Thread: New

New

Im ordering a 12’ hammock because im 6’7” and need tarp, looking at UGQ winter dream they have the option of 12’ or 13’ .
    I have very little experience with tarps, what considerations should I consider between the two lengths
    would you have any other recommendations or advice for new tarp users maybe even other manufacturers to think about?
    thank you in advance

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    A 12' tarp would do you well on a 12' hammock. Can't go wrong with UGQ either.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    they're both good the 13 foot is going to be a little bit more weight but also a little more room but you also can't bring it down quite as low but then you don't need to because you have more coverage however you do need slightly more space between the trees to fit it into, so if you're in the location where there's a lot more younger trees that are closer together might have trouble finding a place to hang. I had extra loops sewn on the Ridgeline of my Wilderness Logics for 11 and 12 ft spans (just in case), but I think I only use it in a shorter span mode a couple of times so I haven't bothered with it since

Sent from my SM-T727V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    You can get custom tarps from Warbonnet in 12'. I have a stock 11' WB Thunderfly for my go-to tarp, really good side coverage and the end beaks provide end coverage without full doors.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Remember, you don’t need the tarp to match the hammock length. Your usual hang will have put distance between hammock ends about 83% of the hammock length - about 10 ft. with your 12 ft. hammock. That said, the extra overhang will be appreciated in really bad weather. One reason you see 13 ft tarps is because a popular bridge hammock, the WarBonnet RidgeRunner, likes the apex connections - where the two lines on each side of the hammock come together - to be about 13 ft apart. If you have a hammock with doors, those two lines (at each end) will hold the doors slightly open at the top - unless the tarp has a 13 ft ridgeline. Also, many tarps have panel-pulls - extra guyline connection points that allow you to pull the tarp sides out a bit. If you tell the vendor your tarp is for a RidgeRunner, they will usually locate those pull-outs where the hammock spreader poles would be - giving the most clearance where the hammock is the widest.

Because you have a gathered end hammock, you can forget about all that specific RidgeRunner information - except if you order a 13 ft tarp, the vendor, if she is on her toes, may ask if it’s for a RidgeRunner because of the panel-pull placement.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Thank you all for your help, after looking at tarps for weeks it’s a toss up between UGQ winter dream and Dutch’s bonded winter don’t think I can go wrong with either.
    As far as length goes I’ll get the 12’ er,
    I have a lot of questions about hammock backpacking and grateful you took the time to answer

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    In general, same length tarp as hammock. Lots of folks go with another foot for additional coverage on the tarp, but you really don't need that if you have doors (winter tarp). If open on the ends (reg hex) then yeah, its worth another foot. But do keep in mind that it can be harder to find the right tree spacing the longer your stuff is. HammockGear.com, WarbonnetOutdoors.com, SimplyLightDesigns.com, and SuperiorGear.com are some others you should look at.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

All great info thank you

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images
    I use UGQ exclusively after trying many others out there. Their stitching and attention to detail is great. I have always purchased 12' tarps but recently asked him to make me a custom Hanger in a 13' length for a bit more coverage for my RR. He had it laid out, made and shipped in an unbelievable time frame. For the couple extra ounces I always like having the extra protection of a 12' or larger for those rainy and windy trips.
    I will however give a shout out to Dutch because I just bought his winter tarp out of the ultralight Xenon bonded fabric and have not got a chance to use it but the quality is great also.
    Some days I can't tell whether I found a rope or lost a horse...

• + New Posts