Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by quanjano View Post
    I’ve heard you have to be more careful with packing dcf because it will lose its integrity or something along those lines. Right now I use a Dutchware snakeskin and I don’t roll the tarp or anything beyond just pulling the snakeskin over the tarp. Will that be fine for the DCF?

While I have this opportunity to change my setup, I am also looking into what to do with the doors on the new tarp. As it is, I don’t actually tie out the doors to stakes or the trees or anything, I just use mitten hooks and shock cord to clip my door to the opposite corner of the tarp. Is there any reason to carry an extra 4 stakes and have to worry about 4 more tieouts during setup instead of just clipping the doors?
    I've found DCF to be too stiff to just pull on a mesh snake skin without risk of damage. Instead, I roll mine from the end corner. Almost as fast and the skin slips on easily.

I also use mitten hooks and shock cord to keep the doors folded back under the tarp. That's how they stay 80% of the time, but are very quick and easy to unclip and hook to the opposite tie- out to close the doors. I do carry a few shepherd's hook titanium stakes for the rare times I might want to stake out the doors, but on a thru I'd probably leave them at home in favor of using sticks given how infrequently I would use them, especially on a thru. With smaller trees and a closer pitch I have at times been able to attach the hooks around the tree, but that isn't frequently feasible.

By the way, I also keep a small prussik on the continuous ridge line to keep the doors on one end tied back when I want to close the doors at the other end.

I hope the rest of your hike goes well. Enjoy and cherish every moment!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I actually did the exact opposite. I had a HG Standard Tarp w/Doors, but sold it and purchased a WB Mountainfly. While the HG tarp was nice and super lightweight, I missed having the extra side coverage of my old hex tarp. I like to use porch-mode whenever possible, and like to keep my camp stool under the porch. The HG dyneema just didn't give me the porch space that I prefer. But the tarp did function well for the time I had it.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    I actually did the exact opposite. I had a HG Standard Tarp w/Doors, but sold it and purchased a WB Mountainfly. While the HG tarp was nice and super lightweight, I missed having the extra side coverage of my old hex tarp. I like to use porch-mode whenever possible, and like to keep my camp stool under the porch. The HG dyneema just didn't give me the porch space that I prefer. But the tarp did function well for the time I had it.
    I have, and use, tarps made of both DCF and other materials, although DCF usually wins. I'm debating with myself right now whether to take the slightly larger (and heavier) Dutch Xenon tarp on a trip this weekend. Low daily mileages, no water carries, so the Helinox Zero is coming with me as well. Fairly high wind predicted, which is a consideration.

Earlier I was hoping for warmer weather but with lows damm near freezing, I'm carrying the larger pack (50 liter vs 35l) and heavier quilts and looking at it as more of a late winter trip. I'm just getting over Covid as well, so I'm glad it's a "low pressure" trip.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I have several tarps: polyester, silnylon, Xenon, and DCF. However, the HG DCF Winter Palace is my go-to tarp. I've owned it for ten years and it looks brand-new. It's been through dime-sized hailstorms, and 60 mph winds.

That night with 60 mph winds was a doozy. Several owners of DCF tarps had to bail - but I didn't. I think the main difference between my setup and other DCF owners was that I actively re-staked my tarp whenever I felt the winds were getting really crazy (about three times). I had to get up about 2 am in the morning to restake my tarp, which was a miserable experience given the winds and the rain (five inches fell that night).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    SilvrSurfr, was your tarp setup broadside to the wind or Parallel? Unfortunately, Bend doesn’t have a wind tunnel facility were I can try out different orientations. For now, I’ve decided to rig the tarp parallel to the wind when I can - exposing the least amount of surface area to the wind. I don’t know if I’ll stick with that. But the last time I was in more than a summer breeze, it seem to minimize the “pull” forces because of smaller surface area and the support trees blocked some of the wind.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    I just got a Hammock Gear DCF tarp for my birthday (WooHoo!), so this thread suddenly gained more relevance for me. The manufacturer advises not to stuff it, so I followed Bonsaihiker's tip/experience: I rolled it up, skinned it, and then rolled the skinned tarp up like a cinnamon roll. It still fit easily back into the original sack provided by HG, even with the added bulk of the ridgelines, guylines, and skins.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    cmoulder also has a video showing his pleated fold method. If I wasn’t currently enamored with skins, I’d be using his method.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12