Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    Canada to Mex, that's a jump! Where did you end up?

I may have to have you get me another Mayan hammock bigger than the one I have, then I'll be able to show my lady that you really can sleep more than one in a hammock.
    The Mayan is the only one that I've ever been able to do that w/.

Sometimes I really miss my travels down south.
    We landed in Merida, but currently Playa del Carmen. I'm making a trek back to Canada to deal with our storage and meet my new niece and then heading back but this time onto the Baja. Also because at least in Canada it's easier to receive any packages I need like the bug net.

I have several sizes of Mayans but I sleep best on my own in the 14 footer. I can't remember what they called it but it's the biggest you can find that isn't custom made.

My wife and I spent a few nights in it but she's a wiggler and wakes me up. If it wasn't for that we'd spend most nights in the same one as once you find that sweet spot I find on the cooler nights you can keep each other warm without extra insulation. But let's be real, what I really mean is keep her warm because I'll still be sweating and she'll snuggle in for warmth!
    Brady

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    The only problem I find w/ a fronkey net (which I do use) on a Mayan style hammock is that it doesn't totally close on the bottom and normally uses your hammock to act as a "plug" for the bottom hole.
    The reason a Fronkey bugnet works is because mosquitoes are just inherently incapable of attacking from the bottom - they can't figure out how to come from below and then attack your nether regions. Mosquitoes smell blood and they attack blood straight on. The Fronkey bugnet just boggles their mind and they can't figure it out.

It really doesn't matter if a Fronkey bugnet is "tight" to the hammock. It's the fact that mosquitoes can't vertically attack that makes the Fronkey so effective.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The reason a Fronkey bugnet works is because mosquitoes are just inherently incapable of attacking from the bottom - they can't figure out how to come from below and then attack your nether regions. Mosquitoes smell blood and they attack blood straight on. The Fronkey bugnet just boggles their mind and they can't figure it out.

It really doesn't matter if a Fronkey bugnet is "tight" to the hammock. It's the fact that mosquitoes can't vertically attack that makes the Fronkey so effective.
    I would have to disagree w/ you on this. Right here in Arizona we have mosquitoes that everyone refers to as "ankle biters" as they tend to keep low to the ground and will definitely eat up your lower legs and ankles.
    When I slept in my Mayan last summer w/ a fronkey (the only nets I have) they had no trouble biting the crap out of my back in till I, out of frustration, put my UQP on it over the net and loose enough to not be right up against the hammock. Not something I would choose to do on 90°+ nights unless I had to.

I also got totally eaten through my camping hammock in Florida when it was hot enough that I didn't use an UQ and just had a fronkey net.
    Now I take a UQP everywhere and decided if I need it per situation.

Real world experience.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    We landed in Merida, but currently Playa del Carmen. I'm making a trek back to Canada to deal with our storage and meet my new niece and then heading back but this time onto the Baja. Also because at least in Canada it's easier to receive any packages I need like the bug net.

I have several sizes of Mayans but I sleep best on my own in the 14 footer. I can't remember what they called it but it's the biggest you can find that isn't custom made.

My wife and I spent a few nights in it but she's a wiggler and wakes me up. If it wasn't for that we'd spend most nights in the same one as once you find that sweet spot I find on the cooler nights you can keep each other warm without extra insulation. But let's be real, what I really mean is keep her warm because I'll still be sweating and she'll snuggle in for warmth!
    Playa del Carmen was a tiny little town when I was there in the 80's, and Tulum was nothing but some cool ruins and a few palapas.
    I think I'd be scared to go there now and see the development.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Maybe something like this but may have to modify.
    https://www.grandtrunk.com/products/...et-shelter-new
    Otherwise for 14 feet it may require making one or having one made.
    Shug
    Shug (and future readers), I had a chat with GT and they recommended having one made rather than using the Mozzy 360 for a hammock this big.
    Brady

Images

Hammock
    1.6oz HyperD XL whipped ends
    Tarp
    Cowboy Cat Tangle
    Insulation
    Gemini UQ, CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Marlinspike Hitch
    I’ll put in a recommendation for the TED (top entry detachable) bug net. This was the first net I made and I have stuck with it. I use tulle, which is very lightweight. The design does use more material than Fronkey and other designs, but I like a very diagonal lay (Mayan style) so the extra material adapts great to odd angles.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...he-TED-Bug-net

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12