Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Work,

Keep some chocolate or cheese available. When you get up to go potty, take a few bites. Those extra calories will help you stay warm in the coldest morning hours.

FWIW, I used a CCF pad and Teton , 0 degree, rectangular, sleeping bag, for about a year. I had to save up for a pair of quilts. I also wanted to make sure that I was going to stay with Hammock Camping, before I spent a chunk of money.

The CCF and 0 degree bag worked just fine, all year, as long as I modified my clothing, to match the weather. However, without a doubt, Quilts are the best and easiest, way to go.

Use loose fitting, base layers, of polypropolene. Wear a beanie or baclava. Slide on some light polypro gloves and/or pair of wool gloves if needed. Put on a loose fitting pair of polypro and/or wool socks. Try to get by with the least amount of bed wear you can get by with. Some of that body heat has to get out into the bag, to make the bag work. Its the same method with Quilts.

Have fun.

Let us know how it went.

Bob

New Member LVI Bushcraft & Survival's Avatar
    Hammock
    Want a CLARK, but I have a DD
    Tarp
    British basha
    I always have a couple of hot water bottles with me in colder conditions. Heat water until it just starts a rolling boil and remove from stove. I have consistantly measured water temp at around 190F with a digital thermometer at this point, so I need not check it in the field. Fill water bottles and toss in your sleeping insulation (bag/blankets). Drink something hot before diving into your hammock, and eat a high carb meal. The high carb supper will give your body the energy to burn, raising your core temp. Your insulation is there to keep the heat you generate in.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12