Hammock
    Kammok Mantis

help me improve my Kammok hammock setup?

Hi folks,

I'm planning a thru-hike and trying to improve my hammock system for better comfort.

Last thru-hike I used a:
    Kammok Mantis hammock
    Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Xtherm inflatable sleeping pad
    And a square piece of grippy foam under the center of the sleeping pad.

It was OK, but not super comfortable. I sometimes had trouble staying in position, and there seemed to be strain on my knees while I slept on my back (wasn't able to lie fully flat).

Wondering if the problem was more that the NeoAir pad slips around too much, or if the Kammok is too small for me to lie fully flat with the pad. (I'm only 5'6" but the pad is 72 inches long).

Your advice on the best approach to improving comfort (while staying fairly ultralight)?
    I'm considering a Dutchware Chameleon with 2 layers, because I could put a pad between the layers, and it's also a bit bigger than the Kammok.
    And if I get the Chameleon, will my Kammok rainfly be too small? (Specs: L 132 in x W 88 in (Tapers down to L 90 in x W 72.4 in))

Thank you!
    Melissa

Hammock
    Off-brand cheapo
    Tarp
    ALPS UL
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Do you need the pad as part of your gear? (i.e. you anticipate having to sleep on the ground some?) If not, have you considered replacing it with an under-quilt?
    Grace & peace,
    Dragonhunter
    No one sits around talking about that trip where it was 76 and sunny the whole time.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Personally, I'd recommend you try an underquilt since pads don't seem to be very comfortable for you. I made the mistake of spending money on a double layer to accommodate a pad, but it was a waste of money - underquilts are infinitely more comfortable.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Make sure you are hanging the hammock properly.
    Take time to get that right.
    Pads take a bit of practice to get just right. Put it in half inflated.....https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...PBkH55Ns90zkAu

Stay at it.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    If I were to commit to using a hammock on a section or thru it would be with an UQ. If certain I would need to go to ground on occasion in provided shelters, and such, I would drag one of those foldable pads along with me. Knowing the occasional poor night's sleep would be offset by the next night in the hammock.

If I think I would be going to ground any more than that, I would go with a tent and a much better pad.

Which trail are you planning to do? AT Hammock. PCT Tent to at least start in the desert then again in the high sierras.

With planning you can even bounce a gear switch out package down the trail as long as you don't open it or leave the PO with it until you know you'll need it. Just can't bounce back
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Kammok Mantis
    Thanks! I'm doing part of the Continental Divide Trail in Colorado, where I'll likely need the option to go to ground when above treeline.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I have a good friend that lives out there and has done the CDT quite a bit now the last few years. I've yet to convert him to hammocks but he did tell me that depending on what time of year and day you pretty much want to be off a lot of the mountains by afternoon due to thunderstorms. That and other weather (high winds) would cause him to wait until he got back below treeline before trying to make camp in all but the best conditions.

You are going to enjoy the CDT. Please keep us posted
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Wide Rectangle
    Insulation
    Jacks r Better zip
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    I'm 6'2 and sleep well in a mantis, I think your pad doesn't go well. I would swap for a UQ, the kammock ones work really well and are pretty versatile as well.

With the Ridgeline, even if you are not hanging great you should have good sag. Are you laying in it strait or on the diagonal?

Kammock has 5 pull outs, I would use one on the head end and one in the opposite foot end, that helps shape it into a asymmetrical hammock and easier to sleep at the angle. Just figure out which way you want your head.

• + New Posts