Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    11’ silpoly WIDE
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°F
    Suspension
    Whoopies or becket
    Images

Double layer hammocks: stiffness & support (fabric)

Hi all,

I am looking to invest in my first double layer hammock, where issues of weight capacity limit, loaning it to somebody, two-person lounging and general wear-and-tear are of less concern.

I wanted to get an idea of how certain hammock fabrics feel when you double them up, how it affects things like: stretch, stiffness, lay, breathability, etc.

Some hangers here have shared their personal experience with a few fabrics, but perhaps others could comment on their experience with other fabric combinations, such as:

- any 1.0oz Monolite combinations
    - any 1.1oz ripstop nylon combinations
    - any 1.2oz MTN combinations
    - any 1.6oz (Hyper D, XL, Hexon, etc.) combinations
    - any 1.7oz MTN XL combinations
    - any 2.2oz Hex70-XL combinations

**(The aforementioned list is by no means exhaustive. Any combinations of any fabric would be helpful, the more the better.)

I was looking into a double layer 1.6oz Hyper D-XL; I know that Hyper D is notorious for its stretch and softness, but how would it be in a double layer?

What about a double layer in 1.7oz MTN XL? A double layer 2.2oz Hex70-XL?

Any experience with various fabric combinations in a double layer hammock would be helpful, and perhaps others are curious to know too.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock custom Sparrow
    Tarp
    15'x15' DD
    Insulation
    SLD Trailwinder UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    I have a DH Sparrow with 2.2 Hexon on the outside for toughness and 1.8 Airwave on the inside for softness and "non-slip". I like it very much. You're getting into subtleties that are going to be very difficult to objectively quantity. I recommend you read descriptions on the Ripstop By The Roll website as well as fabric descriptions in the Dream Hammock website. Safe to say....it's ALL going to be good.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    11’ silpoly WIDE
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°F
    Suspension
    Whoopies or becket
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackdoghang View Post
    I have a DH Sparrow with 2.2 Hexon on the outside for toughness and 1.8 Airwave on the inside for softness and "non-slip".
    Interesting. And you don’t find it too stiff or anything? Sounds like a nice combination.

You're getting into subtleties that are going to be very difficult to objectively quantity.
    Very true, that’s a good point. I imagined that opinions among hangers would vary quite a bit. One person has found a certain combination of fabrics to be very stiff and supportive while another has found the same combination to be stretchy yet supportive.

I still think that it’s good to hear others’ experience with their fabric choice, their reasons why they chose it, how they like it, etc.

Safe to say....it's ALL going to be good.

100%! I should try as many hammocks as I can!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    FWIW, I haven’t found a hammock to be too stiff or too hard. I have found light single layer hammocks to be too soft. Having tried both ends of the spectrum I like double layer but made of lighter material. Gives me that Goldilocks just right feel. I haven’t noticed any difference in breathability either way

Too soft I found stretchy and not supportive enough so I hung butt low and sort of got balled up overnight. As they say you mileage may vary and this is personal preference territory so try a few if you can and see what you like.
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    11’ silpoly WIDE
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°F
    Suspension
    Whoopies or becket
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Skytow View Post
    FWIW, I haven’t found a hammock to be too stiff or too hard. I have found light single layer hammocks to be too soft. Having tried both ends of the spectrum I like double layer but made of lighter material. Gives me that Goldilocks just right feel. I haven’t noticed any difference in breathability either way

Good to know, thanks for sharing experience. I prefer a hammock that offers more support and maybe some stretch, but more firm is generally more comfortable for me, so this is helpful. I am not that interested in single layer 1.0oz or 1.2oz fabrics anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Skytow View Post
    Too soft I found stretchy and not supportive enough so I hung butt low and sort of got balled up overnight. As they say you mileage may vary and this is personal preference territory so try a few if you can and see what you like.

Yeah, seems about right. Too much stretch doesn’t sound pleasant, not ideal for restful sleep. I’m not a very heavy guy, but I do appreciate a hammock that’s more firm.

A double layer hammock in 1.6oz Hyper D-XL should be just fine, plenty comfortable.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I personally like polyester hammocks - I guess I like the stiffness. Unfortunately, there aren't many polyester hammocks on the market. Dutch used to sell PolyD in 1.2 and 1.4 but discontinued it. I bought a couple of spares when I knew he was discontinuing it. I think HG bought Dutch's last rolls and sold PolyD hammocks for a while, but I don't think anyone makes a polyester hammock now.

Ripstop by the Roll sells some polyester fabric if you want to make your own.

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collect...lyester-fabric

And of course, there's the polyester taffeta tablecloth hammock:

https://tableclothsfactory.com/colle...er-tablecloths

A very comfortable hammock which, as I recall, weighs about 2.2 ounces per square yard. The tablecloth is already stitched, so all you have to do is make two channels. Voila! Instant hammock bliss.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 04-05-2022 at 17:57.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    11’ silpoly WIDE
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°F
    Suspension
    Whoopies or becket
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I personally like polyester hammocks - I guess I like the stiffness.

Interesting. The lack of stretch is intriguing, I should add a polyester hammock to my arsenal in the future. And if they make it wide, even better!

Do you still like hammocks made from nylon fabrics? I wonder how a double layer combination of nylon and polyester would feel.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    Interesting. The lack of stretch is intriguing, I should add a polyester hammock to my arsenal in the future. And if they make it wide, even better!

Do you still like hammocks made from nylon fabrics? I wonder how a double layer combination of nylon and polyester would feel.
    I only buy nylon when polyester isn't available. I have a couple of Hexon 1.6 hammocks that are comfy.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    11’ silpoly WIDE
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°F
    Suspension
    Whoopies or becket
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I only buy nylon when polyester isn't available. I have a couple of Hexon 1.6 hammocks that are comfy.
    I will definitely try a polyester hammock one of these days. And 1.6oz fabrics seem to be a popular choice for a lot of people, so that’s good to know as well.

Thank you all for input!

If RBTR has a polyester fabric that you like, I wonder if DH would use it to make a hammock for you (?) Wouldn't hurt to ask...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast