Hammock
    Bliss No see um. Heavily Modified
    Tarp
    Army hutchie
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Own design & DIY.

My Hammock Gave up and dropped me on the back lawn last night.

G'day Guys,
    My hammock failed last night. It ripped right across its width near my head, then along the length near the edge, and dropped me on the back lawn. All done in about half an instant. Of course, I was stretching when it happened. Take home message:- don't hang where you are not prepared to fall from.
    It's a 12-year-old Bliss No-See-Um No More that I have used several nights a week for the last 12 years, mostly in the backyard but also backcountry and over the snow (unusual for Australia).
    I not complaining about its failure. It has served me well & 12 years is a long time. It spent a lot of that time set up (under a fly), but still getting some UV exposure.

I have helped several mates, scouts, family members, etc get into hammock camping, so have had a few dealings with the Hammock Bliss proprietor. Has anyone else here used Bliss Hammocks and/or dealt with this guy?

I think I will try a Warbonnet Original Blackbird. Any thoughts? I am 183cm and 104kg, (6' & 230lbs).

Gus

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    The Blackbird is designed for those who are 6' or shorter. The Blackbird XLC is for those who are up to 6'6". You're well under either model's weight limit for comfort or safety, but height-wise you are right on the recommended cut-off between the two. The XLC will definitely fit properly for comfort. The Original will probably be comfortable as well - comfort being a personal judgement.
    Last edited by Watertooner; 03-27-2022 at 09:02.
    The game is the best teacher.

I'm a bit under 6 ft. I prefer the longer XLC. Being able to get relatively closer to the head end seems to be the answer for being truly comfortable in a Blackbird. Longer and a significantly raised foot end puts me in the sweet spot.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    I have a Hammock Bliss “Sky Bed” (I think) — it’s their model that has an integrated pad sleeve. I don’t use it as my main hammock, but I have found it reliable. Don’t know contact info for the company (got it on Amazon). I get the sense that gathered-end hammocks do fail all at once when they go, though. Have only heard good things about the Blackbird, and like my Ridge Runner. My gathered-end of choice is either my Simply Light Designs Trail Lair (integrated net) or my Voyageur (netless, with a separate Fronkey).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Off-brand cheapo
    Tarp
    ALPS UL
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Well, better the backyard than the backcountry. You're making me obsess even more over a small worn spot I notice in my hammock this weekend in the backyard....
    Grace & peace,
    Dragonhunter
    No one sits around talking about that trip where it was 76 and sunny the whole time.

Around a 6 monthly cycle over the years with swapping out hammocks from the backyard, l discovered blemishes possibly sneaky UV on effects….

Every so often 4” grasshoppers in summertime seeking out refuge amongst a fold in the gathering of material, sometimes between hammock and UQ, gnawing holes…

Only recently noticing under the page…. other venders….. Beartooth Hammocks and gear!

Senior moment: member on HF… producer with this fine gear…. Creates a waterproof hammock storage sleeve….

Thought this to share highlight this novel idea for backyard enthusiasts whom may decide to set the hammock for long periods…. This kit insurances protection for hammock and UQ when life’s call to duties potentially interrupts hang time.

Nice idea Senior Moment!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Bliss, on Amazon, has a sleeve for a hammock. It’s wider than a snakeskin and acts like sacrificial Zine on a sail boat. The Zinc dissolves faster so it’s placed on the propeller shaft. Chemical actions with saltwater eat the zinc (which is periodically replaced) instead of the shaft. So it is with the Bliss hammock shield. It covers the hammock - backyard hammocks seldom have tarps - and the sun beats down on it. I think I could squeeze my 40° summer UQ in there too. So I could carry two snake skins; one for the tarp and the Bliss for the hammock and UQ. I don’t use it much because I don’t keep my hammock up 24 hrs. a day.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 03-30-2022 at 12:18.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutch net less wide
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20's / SLD TW
    Suspension
    Straps/no harware
    I was hanging at my house, and had my suspension fail me once (My fault). "Half an instant" to the ground is the perfect way to explain it. Its always in the back of my mind, when I have a less than ideal hang over rocks or roots. I also hang a bit lower now than I did before.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Bliss, on Amazon, has a sleeve for a hammock. It’s wider than a snakeskin and acts like sacrificial Zine on a sail boat. The Zinc dissolve faster so it’s placed on the propeller shaft. Chemical actions with saltwater eat the zinc (which is periodically replace) instead of the shaft. So it is with the Bliss hammock shield. It covers the hammock - backyard hammocks seldom have tarps - and the sun beats down on it. I think I could squeeze my 40° summer UQ in there too. So I could carry two snake skins; one for the tarp and the Bliss for the hammock and UQ. I don’t use it much because I don’t keep my hammock up 24 hrs. a day.
    SLD has one as well. We had Jarred make a version that was waterproof for us.

• + New Posts