Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 XL
    Insulation
    LSOH Custom
    Suspension
    Whoopies

New WB Lynx Question

Good day all!

I owned a RR years ago but I had the UGQ RR underquilt for it (the name escapes me but they do not make it anymore) and sold it along with the RR.

I just recently bought one again along with 2 lynx underquilts from warbonnet. I notices that only the foot end has anytime of elastic (thick rubber band it looks like) but the head end has nothing.

This seems like a possible disaster as it would put alot of stress on the fabric with nothing to absorb any "stretch".

Am I being to cautious or is there a mod you do (add small shock cord loops for example) to mitigate this possibility?

Thank you kindly in advance for your replies!

[AIMG][XFLOAT]20220403_113417.jpg20220403_113343.jpg20220403_113417.jpg20220403_113343.jpg[/XFLOAT][/AIMG]

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    APSolitude - no worries; it’s supposed to be like that. Note that 1) the physical length of the RR itself limits the distance between the Lynx ends. 2) putting an elastic at the foot end allows for stretch - if you think about it for a bit, you might see that any pull - from the head, the middle, or the foot - is absorbed by that elastic, no matter if it’s at the foot or head end.

The Lynx absolutely fits the RR - like a glove. It has a differential cut (the bottom is cut fuller) so the loft is not compressed as it snugs up against the bottom of the RR. The elastic at the end holds it snug while allowing a little give for various body weights in the RR. You do have to make sure you have the bottom side of the Lynx down and the head end of the Lynx at the head end of the RR. I use different colored mini biners at the head end so it’s easily identified when pulling it out of a stuff sack. But of course the elastic itself identifies the foot end.

There is one thing … Those elastics (wide rubber bands) don’t last forever. Mine snapped after 5 years during a 8° night this winter. WB said they eventually wear out - like a windshield wiper blade - and WB sells replacements for $1.00.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    TE Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 XL
    Insulation
    LSOH Custom
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thank you kindly sir!

Everything you describe makes sense and it was what I had assumed. I didn't think Brandon would do anything that wasn't thought out but it just caught me off guard as its the least amount of stretchy stuff on any underquilt suspension I'd ever seen! Haha

I will take it out and set it up for a test lay with comfort.

Thank you so very much for the taking the time to answer my question.

Cheers!

Marcus

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I have an older lynx- maybe 5 years old? It had the same set up- elastic bands at the foot end. Works great!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Who can choose?
    Tarp
    DW Bonded P2F
    Insulation
    Unicorn Fur
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    I agree with all of the above. I will say that the plastic S-biners that Brandon supplies are another point of potential failure; both my head end S-biners failed catastrophically on this last weekend's outing. This is not unexpected with plastic/resin items; time and UV degrades them. If Nite-Ize ever makes a titanium S-biner, I'll be the first in line ... lol. In the meantime, I'm debating whether to replace with plastic, or buy aluminum and risk the bending failure possibility, or stainless and pay the weight penalty (I know, it's a mini-biner, it's not that much weight, and it's a bridge hammock so it's not like I'm ULing with it anyway. It's a mindset thing.)
    Medical professional, semi-professional Scouter, aspiring layabout.
    "If it's stupid, and it works - it's not stupid."

S487-132

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    DocTheo, Maybe you have a very old Lynx. My first one is at least 5 years old and the head end carabiners are made of metal. I guess they’d be in the “micro” (or mini) class - they are the same small biner many vendors sell - often with the vendor’s name on them. There isn’t much wear on the biner or elastic (rubber band) in my experience as the RR itself limits the stretch. I did have one elastic break - after 5 years and in single digit temperatures - but rubber does “wear out” - even sitting on the shelf. WB sells replacements for $1.00 each.

Given that you are not reppelling off that mini biner, I don’t see the need for titanium - it is just holding the UQ with a slight tug. I wouldn’t use plastic and I wouldn’t use an S-Biner because of their size/strength ratio. Those little “vendor” aluminum mini-biners - what was supplied with my Lynx - work just fine.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Who can choose?
    Tarp
    DW Bonded P2F
    Insulation
    Unicorn Fur
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    This isn't that old of a Lynx - I didn't get the RR all that long ago. I've been a gathered-end hammocker for the decade-plus I've been doing this crazy sleeping in the air thing; just pulled the trigger on the RidgeRunner a year or so ago and I've been putting it through it's paces. The Lynx came with the same plastic S-biners that HammockGear supplies with their newer quilts, which surprised me. I'll more than likely replace with some of the mini-biners I've got hanging around in my gear closet - little beggars are useful, but I never have them when I actually *need* them, so I'm always buying more.

S487-132

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    DocTheo, maybe it was a name mixup, but HammockGear doesn’t make a Lynx, WarBonnet does. So if you have a HG UQ for your RidgeRunner, it is not a Lynx. I don’t know what HG supplies for that. My Lynx’s are older; I don’t know what WB uses for that head end connection now. I’m just surprised they’d switch to plastic when that little micro-biner works so well. Guess I’m going to have to get some new gear so I can keep up
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 05-04-2022 at 10:38.

Hammock
    Who can choose?
    Tarp
    DW Bonded P2F
    Insulation
    Unicorn Fur
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    No - I may not have been clear. I have several HG quilts which came with S-biners. I got the Lynx, and it came with the same S-biners that I have with the HammockGear quilts (of which I own several), which I found odd, because every Warbonnet underquilt I'd seen at hangs and on other people's hammocks had the metal microbiners. I've had several Warbonnet hammocks and tarps, but the only quilts I've ever had from Warbonnet before this one I've bought used (a wookie and a topquilt that I forget what they call it) - so I wasn't sure if I'd made a mistake with the hardware.

Hell, maybe I did, and just grabbed the first clippy things I had in the box.

I never know anymore.

On an unrelated note, this quilt acquisition thing is getting a little out of hand, maybe.

S487-132

• + New Posts