Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Newbie questions

Hi. Ive officially made the switch from tenting to hammocking. I bought a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC Heavyweight double. I have an Equinox 10x12 silnylon tarp, a nice semi rectangular down sleeping bag with a full length zipper and a Thermarest Zlite pad.

I know many here swear by top and under quilts, and better, more hammock minded tarps. I can see some advantages with all of those things over what I have. But is all that stuff "really" essential? Or should I put it all in the "future upgrades" category? For now, im good with what I have, right?

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    Welcome! And yes - put those in the future upgrades category. Get out there and hammock. You’ll figure out which upgrades are priorities for you and your style of camping.

Be sure to check out Shug’s many videos. He has demonstrated how to successfully use the equipment you already have.

Enjoy! You’ll never want to go back to being a ground dweller.

Images
    Hi Ben I think you have everything you need to get started. Everyone has different needs when they hammock camp. You are only going to find out yours by getting out there even if you just start in your backyard as I did.

8144816999_4105eb8fd7_c.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    When you get around to it, you'll find a huge difference between "not exactly" and a true hammock camping setup. I used pads for a couple of years but when I went to underquilts, I never went back.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I would use what you have for now and just focus on hanging the hammock correctly.
    MAKE SURE to read Warbonnet's SET-UP instructions carefully.....https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/wp...mock-setup.pdf It will help a lot.
    Toss your pad in for insulation.
    Use your sleeping bag in top quilt mode.
    String the tarp with 12 foot ridgeline.
    Enjoy the hammock quest.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Depends on what you consider 'really essential'. On the weekender, short hikes out in the woods with beer and whiskey...getting into and out of a sleeping bag in a hammock after a few can be entertaining.

I'm not an extreme cold weather camper. Not too interested in being out when it's in the 20s. I generally will do a few overnighters in April, a week-long section hike on the AT in May, maybe a couple more overnighters/weekends in Summer or early fall. Ive got probably thousands of backpacking mikes and hundreds of nights under my belt, predominantly in tents. The older I get(50) the less appealing sleeping on the ground has been, even with higher end gear.

I plan on using what I got this season, since I can use my 40deg bag AS a top quilt. See how it goes before dropping big bucks on proper quilts.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    If you find you take to the hammock, spring for the underquilt first. You can still use your sleeping bag and drape it over you. I did the pad/sleeping bag thing...it sucks, and after I got the uq I couldn't believe that I spent a year trying to make them work.

I started out with a 40F HG Econ Phoenix and it's gotten the most use. If you're predominately a warm weather camper, try a 3/4 length uq to cover your torso. Works great down into the 50s...below that, gotta supplement the footbox of your bag/top quilt. Setup is pretty straight forward and shouldn't have to fiddle with it too much compared to a full length. I got lucky and bought the Phoenix when they were crazy cheap (listed $89.95, got it on a 10% off sale...its $169.95 now).

What IS the best bang for the buck under quilt? I'd need full length, I'm 6'3". Doesn't have to be the lightest, but still quality. 30deg would be fine.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Since you got a WB BB XLC, can't go wrong with the WB Wooki (don't have one, but they are highly recommended).

However, if you don't know which lay direction you prefer you might want to look at the various vendors that don't have directional lay uqs. I've only used Hammock Gear quilts...I can get them to work on my WB Eldorado (it's the XLC body with shelf-less bugnet) with some minor adjustments. My main hammock is a DW Chameleon with a symmetrical bugnet (I flop around), so a directional uq won't work for me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast