Tarp
    11’ silpoly WIDE
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°F
    Suspension
    Whoopies or becket
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Dream Hammock can make their Sparrow 12' long, and they offer a symmetrical version. I believe Simply Light Designs also offers the Trail Lair in a 12' version. It's also a symmetrical hammock.
    I contacted Randy from Dream Hammock and he mentioned that while the 12 foot Sparrow is symmetrical, the bug net is not, sadly. I would have to opt for the 1.0 Monolite in that case, but that would impede breathability, based on what I have gathered so far.

And I think that you are correct about the 12 foot Trail Lair by Simply Light Designs. That may be the solution.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    I contacted Randy from Dream Hammock and he mentioned that while the 12 foot Sparrow is symmetrical, the bug net is not, sadly. I would have to opt for the 1.0 Monolite in that case, but that would impede breathability, based on what I have gathered so far.

And I think that you are correct about the 12 foot Trail Lair by Simply Light Designs. That may be the solution.
    The cut of the bug net is the only thing that makes a hammock "asymmetrical." Asym hammocks have a bug net that is shaped like a parallelogram. So if the Sparrow is symmetrical, then the bug net would also have to be symmetrical. Maybe he meant that the 12' Sparrow only comes in the asym option.

But regardless, you can't go wrong with Simply Light Designs either. Excellent gear, and unbelievably fast production & shipping times.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    11’ silpoly WIDE
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°F
    Suspension
    Whoopies or becket
    Images
    The cut of the bug net is the only thing that makes a hammock "asymmetrical." Asym hammocks have a bug net that is shaped like a parallelogram.
    Yeah, exactly. And the no-see-um mesh of the 12’ Sparrow is cut in a parallelogram. Oh well.

I will look into SLD! And Dream Hammock also for future investments, maybe an 11 footer; can never have too many hammocks, I guess.

So general consensus is:

- 1.0 oz monolite is not optimal for bug netting, doesn’t breathe well, but practical for other applications (UL hammocks, for example)

- 0.9 oz no-see-um offers greater breathability, far better than the 1.0 oz ripstop nylon fabric.

If anybody else has used 1.0 oz monolite as a bug net, I would be happy to hear about your experience!

The cut of the bug net is the only thing that makes a hammock "asymmetrical." Asym hammocks have a bug net that is shaped like a parallelogram. So if the Sparrow is symmetrical, then the bug net would also have to be symmetrical. Maybe he meant that the 12' Sparrow only comes in the asym option.

But regardless, you can't go wrong with Simply Light Designs either. Excellent gear, and unbelievably fast production & shipping times.
    Trying to understand this. You say CORRECTLY that the cut of the bugnet is the ONLY thing that makes the hammock asym. Then you go on to say that if the hammock is symmetrical then so is the bugnet. That doesn't make sense. No, a symmetrical hammock body is the base for either option.
    Last edited by TominMN; 04-01-2022 at 05:53.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    11’ silpoly WIDE
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°F
    Suspension
    Whoopies or becket
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    No, a symmetrical hammock body is the base for either option.
    Yes, you are right. I think that's what he was implying, just a matter of semantics. Ultimately, I was looking for a symmetrical integrated bug net for a 12 foot hammock (so not cut in the shape of a parallelogram), but not every manufacturer offers that.

I like the feeling of symmetry in a hammock, the freedom to change positions without flipping the net; I don't mind the extra weight or fabric. But then again, I'll probably end up investing in a hammock with an asymmetrical bug net one day...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12