Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben55 View Post
    What IS the best bang for the buck under quilt? I'd need full length, I'm 6'3". Doesn't have to be the lightest, but still quality. 30deg would be fine.
    I’m 6’3”- The partial UQs like warbonnet yeti’s are good for me. Less material, weight, cost.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Keep in mind the ccf pad will create condensation through the night.
    Before The Terminator and I switched to UQ's we used pads. Inflatable and CCF. I never had a problem with moisture ( we would switch pads ) but The Terminator had massive issues so we quickly upgraded to UQs

The best bang for the buck in UQs and or TQs would be the ones from Arrowhead. Made from Clamashield. I have been using them for about 12 years now.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

I set it all up for the first time today, and think I have what I need for now. The pad is wide enough, and it's comfortable. The tarp is big enough. I'll have to play around with my pitch. Question, how high do you all first hang your hammocks, knowing it's gonna settle some once you get into it?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I set it all up for the first time today, and think I have what I need for now. The pad is wide enough, and it's comfortable. The tarp is big enough. I'll have to play around with my pitch. Question, how high do you all first hang your hammocks, knowing it's gonna settle some once you get into it?
    My preference is to hang it so when I sit sideways my feet are touching the ground.

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

With this being a brand new hammock, how much "stretch" will occur thefirst night I sleep in it? A buddy told me he likes it as high as he can easily get his butt into it, because if it's too low, it'll sag too low by the morning. Sound right? I'll be taking it backpacking next month and would rather get it right the first time.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I get more stretch out of some of my suspensions than I do w/ my hammock. Unless it's a cotton Brazilian hammock, those will stretch for a few nights at a min.

I think it's my poly tree straps that stretch the most, but I could be wrong.
    Even so I've never dropped more than a few inches by morning.
    If it's a first time hang I might put it up and hang out in it as much as possible and then tighten it up some right before getting in to sleep.

Another thing to note is that the longer you have to run the straps the more stretch you could get. A short distance has less material to stretch.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    bigben55, what was your friend using? Some materials stretch more than others. Nylon straps - that ENO used to use - stretch more than polyester. Amsteel, used with whoopie slings - doesn’t stretch but the bury can slip if it’s not attended to correctly. Some guyline stretches more than others - especially anything made with paracord.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 04-19-2022 at 20:37.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    With this being a brand new hammock, how much "stretch" will occur thefirst night I sleep in it? A buddy told me he likes it as high as he can easily get his butt into it, because if it's too low, it'll sag too low by the morning. Sound right? I'll be taking it backpacking next month and would rather get it right the first time.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    I would guess that the issue your friend had was with the straps, not the hammock.

If those are the warbonnet cinch buckle w/ straps, they stretch much much less than I experienced with the Daisy chains on some other setups. With the warbonnet straps and a lightweight double layer, the height I sit down at the beginning of the night is the same as in the morning. With the Daisy chains and a single layer hammock, I go from chair height to inches off the ground over the course of a night. I used a heavier set of Daisy chains with a single layer hammock and didn't sag over night nearly as much, but admittedly only tried it once or twice before I got the lw double layer xlc.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Different rigs will vary in amount of stretch or settling, especially the first night—any first nights!
    Hammock can stretch, continuous loops can stretch-as larkshead tightens through hemmed gathered ends.
    Whoopie slings can stretch (amsteel not much), straps can inch their way down tree until they get a grip (not much if strap goes around tree twice in a “round turn”—and lastly trees can bend inwards or lean inwards towards hammock.
    I set my hammock a bit higher to allow for stretch.
    And if I forget, when noticed, I raise hammock a bit more.

hmm. stretch which is ellastic ellongation doesn't happen "until morning", it happens as you sit in the hammock the first time, and settle in. If some more sagging (lowering of the hammock) is happening through the night, that's not what i'd call stretch, but rather slippage (or creep if you like), and it means that "something is wrong"(TM): either the suspension system is slipping slowly, or the straps on the trees are sliding down, or such. whatever it is, you'd want to identify and fix it, imho, not "account for it" by setting up the hammock too high to begin with.

so make sure everything is setup properly, make sure the straps on the trees stay in place, make sure the angle of the suspension is at least 30deg from horizontal, check if the final height from the ground is as you want, as you're sitting in the hammock, fully supported by it (so feet not touching the ground), and try it like that and see, if you find yourself lower in the morning, it's time to troubleshoot. do this at first near to home/car etc, not on a "real camping trip", getting it right the first time is unlikely, hammock camping is not rocket science, but it does come with some parameters to process (that's part of the fun, for most)

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast