WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl

Ridge line rigidity on Ridgerunner

So I recently acquired a Ridgerunner, and so far I’m delighted. I’ve picked up a couple of AHE underquilts, a Spindrift, and the Fugal buttons, and I definitely sleep better in it than in a gathered-end.

So here’s my question for more experienced Ridgerunner owners. I do have the newer model with the rings in the bugnet to attach a ridgeline, and it came with the shock-cord lines to attach to the hammock suspension. I added a ridgeline ring-to-ring, and initially replaced the shock cords with a bit stiffer shock cord, to get less droop. Now that summer is coming, though, I’m used to hanging a battery-powered fan from my ridgeline. On the structural ridgeline on a GE hammock, there’s no trouble with the weight, but the shock cords can’t really handle it without tightening them to the point that they’re not really elastic (and I don’t like putting bugnet under that much elastic tension).

What I have done, but haven’t spent the night in it with, is to replace the shock cords with a hybrid system, of non-elastic cordage with a shock-cord loop at the end; it has some flex, but less than a whole shock cord would.

Am I risking a torn net by doing that? My assumption from the fact that they ship it with elastic cordage is that the bugnet design is prone to tearing under tension, but I have trouble seeing that unless the cordage is really out of whack.

—r

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    As you’ve seen, the bugnet on the Ridge Runner is a different critter than that on a GE hammock. On a GE hammock, the ridgeline is under the bugnet and limits the distance between hammock ends. With the RidgeRunner, there is no ridgeline per-say. If you make one, going from apex point to apex point, it is outside the bugnet. The bungee cord attached to the end rings on the bugnet can be attached to a tarp suspension - if run under the tarp,r somewhere along the hammock suspension line, or DIY ridgeline (outside the net). There is no interior line to hang an “organizer” or anything else because the RR relies on its “saddle bags” for storage. If you use a spindrift, it may have rings inside for attaching the net bungees. But again, there is nothing under the net. I’m guessing your fan would be less than effective outside the netting.

T’were it me, I would not mess with the netting setup. Replacing a stretchy line with a fixed line, even it adjustable (like a UCR) doesn’t sound like a good idea.

If you added your own ridgeline between apex points (where the two dogbone lines come together), then you could unzip the netting and have access to that line. But it would be pretty high, so you need to attach a drop iine and attach the fan to that vertical line in order to bring it closer to you.

I see you are from NC and that’s way different from my location. I’m guessing you could have skeeters AND high humidity; not a fun combination.

Though I haven’t tried it, Thermacell makes a “repeller” that creates a “dome of protection”. Though they have one that uses a fuel cartridge, the USB chargeable might be more practical (with a battery pack recharger). Something like that would allow you to unzip the net, then you could hang your fan on a drop line from your DIY ridgeline.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    I wouldn’t recommend sleeping with a Thermacell — I have several, actually, and they work but the stuff eventually gives me a headache. We do have weather that’s high humidity with enough mosquitoes to leave a stripped corpse, hence net + fan. I’ve been happy putting things in the pockets on the Ridgerunner that I put on the ridgeline in my GE, but I haven’t figured out what to do with the fan.

The newer RidgeRunners do have rings to put a ridgeline inside the net, so tension on the ends does not transfer to the netting.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Hey Raladd! Remember me from the Uwharrie hang? I was trying out my new Dutchware Banyan. I also have a WBRR, and have solved for what you're talking about to at least my satisfaction. I put a measured length of zing-it between the internal rings (i.e., beneath the bugnet), and attached a Dutch fleaz to the outside ring, so I can attach a line of zing-it around the tree (with a Dutch hook) and tighten the whole shebang to my satisfaction. It works like a charm and I'm not at all worried about damage to the bug netting. Hopefully you can see what I did in these photos.

thumbnail_IMG_1341.jpgthumbnail_IMG_1340.jpgthumbnail_IMG_1339.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    Iceman,

I do remember you (and your Banyan — kinda jealous there :-) ), and that’s fairly close to what I’ve done. I added a bit of UHMWPE cordage (not zing it, but comparably rigid and holds knots better) between the inner rings, and I’ve used reflective guy-line from the outside rings, with a shock cord loop to avoid issues. So far it will hold the fan out of my face.

Now I just need to save up for the carbon spreader bars to backpack with this thing. :-).

—r

Images
    I have the old(original) WBRR. It has no sort of RL. I'd have to look, but I don't think there is any sort of hole in the net where a RL could be passed thru, I think the shock cord is just attached/sewn outside the net. Then once the hammock's suspension is tensioned appropriately(about 25º) to the trees or stand, I then run the net's shock cord to the suspension and tighten as needed to lift the net. No option for a RL unless it is outside the net. I have not used any RL 90% of the time.

So I am having some difficulty picturing how it works on the newer RRs. Is there an opening in the net(with grommet) which allows a RL to pass thru? Is there a supplied RL but made of shock cord? If so, I'm not seeing the advantage to just having some shock cord outside the net.

But, IF there is a grommet/opening which will allow a cord to pass thru, couldn't some low stretch line- no longer than the recommended distance between the Apex rings( about 13 ft on my old one, I think? ) - be run thru those openings from apex ring to apex ring- or even tree to tree- without damaging the net? Or would that be too much tension on the net?

If it was too much tension, once the hammock is occupied- then couldn't the same cord- after the hammock's main suspension has been correctly tensioned- just be hung with a little sag so that the net remains at normal tension? Though it is sagging, it should not sag anymore once the fan is hung on it. Or, hang the hammock and adjust the net as per normal. Then run the low stretch cordage thru the openings(if there is room) from apex to apex and tighten so that it just barely contacts the net, and tie the slip knot. If it is tightening up additionally once you get in, and pulling too much on the net, just loosen the cordage as needed.

Of course, since I really don't know how the new set up works, I might just be spewing crazy talk. If it was that simple, you guys would probably have already done it. I hope to come to an understanding of what you guys are doing. If I had a newer hammock, it would probably already seem clear.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-23-2022 at 11:56.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    BillyBob58, We’ve both been undone by the “new” RR features. For example, with the old model, the spreader bars were inside the SpinDrift. Now, the spreader bars are outside the SpinDrift.

Look carefully at Raladd’s first photo and you'll see the “new” attachment ring inside the RR bugnet. It is not designed to allow the ridgeline to go through the net. I think, “ridgeline”, is the misleading factor. it’s more of a hanging clothesline. The rings just allow attachment of a line to go from end to end inside the net to hang something (not very heavy) on; a small flashlight, reading glasses, organizer for wallet and car keys, a fan, etc.

So not “ridgeline” like a SRL on a GE hammock that needs to hold a lot of force; just an attachment point for a line from end-to-end inside the netting for the convenience of hanging something (like a fan).
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    That’s correct — the line on the inside will prevent the top surface from tearing if there is a lot of tension on the lines running from the rings on the outside to a tree, hammock suspension (where I put it), or whatever. The pictures show that it holds my fan with an acceptable level of droop. My concern is whether anyone knows of an angle in the net that would be more prone to a rip than I’ve figured out.

I agree that “ridgeline” is possibly a misleading term, though this particular need is unique enough to the current-model Ridge Runner that coming up with a new word is probably unnecessary.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    I got a rechargeable baby stroller fan that’ll go 40hrs on low. I put the battery/clamp part in the foot end bugnet pocket and a short piece of shock cord from the foot end bugnet inner ring and hang the fan. The pocket takes most of the weight and the line from the net just keeps it pointing straight down the hammock. Works good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltfly View Post
    I got a rechargeable baby stroller fan that’ll go 40hrs on low.
    Pictures or it didn't happen. Just kidding. I'm honestly interested in what you came up with. Brand/model?
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

• + New Posts