Hennessy Hyperlite

I'm thinking about trying a hammock when cycle touring. Keeping things light and compact are priorities.

I'm in the UK, and would prefer not to import my first hammock.

I'm 6ft tall (or slightly under) and quite slim (around 140lbs).

I'm tempted by the Hyperlite as it seems fairly light and compact compared with some other hammocks, plus it's a complete system. I know I'm likely to receive advice to change out the suspension and buy a bigger tarp, but is the Hyperlite package a good starting point?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    deejayen, Many have started with a Hennessy Hammock. There are better; there are worse. It’s a place to start.

One consideration - if you are buying from Hennessy, is you might be able to upgrade the tarp. At one time, if you bought from them, you could swap the minimum standard trap for the larger Hex tarp by just paying the retail difference between the two (the price of the standard tarp that comes with the hyperlite if it were purchased separately). Maybe you want that smaller/lighter tarp. But the Hennessy Hex was my main tarp for many years. When it rains, you’ll appreciate the extra dry footprint area.

If you are just starting, I wouldn’t change the hammock suspension. It's better to get more experience and find opportunities so see how others (daisy chain, webbing, whoopie Slings) work. They all have their pros AND cons.

I would get rings for the standard Hennessy line (rope) suspension. The standard Hennessy suspension touts a convoluted knot tied at each tree. Problem is, often you need to make a small adjustment after the initial setup. Knots are fussy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iJTjful66M

The above YouTube is one of many that show how you can use two rings to pinch/hold the suspension line in place. You could eliminate the need for the carabiner in the video above by putting the rings directly on the tree webbing. And you can rest assured the line won’t slip by adding a slippery half-hitch or other knot backup - after your adjustments are done.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    I have used the Hennessy Hyperlite for many years. I have 3 Hennessy hammocks. (and many other Hennessy products)

Although I also have many other hammocks, I always prefer the Hyperlite. For your height and weight, it would be comfortable. It is a little bit smaller in size than the Expedition, but the weight savings make it worth it. As far as I am concerned, the Hennessy Super Shelter system is the best for temperatures down to 32 degrees. Sets up quick. Is compact. Durable. Affordable. I have used it to much lower temperatures.

As far as a tarp, that depends on the weather and season. Although the "rain fly" will keep you dry, you need something bigger. The Hennessy Hex does very well. For stormy conditions, the Hennessy Monsoon does it for me just fine.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Thanks very much!

I'll mull things over for a while, but the Hyperlite still seems a fairly sensible choice. I can always use the rings, although I think I saw a video where Tom Hennessy said something about them possibly damaging the cord.

I'll probably buy the hammock with the Hyperlite tarp, and then look at buying an additional larger one. I remember seeing the Monsoon tarp on the Hennessy website, but it doesn't seem to be there now, so perhaps they've stopped making it.

Thanks also for the info about the SuperShelter - I was wondering about that.
    Last edited by deejayen; 04-20-2022 at 02:49.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If you are able to use your hammock enough such that rings damage the cord, you will be a happy camper with many memorable hammock camping experiences. Gear wears out - if you use it. Eventually you’ll probably swap out that “line” suspension anyway. I’m just suggesting you wait a bit and if you can hammock with others or go to a gathering, you can see the pluses and minuses of other types of suspension before you decide to switch. And know: you may switch again, and again.

If I recall - I had a Typhoon and a Monsoon at one time - They have velcro doors. The Monsoon (or Typhoon) saved my bacon once. I was camping at Reid Harbor on Stuart Island (San Juans in WA) right at the end of the bay so the wind had more than a mile of fetch (flow) across the water and arrived cold - as did blowing rain. And the trees dictated that I pitch parallel to the wind. The first night I didn’t have the “doors” on. Cold City. The next night was much more comfortable.

You don’t need doors - until you do. And then you’ll be glad you have them.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    The hyperlite was a little too short for me at 5'7".

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JacksRBetr 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB 20deg set
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    I started with an Expedition, which is the same dimensions at the Hyperlite. It's a great hammock and a great starting point.

I eventually upgraded the suspension (it's not hard) and got a bigger tarp: The figure 8 lashing is easy and holds great, but is not adjustment friendly. The stock "diamond" tarp kept me bone dry through more than a few PA thunderstorms, but stick a finger past the bugnet and the finger is getting wet. I eventually wanted to sit and eat my dinner sitting in the hammock in the rain and the stock tarp wasn't meant for that.

I've used the supershelter a bunch and it's great, though some have found condensation a problem. It's an excellent starting point. The undercover is a great waterproof wind barrier. I left it on for the wind/mosquito protection unless it was a hot night. The underpad/space blanket have kept me warm down to about 40f/4C. Below that I added fleece blankets. With the underpad it's probably the least bulky/lightest insulation in it's class.

The underpad is on the delicate side, and adjusting it from in the hammock is tricky. The supershelter's pricetag is close to an entry level underquilt, which will have more bulk and a few more ounces, but have a more generous insulated area and be easier to adjust, plus still be useful if you buy a different hammock.

It's all a matter of hanging your own hang.

Thanks again.

I'm still mulling it over. I was a bit worried aboutTwo Speed saying it was too short for him at 5'7". I suppose it's hard to know without trying.

The other thing is that I think there might have been a price increase on the Hennessy UK site - the Hyperlite is now £260, and I thought it was £220 last time I looked, although I could be wrong about that. Anyway, it makes it less of an 'impulse buy', and has started me looking at other hammocks, such as Dream Hammock's Darien, although that would be a more complicated order, and I'd also have to import it.

Hmmm...

• + New Posts