Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: Haven XL?

  1. #1
    Slugger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Lancaster, SC
    Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Posts
    1,092
    Images
    2

    Haven XL?

    Has anyone used the Haven XL? I went ahead and ordered the Haven Safari which should be delivered in June. After trying several different types of hammocks I've found I'm most comfortable in a bridge-type hammock. I currently have one of Bill Townsend's Big Guy Bridge Hammock and really like it. The Haven Safari also appeals to me and just might get an even flatter lay...maybe. And before you say anything, I'm mainly a car-camper so weight is not my concern because I know this one is heavy. If I do hike it's short distances - no long hauls that I would really be concerned about weight of the hammock.

    I've seen Shug's video with his Haven XL and a few others out there who have reviewed the Haven XL. I do know a big change in the Safari over the XL - they've fixed the zipper issue so it's more user friendly. No more long reaches at the very end of the bug net to get to the zipper pull.

    If I have a concern, it's the "using the insulated pad as your bottom insulation" idea. The pad only has a R-4 insulation value and I do like to winter camp within reason. R-4 isn't going to cut it. So far I haven't seen anyone try to fit an UQ to the Haven XL. Or maybe someone has, but I haven't seen the video yet.

    If it's delivered in June, it's first outing with me will be the annual John Rock hang in mid-July (in the Pisgah National Forest near Brevard, NC). Looking forward to it!
    Retired US Navy, 8-year colon cancer survivor. My last words will be "Hold my beer..."



  2. #2
    all secure in sector 7 Shug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    23,164
    Images
    62
    You can add a closed cell foam pad beneath the Haven pad. Or even get their pad insulated cover....https://haventents.com/collections/s...ated-pad-cover
    Enjoy it at John Rock. The supplied pad will do you fine there.

    ShugArt Hammock Paintings....https://www.etsy.com/shop/ShugArtStu...platform-mcnav

    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

  3. #3
    Senior Member SoaknWet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Westland,Pa.
    Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    569
    Good Luck.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Saratoga NY
    Hammock
    Towns end, WBRR
    Tarp
    Mini/thunder, ugq
    Insulation
    AHE,zenbivy,JRB,HG
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy chain
    Posts
    130
    When I first transitioned to hammocks I purchased the regular size haven and still have it. As a car camping hammock the safari looks fantastic and itís introductory price is great as well. My biggest issue with the haven is that to take advantage of the flat, open lay experience the pad needs too much air for me to be comfortable. I currently split my time between a towns end and less so, a ridgerunner. If I didnít love trying out new stuff so much I swear I would never buy anything else but another Townsend. There is a lot to like about the haven so definitely not trying to dissuade. I love the minimalist tarp and how itís incorporated. And because of the incorporated tarp Nothing else sets up faster or easier. For me personally, the insulated pad is great down to 25-30f. I tried an UQ. Even ordered a custom sized AHE 40x90 to supplement but just found that the pad holds two high a volume of air to efficiently keep warm with body heat alone in temps below freezing. Oddly enoughÖ I know many others have complained about lack of dual zippers but the zipper has never been an issue for me. As long as you set the hammock up the same every time (colored carabiner at head end) and orient so the net is closed with zipper above your head itís super convenient to grab it right above your head. These are all my experiences so obviously others may be different. Iíll be looking forward to your opinions after you try it out.
    kris
    Last edited by Kmazuro; 04-10-2022 at 15:19.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Montco, PA
    Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    275
    This past weekend was my first outing with the Haven XL. I realized quickly that I should have slept a night or two at home before taking it out. The first night I kind of felt like I kept sliding to the right because (I think) the pad had shifted to the left (that is, the left side felt higher than the right) on me. The second night, I kind of pre-shifted the pad to the right and I did not have that tippy/sliding to the right feeling. Overall, I like it, but there are a few issues.

    1. The zipper is not great. It sticks a lot, especially right around the spreader bars. I suspect it's more due to the tension on them than anything else. I might just ditch the net altogether. Bugs don't usually like the taste of me.

    2. The pad. Maybe I need to find the sweet spot of inflation levels. I had it pretty firm, but it still seemed to wrap around me a bit, especially laying on my side. Maybe a little less air would be better? I know the setup video says not to inflate it too much.

    3. Packing the pad. I bought a handy little pump from Amazon which blows it up lickety split. Unfortunately, I could not find a way to make it work for deflating the pad. So, it's slow to get the air out, and the little flap that makes inflation easier just gets in the way. It's compounded by the fact that unless there's flat/clean/dry ground or another surface nearby (I used the floor of an Adirondack on our campsite, which was far from clean, so I'll be cleaning the pad up later), it's really hard to get the air out efficiently.

    I should also say that I ordered it without the tarp since I wanted to keep that separate and save some weight. So, I can't comment on the Haven's integrated rainfly.

    Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    all secure in sector 7 Shug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    23,164
    Images
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by CVKealey View Post
    This past weekend was my first outing with the Haven XL. I realized quickly that I should have slept a night or two at home before taking it out. The first night I kind of felt like I kept sliding to the right because (I think) the pad had shifted to the left (that is, the left side felt higher than the right) on me. The second night, I kind of pre-shifted the pad to the right and I did not have that tippy/sliding to the right feeling. Overall, I like it, but there are a few issues.

    1. The zipper is not great. It sticks a lot, especially right around the spreader bars. I suspect it's more due to the tension on them than anything else. I might just ditch the net altogether. Bugs don't usually like the taste of me.

    2. The pad. Maybe I need to find the sweet spot of inflation levels. I had it pretty firm, but it still seemed to wrap around me a bit, especially laying on my side. Maybe a little less air would be better? I know the setup video says not to inflate it too much.

    3. Packing the pad. I bought a handy little pump from Amazon which blows it up lickety split. Unfortunately, I could not find a way to make it work for deflating the pad. So, it's slow to get the air out, and the little flap that makes inflation easier just gets in the way. It's compounded by the fact that unless there's flat/clean/dry ground or another surface nearby (I used the floor of an Adirondack on our campsite, which was far from clean, so I'll be cleaning the pad up later), it's really hard to get the air out efficiently.

    I should also say that I ordered it without the tarp since I wanted to keep that separate and save some weight. So, I can't comment on the Haven's integrated rainfly.

    Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    Nice you got one. I have had the pad feel off a couple times but learn to get out and set it right. They used to have a video on that. Once right I find it real comfortable. More than I thought I would.
    Take a look at this for some insight. From Haven blog....https://haventents.com/blogs/haven-j...en-or-haven-xl
    Some pad tips below. He deflates it in the Haven
    Shug

    ShugArt Hammock Paintings....https://www.etsy.com/shop/ShugArtStu...platform-mcnav

    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

  7. #7
    Slugger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Lancaster, SC
    Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Posts
    1,092
    Images
    2
    Thank you everyone for your comments so far.

    Cover for insulated pad - unavailable right now for the XL and Safari...they are designing a new one for the 30x80 mattresses. Maybe available in the fall. As the weather is warming up now and we are into Spring, the R-4 will be OK for now. This fall I'll be looking at their new cover for the 30x80 to see how much R-value it will add. Or just take Shug's advice and put a closed-cell pad under the mattress.

    As there wasn't an UQ designed specifically to fit my BGBH, I was able to adapt my HG 20 degree to the BGBH quite nicely and am very satisfied with the results. Maybe once I get the Haven Safari I can look at it and see if I can adapt someone's UQ to fit the Haven for winter hanging. You never know.

    Just spit-balling here:

    Lawson Hammocks have a 40x80 UQ for their hammocks.
    https://www.lawsonhammock.com/collec...cts/underquilt

    Maybe something like Hennessy's double-bubble pad - could put this under a closed-cell pad that is also under the Haven's mattress. https://hennessyhammock.com/products...-bubble-pad-xl

    In any case, once I receive the Haven Safari, guess I'll have to do a review & post it here with maybe a follow up review of additional insulation options for colder use.
    Retired US Navy, 8-year colon cancer survivor. My last words will be "Hold my beer..."



  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Saskatoon, SK
    Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Posts
    1,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Once right I find it real comfortable. More than I thought I would.

    once your inside, and settled

    Haven vs Draumr for comfort

  9. #9
    all secure in sector 7 Shug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    23,164
    Images
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    once your inside, and settled

    Haven vs Draumr for comfort
    Both comfortable.
    Haven easier in and out.
    Amok...chair mode. Hard to beat.
    But now Haven has a quasi sit-up mode.
    It just keeps coming......
    ShugArt Hammock Paintings....https://www.etsy.com/shop/ShugArtStu...platform-mcnav

    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

  10. #10
    Slugger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Lancaster, SC
    Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Posts
    1,092
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Both comfortable.
    Haven easier in and out.
    Amok...chair mode. Hard to beat.
    But now Haven has a quasi sit-up mode.
    It just keeps coming......
    We'll see how the Haven lounge mode does with my cup of coffee.
    Retired US Navy, 8-year colon cancer survivor. My last words will be "Hold my beer..."



  • + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Experimenting with AHE uq on haven.
      By Kmazuro in forum Arrowhead Equipment (Home of Kick Ass Quilts)
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 03-07-2021, 21:18
    2. SLD Wind Haven
      By Kalaallit in forum Simply Light Designs
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 07-13-2016, 13:57
    3. Thermarest Haven
      By Awkward Sportsman in forum Top Insulation
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 09-23-2013, 08:58
    4. Why haven't I thought of that?
      By Chris.Biomed in forum General Hammock Talk
      Replies: 13
      Last Post: 11-03-2008, 02:38

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •