1.2 MTN streamliner + myog net
    Tarp
    HG DCF Std, Lawson
    Insulation
    Wooki, old EE TQ
    Suspension
    1.4 UHMWPE, Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Comparing the specs between the two: the WB is cheaper, a little wider (6") and includes side panel pulls but is heavier.
    At first I read this as saying Dutch's not having side panel pulls. If that were the case I'd say WB is the easy choice. For bad weather I think of them as essential. But I see the panel pulls are an option with Dutch and with the bonded method they are also easier to add aftermarket.

As far as "nice to have", I'd also put consideration to SLD for the multiple interior pole option. WB puts one in the center, SLD you can specify up to 3 (!). If I were buying for the first time I'd consider a tarp with the convenience for at least 2 interior poles. Currently I use panel pulls for tie outs or for connecting hiking poles ("exterior pole mod"). For short trips, which you are more likely to be doing in proper winter anyways, convenience of interior poles seems really nice. I also wouldn't care about the weight difference of carrying poles for a short trip.

Disclaimer - no experience with bonded, SLD or interior poles. Many nights in a Superfly. Currently adding the option for interior poles to my WB which is fun from a fiddling perspective, but can also appreciate just having it done from the get go.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    IF you are handy, for not much money, you can add Beastie D-rings to the tarp’s corner tie-outs so you can add your desired interior poles - like at the ends if the manufacturer only offers it in the middle.

If you order it with the center internal pole mod, you’ll see what length/diameter is used for that. Then you can make/buy two more poles for the ends - sticking them in the beastie D-ring holes. If the added D-rings require a little longer pole, or, from the get-go you want to make your poles, you can buy them from vendors mention in the DIY sub-form. I think Quest is one. They provide various lengths, diameters, end pieces, etc. The sections are easy to cut, and it just takes a little fiddling to add the shock-cord and end pieces.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambler_ View Post
    Even though My superfly has never leaked I just feel better about the bonded ridgeline. I also like the fact that the bonded comes in at about three ounces less than the superfly. So I’m getting a nice sized tarp with doors for 15 ounces coming in at less than half the price of say a dcf tarp with doors.
    I’m intrigued by the bonded xenon with doors as well as a cheaper and more opaque version of a DCF w doors. Dutchware also has an “ultralight” version but the specs make it seem like you’re only saving a few grams not ounces so not sure what’s the point. Did you consider the ultralight?

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Dutch Bonded Xenon
    Insulation
    Whooki/Burrow
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Peaks View Post
    I’m intrigued by the bonded xenon with doors as well as a cheaper and more opaque version of a DCF w doors. Dutchware also has an “ultralight” version but the specs make it seem like you’re only saving a few grams not ounces so not sure what’s the point. Did you consider the ultralight?
    I went with the ultralight even though it was only a couple grams in savings

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12