Hammock
    Banshee / Chameleon
    Tarp
    TrailHeadz Topo
    Insulation
    CRO / JRB /TH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    Having had both. I honestly think the Bonded makes for a stronger ridgeline. It adds enough "structure" that I had not anticipated this benefit. I expected the added waterproofness, so that was never a question. But having run it for the last couple of trips including some heavy winds in the shining Rock Wilderness in NC. I'm starting to feel like this advancement has made all other tarps inferior. I realize how bold of a statement that is, but at a $20 upcharge over Dutch's other tarps. Shoot you'd be silly not to at least add them to your wish list.

PXL_20220318_201512247 (1).jpg
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.”
    ― Norman Maclean

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Hey MrPicki - I like your camo! If I were walking in the woods and came across your setup, I wouldn’t believe my eyes
    Like, “I’m not seeing that. It must be a mental flash back to a more ‘experimental' time in my life."
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I haven't seen the new bonded tarps, but have used (and abused) my DIY bonded "cuben fiber" for years. Bonding that with 3M adhesive transfer tape makes a very strong seam. I think the different bonding method that Hammock Gear uses is equally strong. No need to cringe, Bob (cmoulder).

Anybody know what specific bonding product Dutch uses with fabric?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I haven't seen the new bonded tarps, but have used (and abused) my DIY bonded "cuben fiber" for years. Bonding that with 3M adhesive transfer tape makes a very strong seam. I think the different bonding method that Hammock Gear uses is equally strong. No need to cringe, Bob (cmoulder).

Anybody know what specific bonding product Dutch uses with fabric?
    My worry is that DCF has practically no stretch and I don't use bungees of any sort. So if the tree at one end doesn't flex much and the tree at the other end does, that additional stress will transfer directly to the tarp.

I've read accounts of shredded tarps, and I recall that Two Speed had an issue with his on his CDT trek and that HG recommended a CRL. Of course, if a strong enough wind is howling, it would destroy any tarp.

Looks as if Dutch came up with a proprietary adhesive (maybe in tape form) since a patent is claimed on the info page. If so, he's got a leg up on 3M, which makes the bonding tape for DCF.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Your caution makes sense, Bob. I use a loop of 1/8" bungee at my tie out points and ridgeline connections. In the past I've used a continuous ridgeline with the tarp attached to klemheist knots or prussiks. Incidentally, I've never had a problem with a zing-it ridgeline under the tarp causing abrasion - the same with a structural Amsteel ridgeline that also supported the hammock. I've done both, but for the latter, it takes longer loops of bungee to maintain tension on the tarp when the hammock is occupied. Looking back, the only tarp failures I've suffered have been when side tieouts came loose and the wind thrashed it around. For that reason I favor tying to trees or bushes. Still looking for the perfect stake design for all soils, seasons, and forest types. It's off somewhere, hiding behind the perfect hammock....

When I first started using DCF, I found the customer reps/engineers at 3M very helpful in choosing which of their many adhesives to use. We also discussed adhesives for fabrics. They recommended trying their Super 77 spray adhesive for nylon fabrics, not because the adhesive formula was perfectly suited for nylon, but because the aerosol delivery allows the small droplets to rest on the surface of a woven fabric, instead of penetrating. I think Dutch is extremely good at research, as well as experimentation. His success with bonded tarps may have as much to do with finding the right fabric as the right adhesive or adhesive/heat combination.
    Last edited by WV; 04-05-2022 at 07:00.

Hammock
    Banshee / Chameleon
    Tarp
    TrailHeadz Topo
    Insulation
    CRO / JRB /TH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    Well, It so happens that i'm a bit of a diva and like standing out. But if the camo route helps... I've got matching quilts and the Banyan coming will match as well... lol
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.”
    ― Norman Maclean

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    At least one company has been looking into welding nylon fabric together to make jackets and the like. Don't know if this welding method is gone mainstream or not and or how strong it is
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Comparing the regular (1.1 xenon) and the ultralight (0.9 xenon) versions of the simple 11' Hex, Dutch lists weights of 330g vs 315g, in which case I'd opt for the slightly heavier material with only a 1/2oz "penalty" for something that is presumably a bit more robust.
    Cmoulder I asked this question on Dutch’s Q+A on the site the other day. They said they’re reweighing their quilts and will update site. I also thought it looked weird that “ultralight” only meant a 15g savings. I don’t get the point of offering if that’s the only difference.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Peaks View Post
    Cmoulder I asked this question on Dutch’s Q+A on the site the other day. They said they’re reweighing their quilts and will update site. I also thought it looked weird that “ultralight” only meant a 15g savings. I don’t get the point of offering if that’s the only difference.
    I have a regular (1.1 xenon bonded) arriving today and a good scale (.01g resolution) so I'll get an accurate weight for that one before adding cordage etc.

But I'm sure (or hope) they realize there are quite a few of we anal-ytical gram weenies out there who are paying attention to such things. And who will "trust but verify." It'll be reassuring if the weight is +/- a few grams.

EE is pretty darn good regards to accurate weights. Their production controls are so tight that, in my experience, they're accurate to within a few grams with a rather complicated 400g product such as a quilt. For a simple tarp it shouldn't be that hard to get consistently correct numbers.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    So here's the "tale of the scale!" Yes, I did tare out the rubber band lol

Not too bad, actually... I've seen far worse!

And, to be fair, it's a foot wider than the DCF hex.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast