Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Getting your tarp taut is not only a fabric issue, but also a design issue. I mostly use Warbonnet silnylon tarps and have had no problem to set them up without sag. But tarps with edge binding have always sagged. Probably because the edge doesn't stretch enough to match the inner.

Thanks for hearing me!

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL Summer/ Winter
    Suspension
    Birch Buckles
    I was one of the first to get a SilPoly Tadpole tarp from Marty at Wilderness Logics. He described the new, cutting edge material as, "The tarp is made of a blend of polyester and nylon works better and sews better than a all poly tarp." "The fabric: A new Scylla Fused 10d nylon & polyester that is infused with silicone this, combination of nylon and polyester fibers alone with silicone is very strong and has very little stretch even when wet."

I've never had a problem getting mine taught on the initial deployment. This is from this past weekend at Tippecanoe St. Park, Indiana.

https://i.imgur.com/QCzZ2rO.jpg
    Formerly McBlaster
    The Tent is a Lie

Quote Originally Posted by Singingcrowsings View Post
    Flex, yes, that makes sense. Billowing is different. What I'm seeing, is without tie-outs or bars of some sort, the tarp would continually be on you. The tarps move as though they are not tied down, except for the seam. I'm confused by what I'm seeing.
    i, for one, would be interested to see an example or two of such video which concerns you, there might be a bit too much speculation going on, as to why that might be, otherwise

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Singingcrowsings View Post
    Check!

Now I wait to see what Jared from SLD creates for me! Very excited!
    I think you'll be very pleased. Even without cat cuts the ground tarp he made for me from Xenon 0.9 remains fairly taut.

This tarp was pitched about 3:30 the previous afternoon and had not been re-tensioned at all overnight or in the morning...

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    OMG> Someone stole your hammock Bob! Not even sure that picture is allowed here.

Getting out to play with a ground tarp set up was in the to-do list for today but Mother Nature is not cooperating. It's pi$$ing rain down here.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Hahaha, I know... pure heresy!

Yep, seriously icky this weekend. I don't cancel for a little rain but I would for this.

My thoughts and best wishes go out to the thru hikers who are getting a huge dollop of Type 3 Fun. Been there, done that, didn't enjoy it.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

I am looking to get a new tarp myself, looking at the superior gear hammock although they have really long lead times, also different warbonnet tarps, leaning toward the thunderfly, originally was wanting DCF but after watching a lot of videos on them I think I would prefer a silpoly fly, I like that it packs smaller and it is not that much heavier and it does not make as much noise as DCF, probably would be ok with either but I think I may like silpoly a little more.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    I was in this exact same situation! I needed a new tarp and saw the silpoly quest at HG. I ordered one blindly and have taken it out a few times. Its a little heavier than my MacCat but not much. It has been great so far. I feel so much better after seeing this thread. Mine was pretty taught.
    IMG_4385.jpgIMG_4385.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123