Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Hope this becomes a trend. Never fully understood why integrated never caught on. At the time Bonefire and Sheltowee started building, WB's BB was probably considered the "caddy" of hammocks and integrated still cost more.

Still not a starter hammock kit, but once you realize when and where you are getting cold, for me, from the bottom up, Integrated insulation kits begin to make a lot more sense. Total answer to gaps and cold spots. No UQ suspension to be fighting, and I always without exception vent with my TQ before messing up the seal on my UQ.

Keep up the good work SLD!
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by bsteele View Post
    I'm currently in an 11' and have been thinking about trying 12'. I've also been thinking about an integrated insulation hammock like Superior Gear, but max they offer is 11'. While having down is nice, this new offering is excellent since 12 footer is on the table now.
    Superior offered a 12’ for a few months; I asked why the option is no longer available and primarily it seems to be a function of just simplifying the offering / reducing the number of options people had to choose from. I did decide to try one (ordered in October, arrived in January) and see how I’d do in it; that’s the hammock that confirmed that 12’ long but standard width was feasible for my carcass. (I’ve been using wide hammocks since the Chameleon was launched, mostly 12’ wide Trail Lairs from SLD— I’d found 11’ standard width wasn’t quite working for me at my height.)

But yes— because of the way Jared continues to operate, he still offers a lot more in terms of customization / options. Excited to try out his insulated hammock designs!

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Hope this becomes a trend. Never fully understood why integrated never caught on. At the time Bonefire and Sheltowee started building, WB's BB was probably considered the "caddy" of hammocks and integrated still cost more.

Still not a starter hammock kit, but once you realize when and where you are getting cold, for me, from the bottom up, Integrated insulation kits begin to make a lot more sense. Total answer to gaps and cold spots. No UQ suspension to be fighting, and I always without exception vent with my TQ before messing up the seal on my UQ.

Agreed! The integrated insulation makes hammock camping so much more user-friendly. I think part of it is just reaching a broader audience who may not need or want the modularity of traditional hammock sleep systems or care about the weight tradeoff of the extra fabric / insulation involved.

(My original interest in integrated insulation came from introducing younger kids to hammock camping who weren’t mature enough to remedy the issue of an underquilt that had slipped off and left them cold… Integrated insulation completely eliminates that worry / concern and lets *me* sleep better knowing *they* will be warm underneath no matter what ).

Hammock
    WBBB, DH Hybird, TL
    Tarp
    Superfly, WD, TH
    Insulation
    HG Incub/Burrow
    Suspension
    web / buckles
    Thanks for getting the word out on SLD insulated hammocks. I decided to add another Trail Lair to the collection, so I ordered the insulation on the newest one. Such a great hammock! I expect it will perform very well in the cooler weather, but I had it out today when it was nearly 80° and humid, and it was great. With the insulation fully loosened there was enough airflow to keep it from getting too warm. I think this will make an awesome multi-season hammock. And still, the most comfortable hammocks I own.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Nice work! Good choice of fabrics, SD. That hammock will last a long time. It's also nice to see a discussion of insulated hammocks with numbers of knowledgeable participants chiming in.

My fully kitted out 13ft wide trail lair custom with winter top and the 30c under quilt, feels not good enough. The zip fixes my under quilt qualms

Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post

It seems that some lower insulation is the norm under most circumstances so there's a lot to be said for having a basic lay of insulation integrated as long as it is possible to easily add an effective additional layer for colder temps. Either that or have a hammock with integrated insulation for each temperature need!

The biggest drawback I see is that this style of hammock seems best matched with synthetic insulation IMHO. I'm intrigued by Superior's offerings with down. I wonder how much more difficult cleaning is(?) Not that down requires cleaning all that often but still... OTOH, the hammock body probably ends up requiring laundering somewhat more often and that means that the down is subjected to unnecessary washings. Maybe it's no big dal.

After getting the "starter" to try out hammock sleeping, am interested in getting an integrated TL.

Is the optional wind screen worth it ?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    Quote Originally Posted by North66 View Post
    After getting the "starter" to try out hammock sleeping, am interested in getting an integrated TL.

Is the optional wind screen worth it ?
    I would say so, if it’s the same on on the regular TL. I was recently at Boy Scout Camp for a week, and the first night we had very unseasonably cool temperatures (lowest I’ve ever had at that camp was 59, and it got down to 49). I’d brought my summer quilts, not wanting to sweat through my 30* set (lows are usually more like 75*), and was able to buy myself a few degrees by zipping on the winter cover/wind screen, and putting my UQP on under the UQ. I won’t say I was toasty, but I slept more than any of the rest of the troop, I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Journey
    Insulation
    UP Synthetic
    Suspension
    beckett hitch
    Brilliant execution on that zippered UQ. I'd be curious to learn what the weight of just the hammock is (knowing that you asked for a two layer). Actually, what I'm really curious about is what the added ounces are for the zippers. It's got to be challenging to design any UQ such that it doesn't get crushed when a person is in the hammock, however, I suspect that a little bit of trial and error will get that ironed out so that a two layer isn't needed to offset that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast