Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Underquilt compatibility

Just wondering - are underquilts compatible with all hammocks?

I don't have a hammock yet, but think I'd go for a full length underquilt from the off. However, I'm just concerned that if I don't like the hammock I buy and want to change to another one, am I likely to run into issues trying to make the underquilt fit?

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    In general, any underquilt designed for a gathered end hammock will fit any gathered end hammock.

If you want a more definitive answer, maybe let us know what underquilt(s) you are considering.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Note Countryboise’s reference of a GE (Gathered End) UQ to GE hammock. That’s because there are also Bridge Hammocks that use spreader bars and have a more rectangular shape and specific width dimension. I have a variety of GE UQ’s, full length and ¾ length (which is almost full length on me; it’s a feature, not a bug). They all fit on all the GE hammocks.

The other “special case” is the WarBonnet Wookie, It’s designed for the WB BlackBird or XLC.

You can always, “find a way”, to make something work. But if your concern is a GE hammock, stay away from UQ’s designed for a bridge hammock and stay away from a Wookie unless you are getting a BlackBird or XLC. Any regular length or partial length GE UQ will work with a GE hammock.

It’s best to partition off bridge hammocks and their UQ’s from GE hammocks and UQ’s made for them.
    I’ve never had a GE UQ that wouldn’t work easily with any GE hammock I own.
    I’m not talking about a Wookie that is made specifically for a BlackBird or XLC - and yes, some people have made the Wookie work with other GE’s. And that’s a degree of maybe.

The popular RidgeRunner bridge has it’s own Lynx UQ that fits just fine. And other vendors make a UQ just for the RidgeRunner. Others have made their GE UQ’s work, in a fashion, on other bridges - but there's a degree of maybe.

I do have a couple of RSBTR Bridge Kit hammocks and my ¾ length summer season, WildernessLogics (R.I.P.) UQ’s work fine with them.

So, if you stick with the GE world, you will have no problem with GE UQ’s.
    You might make a GE UQ work with a bridge.
    I would not try to make a Bridge UQ work with a GE.
    I would not try to make a Wookie work with a hammock other than a BlackBird or XLC (yes, others have made it work).
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 04-26-2022 at 17:33.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    Certainly it has been a frustration moving from GE to bridge, that some of my underquilts aren’t very compatible. Some of the more rectangular ones can be made to work, but my SLD Trailwinders are GE only. Never had a problem moving GE quilts between hammocks, though for 12’ hammocks I often add an extender at one end to avoid overtightening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks very much for that.

I haven't decided on a particular hammock or underquilt yet. For a gathered end hammock I'm currently thinking about something like a Hennessy Hyperlite or Dream Hammock Darien. I've not really looked into underquilts yet, but remember reading about Jacks R Better a few years ago, so might start there.

Your information about bridge hammocks is especially interesting as I was planning to buy a gathered end hammock to see if I like using a hammock, and if do then I'd buy a Townsend Happy Medium UL bridge hammock. However, it sounds like that might need its own dedicated underquilt, in which case it might make more sense to jump in at the deep end and go straight for the bridge hammock.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by deejayen View Post

I haven't decided on a particular hammock or underquilt yet. For a gathered end hammock I'm currently thinking about something like a Hennessy Hyperlite or Dream Hammock Darien. I've not really looked into underquilts yet, but remember reading about Jacks R Better a few years ago, so might start there.

Your information about bridge hammocks is especially interesting as I was planning to buy a gathered end hammock to see if I like using a hammock, and if do then I'd buy a Townsend Happy Medium UL bridge hammock. However, it sounds like that might need its own dedicated underquilt, in which case it might make more sense to jump in at the deep end and go straight for the bridge hammock.
    That's a tough call because it's hard to say, without experiencing both, which one you'll ultimately prefer. I started off with GE and didn't have any problems with it (DH Darien) but, just for the heck of it, tried bridges a couple of times, one of them being a prototype made by Bill Townsend for which I had made some custom spreader bars. I didn't hate the bridge but found that for me GEs are a bit more comfortable, easy to use with various bug nets whether integrated or add-on (Fronkey, sock, HUG) and more tarp friendly (no bridge specific side panel pullouts, no bar ends that interfere with the tarp, shorter hang distance, and it's also much easier to close off the end of a tarp with GE. GEs are also a bit lighter, not requiring spreader bars.

Some people seem to struggle with 2 main issues with GE, which are calf ridge and underquilt drafts due to adjustment issues, which are areas that bridges don't present problems. However, I think that I, like a lot of shorter people (I'm 5'8" 173cm), don't have as many problems as some taller people. Early on I decided I wanted a 10' hammock and the Dream Hammock gurus (the Smurfs) recommended a 10' x 64" which has proven to be absolutely perfect for me from the get-go. I've had SLD hammocks made to the same spec and every time it's GE nirvana.

I'm more than a bit OC (ultralight, mimimalist) when it comes to simplicity, so for these many reasons I prefer GE.

I am also somewhat appreciative of the dilemma faced by our friends across the pond, what with shipping costs, VAT, customs etc.... "mistakes" can be a lot more expensive.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Towns end, WBRR
    Tarp
    Mini/thunder, ugq
    Insulation
    AHE,zenbivy,JRB,HG
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy chain
    Quote Originally Posted by deejayen View Post

For the Townsend bridges their are no “dedicated” underquilts per se….but many have used traditional GE UQ’s with great success. I myself use the JRB Mt Washington series and they fit fantastic on my happy medium. Bill Townsend also has some good videos on his YouTube channel detailing fitting an incubator from hammock gear.
    with this being the case… no harm done in getting a GE and traditional underquilt.
    Pictured is my Townsend happy medium with JRB mt Washington 3.kris
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kmazuro; 04-27-2022 at 11:58.

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    A couple thoughts:

1) Common wisdom is to try a relatively cheap gathered-end hammock to see how comfortable it is; I’d probably do that before jumping straight to a bridge.

2) Underquilts for gathered end hammocks from reputable vendors can be resold pretty easily and retain their value pretty well, so your risk is not too great if you were to buy one. Likewise I’m sure you could re-sell a nicer gathered-end hammock relatively easily if you wanted to.

We could ask a lot more questions if you wanted help narrowing things down, but sometimes that’s part of the fun of discovering

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Maybe ask around your area and see if there are any camping groups or ask here for others camping Scotland or surrounding area. You may be able to find some one within a reasonable distance ... that will let you try out their gear. You might get really lucky and find both.

I started with a DIY GE and I was quite comfortable, but kept trying new stuff and eventually settled on a bridge ... just dismantled my first GE underquilt and harvested the down for my new bridge hammock underquilt.
    Most bridge hammocks narrow down in the middle (think ~32-36") , so making a quilt much wider doesn't really serve much purpose ... so bridge quilts tend to be narrower. Saddlebags on a bridge are a nice addition, but to be used you pretty much exclude using a GE quilt, as they need to be drawn up over the hammock side, to be properly snugged below .... this results in the saddle bags interfering with where the GE quilt needs to be, a bridge hammock quilt just snugs under the bags and is fine.

You can make stuff work between hammock types, but in general it is always better to use stuff for it's intended purpose IMO ... obviously, that's a general comment and there will be lots of exceptions.
    I would definitely scout around and see if you can find a way to try before you buy ... nothing worse than paying for something you eventually don't like

Brian
    Last edited by Cruiser51; 04-27-2022 at 14:36.

Thanks again for all the helpful information.

I'm still dithering about the hammock. I think it makes sense to try a GE, so I'll probably go that way first, then try the bridge if I seem to be getting on okay with the hammocking life.

I see that Western Mountaineering have their SlingLite UQ, so I'm interested in that if it's likely to be compatible with the majority of hammocks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast