Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Every sil nylon I’ve had sagged like crazy every time it rained. Sil poly doesn’t .
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Getting your tarp taut is not only a fabric issue, but also a design issue. I mostly use Warbonnet silnylon tarps and have had no problem to set them up without sag. But tarps with edge binding have always sagged. Probably because the edge doesn't stretch enough to match the inner.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Catenary edge cuts help a lot. Put more tension in the center of the panel.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I agree with Hutzelbein in terms of tarp design affecting the "tautness" of a tarp's pitch. I would also add that the geometry of the way the tarp is cut can also cause certain areas of the tarp to not pull as taut as other areas. I think it's important to run the guyouts in the same direction that the corner pullouts are sewn. But depending on how the cat cuts are made (or if there are even cat cuts at all), following the natural angle of the pullouts may not stretch the tarp tight enough.

That said, I've had very good luck with my silpoly Warbonnet Mountainfly, and have no issues pitching it nice and tight. And the best part about silpoly is that once it's tight, it STAYS tight!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Catenary edge cuts help a lot. They effectively lengthen the edges which distributes more tension to the middle of the panel.

One must also pay close attention to achieving optimum guy line angle away from the tarp. And I think it actually helps to suspend the tarp under a CRL which avoids the very high tension in the RL portion and spreads forces more equally over the entire tarp.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Thank you everyone! I really appreciate your consideration and input!

I have a long trek to live under my new tarp (to continue), so I really want to make sure it's what I need. Your posts have helped a lot.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Ditch the shock cord if using it, don't use split rings, and crank it down if its a hex with cat cuts. The more aggressive those cat cuts are, the more it stays taut. Had my Maccat and other hex's 10+ years.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Ditch the shock cord if using it, don't use split rings, and crank it down if its a hex with cat cuts. The more aggressive those cat cuts are, the more it stays taut. Had my Maccat and other hex's 10+ years.
    Check!

Now I wait to see what Jared from SLD creates for me! Very excited!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Singingcrowsings, hang your own hang of course, but know that opinions differ.

I use might use a Split ring on one or both sides of the ridgeline as sort of a fuse (if backed up by some cord so it doesn’t completely blow out). I’ve been in wind that was so strong it turned that “ring” into an oval. Better to destroy a split ring than a tarp. And Bungee isn’t just for getting a taut pitch. It allows the tarp, with enough wind force, to deform and “spill the wind”, then spring back into shape. Also, should someone trip over a guyline, there’s a little give before the force is completely loaded in the stake/guyline/tarp.

If I’m using my little MiniFly, I may not take those precautions. But if I’m using something with much more surface area, and there’s a chance the weather won’t be friendly, I might add some or all of what I’ve mentioned above.

But don't fret about it. The first time you camp in 25 - 30 mph wind, it will all become clear. You may find your tarp performed just fine with no extra split ring or bungee cord. Or not.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 04-30-2022 at 11:58.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Singingcrowsings, hang your own hang of course, but know that opinions differ.

I use might use a Split ring on one or both sides of the ridgeline as sort of a fuse (if backed up by some cord so it doesn’t completely blow out). I’ve been in wind that was so strong it turned that “ring” into an oval. Better to destroy a split ring than a tarp. And Bungee isn’t just for getting a taut pitch. It allows the tarp, with enough wind force, to deform and “spill the wind”, then spring back into shape. Also, should someone trip over a guyline, there’s a little give before the force is completely loaded in the stake/guyline/tarp.

If I’m using my little MiniFly, I may not take those precautions. But if I’m using something with much more surface area, and there’s a chance the weather won’t be friendly, I might add some or all of what I’ve mentioned above.

But don't fret about it. The first time you camp in 25 - 30 mph wind, it will all become clear. You may find your tarp performed just fine with no extra split ring or bungee cord. Or not.
    Yes, I already have my way of setting up my tarps that works well for me. I was just trying to understand what I was seeing in the material. And I love flying sideways in a storm! Ha ha! Thanks, cougarmeat!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast