11’ silpoly WIDE
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°F
    Suspension
    Whoopies or becket
    Images

Bug net: 1.0oz Monolite vs. 0.9oz no-see-um breathability

Hi all,

I’ve been a member of hammock forums for a while now, and hammock camping for a couple of years as well, but still have a lot to learn! (Don’t we all?)

I am torn between two types of fabrics for bug netting (no pun intended):

- 1.0 oz Monolite
    - 0.9 oz no-see-um

The hammock for which it would be used is a 12’x6’ symmetrical hammock. And yes, the bug net would be integrated.

How is the breathability for each? Does anybody have experience with either of these? On a warm summer night, especially.

As far as I know, the 1.0 Monolite could be made symmetrical, while the 0.9 oz no-see-um could not. I prefer to have a symmetrical lay, having the option to change positions freely, without unzipping and flipping bug net.

Is the 1.0 Monolite a good option? Breathable? Or is it too stifling in hot weather?

Any insight is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Not sure why you won't swap that to the new .7 monolite, maybe something to consider.

I was wonder the same thing last year when .7 monolite was introduced and wrote RSbTR to ask about substituting it for noseeum, this was the response

"While I haven't been able to use the 0.7 yet, the 1.0 has kept me bug free, and very breathable in a standard gathered end hammock for the last year. Just seeing the material, it's my opinion that you'' be bug free and just as breathable with the 0.7.

If you have any questions, please let me know. "

Thanks,

Justin Oliveri
    Sales & Support Team Lead, Ripstop by the Roll

So, I ended up getting the .7, but the answer was for 1.0, which I guess gives you some input from the guys who sell and use it

Brian

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    11’ silpoly WIDE
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°F
    Suspension
    Whoopies or becket
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser51 View Post
    Not sure why you won't swap that to the new .7 monolite, maybe something to consider.
    Good point. Yes, I noticed the new 0.7oz monolite fabric, looks more sturdy than typical no-see-um mesh. However, the manufacturer only offers the 1.0 oz monolite in a symmetrical bug net. So it’s either a symmetrical 1.0 monolite net or an asymmetrical 0.9 oz no-see-um mesh, and I prefer symmetrical lay.

So is the breathability just splitting hairs? The differences in permeability are hardly discernible? I’m just wondering if it is worth it.

How do you like the 0.7 oz monolite? Breathes well? Not stifling?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    I am using it on a new hammock I am designing, only have the prototype ready so far, and that will use noseeum. The final version will be done in the .7 monolite ... but I don't have the experience with monolite on an actual hammock yet, but I have the material and it seems pretty sheer and air goes through pretty easy.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I remember when Monolite first came out, someone else had posed the question about using it for a bug net. I believe RSBTR even said that it would not be ideal for that purpose, because it doesn't breathe as well as no-see-um mesh. Personally, I don't like to feel clammy in my hammock, so I would probably go with the no-see-um.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    11’ silpoly WIDE
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°F
    Suspension
    Whoopies or becket
    Images
    Thanks for input on this.

I am still having hard time deciding on what to do, which fabric to opt for, but any advice helps.

I wonder if anybody else has any experience with 1.0 oz monolite as a bug net.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    11’ silpoly WIDE
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°F
    Suspension
    Whoopies or becket
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Personally, I don't like to feel clammy in my hammock, so I would probably go with the no-see-um.
    I don’t like feeling clammy either, especially in hot weather. One of the reasons that I love hammock camping is the versatility, modular design.

I am leaning towards no-see-um mesh, but I am having hard time finding a manufacturer who makes it symmetrically in a 12 foot hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    I don’t like feeling clammy either, especially in hot weather. One of the reasons that I love hammock camping is the versatility, modular design.

I am leaning towards no-see-um mesh, but I am having hard time finding a manufacturer who makes it symmetrically in a 12 foot hammock.
    Are you dead set on having the bug net be integrated? At least one vendor offers a 12' Fronkey.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post

Dream Hammock can make their Sparrow 12' long, and they offer a symmetrical version. I believe Simply Light Designs also offers the Trail Lair in a 12' version. It's also a symmetrical hammock.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    11’ silpoly WIDE
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°F
    Suspension
    Whoopies or becket
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Are you dead set on having the bug net be integrated? At least one vendor offers a 12' Fronkey.
    Ideally, yes. I may invest in a Fronkey style bug net in the future, seems interesting. I am set on integrated at the moment.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast