I chose Climashield 6.0 for the insulation and a double layer inner in hex 1.6 and outer in hex 2.2. I was worried about the hammock stretching and thus compressing the insulation so I went with heavy material to negate any stretch. Should mention I am 6'1" and 300 lbs.

Very excited to have this as I am really sick and tired of waking up in the middle of the night only to find my UQ has slid off of my shoulder and underneath me to the bottom of the hammock. Not fun waking up cold.

What I think is really cool is that I can always have a lighter or heavier UQ made and just zip it on!!!!!!

Jared, A million thanks for taking on this project. I will give a much more in depth report very soon.

Thanks again
    DaveD
    Dave

Hey ShroominDave, Thanks for dropping in giving us the peeps with the very new integrated Tail Lair.

Look forward to follow you in here at the perfect opportunity for your hang time, experiencing the hang to sharing out some thoughts.

Thanks for the heads up!…. To which has been on my mind, the question of stacking quilts or as you mentioned zipping adding another, nice!

I to followed in a year ago, sourced and purchased an integrated hammock, just perfect for my requirements.

A style of hammock ultimately purposeful for ease with comfort.

Hammocks, on the scale of choices widening, appealing options sizes materials, add ons and insulation down or synthetic, all in one.

As an owner with the original Trail Lair and a Trail winder, it is very possible l may add the all in one integrated Trail Lair to the fleet.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DD XL with doors
    Insulation
    SMR inferno UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains
    Images
    I hope to get some hang time this weekend. The only downside to this set up is weight and bulk, however I have a radial compression bag for it and the weight is what it is - a double layer hammock AND and under quilt. I can always separate the two and pack them in separate bags but that kind of defeats the "all in one" concept and ease of set up.

Stay tuned!
    Dave

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    Came by to see if there was any talk of Jared’s insulated hammocks and lo and behold, this thread :P

I noticed the insulated hammock listed on the Simply Light Designs site last week and pinged Jared about it (I was toying with getting a Trail Winder). I actually just wanted something a bit basic for indoor sleeping during cooler months.

I was surprised to hear him say he’d made a wide insulated hammock (I’ve been a wide hammock user for several years now), though he did indicate he’s planning to just offer standard width hammocks for the time being. Looks like it was your hammock, Dave I have a few wide Trail Lairs, but I’ve recently discovered I can sleep well in a standard width as long as it’s 12’.

I’m with you, though. I move around too much in my sleep, quilt always comes off my foot end (and sometimes the shoulder). Insulated hammocks are a game changer for those like us

I actually just ordered a standard width Hexon 1.6 Tree Runner with some 2.5oz climashield apex (permanently attached). Yeah… I definitely like to collect hammocks

Hammock
    Tarp
    DD XL with doors
    Insulation
    SMR inferno UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains
    Images
    Here are some pics of the hammock. Really awesome. It is about 50 degrees today and with the top cover on it is quite warm inside. set up was a breeze as you can imagine. I only got about 5 minutes in it before my wife hijacked it and is currently napping - HA. The ends cinch up tight no gaps shoulder and feet detect zero cool spots. Very happy!!!!!image_50434305.jpgimage_50727169.jpgimage_50399233.jpgimage_50420737.jpgimage_50446593.jpg
    Dave

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Trail Winder, ORM
    Suspension
    MyersTech+whoopie
    Thanks for sharing!

I've been thinking about sending my 20° Trail Winder in to get the modular update to extend its range. I wonder if it would be possible (I should ask) for Jared to convert an existing setup to an integrated system.

How's the placement of the insulation? Having the shock cord is nice to help dial in placement when sleeping more towards one end of the hammock or the other, depending on hang. But knowing it's not going to ever slip out from underneath me sounds amazing.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Trail Winder, ORM
    Suspension
    MyersTech+whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by sloanie View Post
    ’ve recently discovered I can sleep well in a standard width as long as it’s 12’.
    I'm currently in an 11' and have been thinking about trying 12'. I've also been thinking about an integrated insulation hammock like Superior Gear, but max they offer is 11'. While having down is nice, this new offering is excellent since 12 footer is on the table now.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DD XL with doors
    Insulation
    SMR inferno UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains
    Images
    I know it is hard to see in my pictures but the insulation I had made full size, so it is the full rectangle if that makes sense. I toss and turn in my sleep so I wanted full coverage head left ft right or head right ft left. I can move around and am still covered. The insulation goes right up to the zippers on the sides as well. I know Jared can place the insulation on the diagonal but that was not what I was looking for. Also this is my first 12 footer. I am 6'1" and 300 lbs. The 12 footer is very comfortable but I am not sure I notice a difference to my 11 ft DH Sparrow. Both super comfy. I really like the trail lair view from inside though. Being able to look out is fantastic. The Sparrow, because I got wide as possible has a wall of fabric near your face so not as easy to get an outside view.
    Dave

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast