Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Classic XL

Hello from London Ontario

Hi folks,

Greetings from London, Ontario!

I'm Brawny, and I've been camping, hiking, biking since I was a kid. I love spending time outdoors when I'm able, along with my wife. I'm in my late 50's and looking forward to retirement in a few years when we plan to travel and spend more time outdoors! We've taken up 'bushcraft' to save our sanity during the pandemic, and give us something to do when outside. We've practiced lots of different ways to light fires, and started using twig stoves on our day trips for making coffee. We've started learning our knots, and I can see now where knowing them will come in handy when hanging!

I bought a Hennessy hammock about 10 years ago now, but have only used it a few times in all those years. Sacrilege, I know... I purchased it for a solo bike tour I was doing at the time, but only used it a few nights, as most of my campsites weren't set up well for hanging. I was staying in provincial parks here in Ontario, and what I found was that most of the sites had the trees around the perimeter of the site (to make it easier for trailers and RVs to get in and out). I set up the hammock a few nights, but found that I had to set up over top of poison ivy. Not optimal...

At the time, I thought the bottom entry of the Hennessy was pretty slick, and didn't realize that it made the hammock less useful as a seat. Flash forward to now, and I've seen that can they be modified to allow the bug net to zip off! I've just sent mine to Dutchware (2QZQ) to have the zippers put in (Mod #4), and hope to have it back in time to use it this spring/summer.

Anyway, its good to be here, so I can ask questions and gain knowledge from some of you folks here!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Welcome aboard, lots of great hanging in our province.

Brian

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Welcome to the forums Brawny.

If you're interested in meeting other local hammockers, look up the EGL. Before covid, we did several hammock canoeing, winter-camping and car-camping hangs each year. We're slowly getting back into the swing.

P.S., I had a buddy of mine who lay down in a lovely patch of green on the shores of the Georgian Bay. Turned out to be poison ivy. It happens to the best of us.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    The EGL has some great hangs and trips. I live vicariously through their trip reports. If you get a chance to join them, DO!

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Hello from across the lake in Erie, PA

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Classic XL
    Thanks for the heads up on the EGL. I've subscribed to the Planning Forum, and didn't add any comments/replies The trip to APP in mid May sounds ambitious! Not sure I can make that one, but I'll definitely look for the trip reports!

• + New Posts