Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by inductioncooktops View Post
    I replaced the ridge line UCR with a dogbone and some blue cord looped a few times that I can adjust, the length may not be that important to me like mentioned above. The blue line addition twanged like a guitar, way tight with my weight. I put the UCR on one of the tree ends and it did let go a bit for a say a cm, 3 times,
    then stayed but I only sat there for a minute as I am heavier than all of you! Quite happy I still have not fallen on my butt.

My beloved bowlines as the webbing knot need to be swapped out I think as they may/will tighten up too much with me wiggling around and stop/slow morning pack ups.
    I am going for one of those airport hangs Lowtech or at least the option/knowledge to do it without breaking public structures.

Off to hand sew 2 holes with button hole stitches for the ridge line to go through the net at each end. Thanks Peoples.
    Attachment 188257
    Attachment 188258l
    For webbing knot at the tree, maybe consider slipped buntline hitch. Releases easily. It's a constrictor so you can snug it up the tree and it won't fall down while you're busy adjusting other stuff.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

there's at least one rather extensive discussion about this, where several ideas are presented. you already heard it all in this thread too, except for one: this post describes my method (which in this case is performed with an s-hook, but a small s-carabinner, or even normal carabinner, can also be used -- much smaller than the one used in the pictures, as they don't need to be very strong, just rigid enough), the post is quite long, just scroll down to the last three paragraphs or so, and the pics.

hope this saves you some headache, in brief: it does sort of use some type of rigid object (one might even call it hardware), but said object can be light, and is not critical (if it fails, the suspension will remain intact, and you won't be dropped on the ground); most importantly, this renders the most slippy ucr bullet proof, and makes the ucr even easier to operate

The small carabinner seemed to fix it Nanok, I took the mason line prusik off too and it held. I'll end up having a fixed line but this gets me playing with the length. I need more hammock sleep time
    Thanks everyone.

hey mate, glad it helped! it's quite surprising how effective this method is, despite how simple.

i personally decided to not go for fixed even for structural ridgelines: although i don't adjust it much most of the time, there have been situations when i was using the hammock a lot more than just for overnighting (for instance "work from camp" situations, for that, it means i can shorten the ridgeline a lot, and make a setup which works very nicely for working on a laptop (anything from a "healthy" sitting position to a half reclined/armchair, all the way to "enough for now, i'll take a nap", in a matter of seconds). maybe i'm too greedy, but i'm not giving up that versatility, that's a big part of the attraction with hammocks for me.

whichever way you go, glad it helps, and keep us posted. welcome to this branch of the universe, it's all downhill from here, you know

So I think I am off to Nepal in a couple of months to do some trekking and looking, it keeps calling me back. They have a saying/joke, Some uphill, some down.
    I was going for a shorter ridgeline trick to make a chair but fully adjustable sounds better they way you say, I was going to try my trekking pole as a chair spreader with a single vertical line too as Asia/mountains sometimes have limited strong trees/structures. My trekking poles strapped together with webbing were at peak strain with a one tree hang I tried, I could be 2x the weight as some smaller guys here.
    I think I might try the grey line as the shuttle on the UCR to see if it slips, the red line will "fluff up" mid cord over time from use I can tell.

i'll be curious to hear some trip reports from nepal, and also how the situation is there. i miss it too. i didn't get to do any hammock camping when i was there (except on the terrasse of the guest house), as i was a bit too focused on flying, but i could see how it would work very nicely, as the treeline there is very very high, because of the mild climate (i recall i could still see "significant" trees way above 2000m, when i was flying there -- you pay attention, it matters for landing options, you see ). the only thing which worried me a bit in terms of camping, and especially hammock camping, when i thought about it, was the wildlife, particularly the monkeys: i hear they can be quite curious, and quite resourceful, sometimes even problematic, when in a group (i can imagine it, some of them are quite big), so do be careful, but ****, i envy you, have a great time.

i would never trust normal trekking poles for support, but as a spreader bar it might work, as long as you keep the angle between the suspension lines it spreads reasonably shallow (so angle between the two lines at the attachement point, the larger the angle, the bigger the strain on the pole, the smaller the angle, the less strain). depending on the height of the branch in use, it might be difficult to get a shallow angle (if the branch is too low, there's no space for that), for this reason i'd be tempted to make those suspension lines adjustable as well, also some type of ucr, so that i don't need to overload the spreader/trekking pole, when the conditions don't require it

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Slipping dyneema ucr

Another, on the trail emergency fix for a slipping UCR
    Set up hammock and UCR suspension. Allow a bit more length to allow for loss of length due to the following:
    After milking bury of UCR form a marlin spike hitch on the bury. Use a carabiner spine as the toggle.
    Or you can use a strong crushproof stick as toggle.

This is similar to Nanok’s idea of causing the bury to twist around a piece of hardware. Many thanks to Nanok for sharing ideas that actually work!

I’ve not used UCR on hammock suspension or hammock ridgeline

This fix will also work on a whoopie sling that is slipping. Edit: Unusual for whoopie sling to slip.
    Either bury not milked or whoopie sling not made right—too short bury or wrong kind rope.

Many hammock campers already know how to tie marlin spike hitch. And the bonus is in morning, it’s easy to untie, as it’s non jamming!

I believe it’s a temporary field fix, in case UCR or whoopie sling keeps slipping.
    When you get back home, replace or redo as needed. This is just something to stop slipping on a camping trip.

Back to the drawing board
    Picture Wile E. Coyote going to draft board to engineer his latest “foolproof” design to catch Roadrunner. Those drawings always looked like they would work! Hahaha LOL
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 05-03-2022 at 14:03.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123