Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Will I be warm enough?

Headed to Au Sable River in northern Michigan next weekend and a bit worried about temperatures. My plan is to sleep in my Eldorado hammock with a 5.9 R value sleeping pad and a 0 degree North Face sleeping bag. I'm embarrassed to say I have not hung in cold conditions like these in a hammock (new to the hanging community). Lows are going to be in the low 30's. Should I be good or would you recommend getting an under quilt and ditch the sleeping pad?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks!

New Member 3 Feet High and Rising's Avatar
    Hammock
    New One Wind hope this is the One
    Tarp
    Only have DD
    Insulation
    Fire
    Suspension
    DD Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have Google were is Au Sable River in northern Michigan & what low 30s

Down to how much you want to carry or can carry.
    I would still take sleeping pad & I would have a hot drink before bed if cold.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Welcome. Your question is not easy to answer because everyone's metabolism and heat/cold tolerance is different. What one person is willing to tolerate is often quite different from another person's tolerance. The common follow up question is: Are you a cold or warm sleeper? If you sleep warm (for example, you're the person who pushes sheets off yourself in the bed) then you might be fine with a 0 degree bag in 30 degree temps. But it's impossible to know, and that's why most people here test their gear locally in the temps they expect to encounter before taking a trip.

Having said all that! I'm a big fan of UQs. I tried the sleeping pad method and it sucked (for me) and I immediately came home and ordered an UQ. I don't know that you'll find an UQ in time for your trip. I don't think a lot of vendors keep shelf-stock....but I could be wrong; my experience with Hammock Gear and Enlightened Equipment has been a six week wait. But maybe there's something to be had on the for sale forum.

Let's assume you'll be cold, just for the sake of the mental simulation. You can reduce some discomfort by bringing insulating layers and wearing them to sleep. You can find $60 down pants on Amazon that will provide additional insulation. Wear your puffy jacket to sleep or zipper it up and wrap it around your feet (stole that idea from Shug!). Finally you can add some warmth with wind protection. An under quilt protector (usually no wait for this item) will serve as a wind barrier, preventing convection heat loss from the breeze blowing across the underside of the hammock. And of course you can batten down the hatches by pitching the tarp close to the ground. Good luck.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    I had no trouble in 33* and rainy with a pad and a 15* bag. You can follow Bobonli's advice to increase your comfort. And do a little exercise before you get in to get the blood warm.

Charlotte

Hammock
    1.2 MTN streamliner + myog net
    Tarp
    HG DCF Std, Lawson
    Insulation
    Wooki, old EE TQ
    Suspension
    1.4 UHMWPE, Becket

Will I be warm enough?

Don’t go to sleep cold. Put on your puffy and do some light exercise before getting in, not enough to sweat. Eat a good sized chunk of cheese. Look up the Nalgene water bottle trick. Have a bail out plan if weather is way different than forecast. Then you’re doing all the things.

With R5.9 and a 0d bag worst case scenario you should be more than fine going to ground with a low pitched tarp and good site selection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Will I be warm enough?

What they said is all top notch!
    And you can take Hot Hands and put apply them to your clothes before going to sleep.
    Some Hot Hands are bean bag shaped and some are flat with peel off stickers that show their adhesive surface. I like the flat stick on version of Hot Hands.

And you can make ready a campfire—but don’t light fire until and unless you wake up too cold to sleep.
    Then all you have to do is light that fire and sit by fire until sunrise.

A fleece balaclava, will be good to keep on your mind.
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 04-22-2022 at 20:48.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You should be just fine. Don't go to sleep cold though. Try to be warm. Do some chores or jumping jacks.
    Enjoy and learn!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Agree w/ Shug that you should be fine unless you're a very cold sleeper.

That said, I prefer underquilts. They're not inherently warmer than a pad, but there are other advantages: warmer shoulders, etc vs sneaking off the pad and getting cold, staying put vs the the pad moving around and being harder to get "just right".

Don't go to bed hungry. You may need to have calories to burn to not get cold. And be sure to start the night in dry clothing.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    I'd consider taking a reflective car sunshade. If you have a double layer hammock you can slide it in on top of the pad with the reflective side pointing towards you. Using one of these with a single layer hammock can be a little tricky; however, you can cut the shade to the same width as your pad and improvise an attachment with thin shock cord to keep it from sliding around. This stuff is light and can be folded to a relatively small package size.
    Ever eat a pine tree? Me neither...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast