Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    It could be just the photo, and viewing it on my phone, but the grey line looks thinner than the red shuttle, is it? I know the shuttle is thicker looking where the line goes through it and where it's spliced at the end, but are they the same size cord?
    I would definitely want a thinner line to be the shuttle if they weren't both the same size.

Fellow nomad? Traveler perhaps?

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Whoa! I am slow. Re-reading, LowTech's post, I realized that he identified the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    My thoughts on a UCR for a adjustable sag angle are that I never, ok rarely, have my ridgeline guitar string tight ...
    Of course a ucr won't work if there isn't tension on it. I would use a ucr on the main suspension line, but never on a ridgeline, because most people don't understand the difference between a structural ridgeline and an indicator ridgeline, and even those of us that do sometimes hang without the ridgeline absolutely taut. (If it's only a tiny bit loose - e.g. when you can twist it 90° - the sag angle won't have changed appreciably, but a ucr won't hold.)

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Use same size line for both pieces and MILK YOUR BURY!! Try making them using the following link, problem solved.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...To-Make-an-UCR

Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    but the grey line looks thinner than the red shuttle, is it?

Yes they both are 3mm, maybe best to look where the bury for the loop ends and before the shuttle bury, but it is only about an inch of normal thickness there. It is raining today so tomorrow I will replace the UCR with "4. Fixed length dogbone with a second shorter one to loop around similar to Phantom Grappler mentions.". I was way overthinking it all, I have to move on to one tree hang bits I need that work. I'll take some photos once I have it near sorted.

Hopefully about to start traveling again, pretty itchy feet. The hammock started out as an alternative to a bug net....keen to do my first airport hang

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Going for one of these? I too am a fan of industrial/urban hangs.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Whoa! I am slow. Re-reading, LowTech's post, I realized that he identified the problem.

Of course a ucr won't work if there isn't tension on it. I would use a ucr on the main suspension line, but never on a ridgeline, because most people don't understand the difference between a structural ridgeline and an indicator ridgeline, and even those of us that do sometimes hang without the ridgeline absolutely taut. (If it's only a tiny bit loose - e.g. when you can twist it 90° - the sag angle won't have changed appreciably, but a ucr won't hold.)
    Aha, this is a key point. We always think of UCRs losing their grip from the non-load end, but if there's little or no tension from the loaded end then that can slip as well.

Best to just figure it all out with a whoopie-style eye on one end, then splice a fixed eye.

I'm lucky in that 100" always works for me for 10 foot hammocks and 110" (109.56" ) for 11 footers.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Also, I have experimented with 105" and 115" for an 11 footer and found both to be quite acceptable.

BUT, I'm 5'8" (I used to be 5'9" but my GP doc tells me I've shrunk ) which presents fewer problems than tall folks encounter.

Adjustable_SRL_at_105_inches_SMALL.jpg Adjustable_SRL_at_115_inches_SMALL.jpg
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    >BUT, I'm 5'8" (I used to be 5'9" but my GP doc tells me I've shrunk
    You too Agent Moulder! I asked the PA durning my last physical if her measuring tool (just a height indicator) was broken. Next year I might bring my own tape. I can get one of those vinyl one’s used in sewing and cut/glue an inch or two out near the bottom, so the top number will then read correctly

Just think of all the money (and weight/bulk) we save using ¾ length UQ’s.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

I replaced the ridge line UCR with a dogbone and some blue cord looped a few times that I can adjust, the length may not be that important to me like mentioned above. The blue line addition twanged like a guitar, way tight with my weight. I put the UCR on one of the tree ends and it did let go a bit for a say a cm, 3 times,
    then stayed but I only sat there for a minute as I am heavier than all of you! Quite happy I still have not fallen on my butt.

My beloved bowlines as the webbing knot need to be swapped out I think as they may/will tighten up too much with me wiggling around and stop/slow morning pack ups.
    I am going for one of those airport hangs Lowtech or at least the option/knowledge to do it without breaking public structures.

Off to hand sew 2 holes with button hole stitches for the ridge line to go through the net at each end. Thanks Peoples.
    ridgeline2.jpg
    ridgeline1.jpgl

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    >BUT, I'm 5'8" (I used to be 5'9" but my GP doc tells me I've shrunk
    You too Agent Moulder! I asked the PA durning my last physical if her measuring tool (just a height indicator) was broken. Next year I might bring my own tape. I can get one of those vinyl one’s used in sewing and cut/glue an inch or two out near the bottom, so the top number will then read correctly

Just think of all the money (and weight/bulk) we save using ¾ length UQ’s.
    This is true... for a lot of trips where taller folk would need full-length, a shortie works for me. My 20deg rated shortie gets a lot of use.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast