Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy tarp

Plaese advice my 90 degree hammock

Hi, I try to build flat lay hammock and i think 90 degree hammock is my solution. But i found 90 degree hammock only 3 brands. Amok, Exped and HammockTent. I think Amok hammock is most functional, Exped and HammockTent are lightweight. I don’t like dyneema strings, too complicated. So my design is simple, weight not much but add chair function. I think upside of 90 degree hammock,
    1. can hang in small gap of trees
    2. flat lay sleep
    3. more space

Please freely comments and share your opinions.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Member 3 Feet High and Rising's Avatar
    Hammock
    New One Wind hope this is the One
    Tarp
    Only have DD
    Insulation
    Fire
    Suspension
    DD Whoopie Slings
    Images
    hay Powerboil

That looks cool, you made larger then Amok?
    Have you had many sleeps in it?
    I did look at Amok but seem to be a pain get in & out

Hammock
    Hennessy hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy tarp
    Quote Originally Posted by 3 Feet High and Rising View Post
    hay Powerboil

That looks cool, you made larger then Amok?
    Have you had many sleeps in it?
    I did look at Amok but seem to be a pain get in & out
    thank you for comment
    i think not bigger than Amok. i try to sleep test 3-4 hours, feeling ok.
    about how to get in/out, i think air mattress is problem to get in/out.

That looks wonderful...
    Can you share the measurements?

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    Nice! Is it designed for a specific pad width? Sometimes I wish there was a 90* hammock made for a 30” wide pad.

Also I like that the pad isn’t running through a sleeve; how well does it stay in place? Do you think you’d want some way to secure the pad to the hammock? (I like the idea of being able to use more sleep systems here, such as a quilt or sleeping bag that has a sleeve for attaching it to a pad.)

Images
    Very nice! I love my HammockTent ( HT, but they are no longer making them). And I can see what you mean about the dyneema strings being too complicated for a home made version.

Does your design require a pad for use? The Amok does, the HT does not, at least potentially. It can be remarkably comfortable even without the pad, though it is VERY strange how the only thing keeping the hammock length from collapsing is my body. Not so much of a problem when on my back, but when I of to fetal position, oh boy! Then the length of the hammock is exactly the same as the distance from my head to my feet in fetal position! Truly weird, but amazingly comfortable. When the length collapses, a supporting ridge is formed right under my side, just the opposite of most hammocks. It (with no pad) is the most comfy hammock I have tried for fetal sleeping. With a pad, it is probably ONLY equal to the best of any other other hammock I have tried for side (fetal or legs straight). IOW, still as good as it gets, for me, based on the other hammocks I have tried.

I do not know why the Amok requires a pad while it is optional in the HT. Which is why I asked if your's required a pad. Anyone know what causes the difference? Of course, some would say the HT actually requires a pad, in order to give it structure. But, if I can insulate (if needed) by using some form of INNER QUILT, I can definitely sleep in my HT with no pad. Just takes some getting used to, but very comfy.

Of course, I am going to need a pad, or something, once temps drop below 70F or so. Maybe even higher if wind and moisture are an issue. If needing insulation, I have several options:
    1: A pad inside the hammock like you are showing
    2: Preferably, a thick pad inside the 3" deep pad pocket, which does not raise the center of gravity, and the pad will never move. The pad inside the Hammock has stayed put fairly well, but I can see where it might move, especially when getting in. I have not tried it much. But a pad in the pad pocket DOES NOT MOVE, and does a better job of giving structure to the hammock so that it does not collapse.
    3: An INNER quilt inside the deep pad pocket. There is virtually no compression of loft, and it stays put.
    4: Some combination of 2 with 3, a quilt on top of the pad. Depending on pad thickness, it can be a much thinner, much lighter quilt.

Anyway, those are the things I like about the HT and it's deep pad pocket. Good job on your new DIY hammock!

Hammock
    Hennessy hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy tarp
    Quote Originally Posted by sloanie View Post
    Nice! Is it designed for a specific pad width? Sometimes I wish there was a 90* hammock made for a 30” wide pad.

Also I like that the pad isn’t running through a sleeve; how well does it stay in place? Do you think you’d want some way to secure the pad to the hammock? (I like the idea of being able to use more sleep systems here, such as a quilt or sleeping bag that has a sleeve for attaching it to a pad.)
    thank you for comment.
    In this pics, i didn’t make anything to lock pad. but i design pad lock and underquilt attachment in final prototype.

Hammock
    Hennessy hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy tarp
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartolo View Post
    That looks wonderful...
    Can you share the measurements?
    210*320 cm

Hammock
    Hennessy hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy tarp
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Very nice! I love my HammockTent ( HT, but they are no longer making them). And I can see what you mean about the dyneema strings being too complicated for a home made version.

Does your design require a pad for use? The Amok does, the HT does not, at least potentially. It can be remarkably comfortable even without the pad, though it is VERY strange how the only thing keeping the hammock length from collapsing is my body. Not so much of a problem when on my back, but when I of to fetal position, oh boy! Then the length of the hammock is exactly the same as the distance from my head to my feet in fetal position! Truly weird, but amazingly comfortable. When the length collapses, a supporting ridge is formed right under my side, just the opposite of most hammocks. It (with no pad) is the most comfy hammock I have tried for fetal sleeping. With a pad, it is probably ONLY equal to the best of any other other hammock I have tried for side (fetal or legs straight). IOW, still as good as it gets, for me, based on the other hammocks I have tried.

I do not know why the Amok requires a pad while it is optional in the HT. Which is why I asked if your's required a pad. Anyone know what causes the difference? Of course, some would say the HT actually requires a pad, in order to give it structure. But, if I can insulate (if needed) by using some form of INNER QUILT, I can definitely sleep in my HT with no pad. Just takes some getting used to, but very comfy.

Of course, I am going to need a pad, or something, once temps drop below 70F or so. Maybe even higher if wind and moisture are an issue. If needing insulation, I have several options:
    1: A pad inside the hammock like you are showing
    2: Preferably, a thick pad inside the 3" deep pad pocket, which does not raise the center of gravity, and the pad will never move. The pad inside the Hammock has stayed put fairly well, but I can see where it might move, especially when getting in. I have not tried it much. But a pad in the pad pocket DOES NOT MOVE, and does a better job of giving structure to the hammock so that it does not collapse.
    3: An INNER quilt inside the deep pad pocket. There is virtually no compression of loft, and it stays put.
    4: Some combination of 2 with 3, a quilt on top of the pad. Depending on pad thickness, it can be a much thinner, much lighter quilt.

Anyway, those are the things I like about the HT and it's deep pad pocket. Good job on your new DIY hammock!
    thank you for your feedback.
    HT, i think it for ultralite people. but to tiny and expensive for me.
    about pad, summer weather in thailand is not good for pad and i don’t like sound when i move or flip body on pad but i still add pad lock and undequilt attachment with this hammock too.

Hammock
    Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    As another fan of the 90degree design, let me just say how much I love your innovation, but also that you've rigged it up in your living room. Well played!

Any plan for a bug net? I bet bugs are brutal in Thailand!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast