Question Campgrounds to Hammock Camp? Hatteras Island Outer Banks, North Carolina

Hey all! I will be heading down to Cape Hatteras next month for a fishing trip and will be staying in one of the campgrounds on the island (probably Frisco Campgrounds). I would love to reserve a site that I can hang, I really do not want to tent camp if I don't have to. Is anyone familiar with the area and specific sites in the campgrounds that are hammock friendly?

I have the Bare Bones XL Hammock Mount from McLean Metalworks, but it doesn't appear the sites have parking too close to where the rest of the camp site would be.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Tanklesmith, Welcome to the forum. I don’t know about that park but I’m commenting to tell you, should it come up, that the vendor Kammok - sold by REI (20% discount ends Monday) sells a 2 inch tree hugger. Some parks allow hanging but required a wide strap. This strap is only about 4.5 ft long so you’d use it around the tree, then have smaller/lighter gear going from there to the hammock. Not saying you’d need this at a park, but if “a 2 inch strap” comes up, you’ll know were to find them. Some hammock vendors also have ultralight versions.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY GE 12’ Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    CDT Gemini DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopi slings
    Images
    Most of the campgrounds on the Outer Banks are geared toward RVs and have few trees, especially on the ocean front side. The trees that are there tend to be short and gnarly - great for surviving hurricanes, but not so much for hanging.

Campgrounds on the sound side may have more trees, depending how on whether or jot they cater to renters.

The best I’ve found is Frisco Woods Campground. They have a lot of trees and I’ve camped there before with tents (in my pre-hammock days). I’d suggest contacting them to see which sites they recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Tanklesmith, Welcome to the forum. I don’t know about that park but I’m commenting to tell you, should it come up, that the vendor Kammok - sold by REI (20% discount ends Monday) sells a 2 inch tree hugger. Some parks allow hanging but required a wide strap. This strap is only about 4.5 ft long so you’d use it around the tree, then have smaller/lighter gear going from there to the hammock. Not saying you’d need this at a park, but if “a 2 inch strap” comes up, you’ll know were to find them. Some hammock vendors also have ultralight versions.
    Thank you, I will check that out. I need to use my 20% membership coupon today anyway. Appreciate it!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I've been researching this as well, and in general, there's not a ton of tree hanging possibilities on the Outer Banks in particular, or along the coast in general. Even though one of the NC State Parks is called Hammocks Beach State Park | NC State Parks (ncparks.gov), there just aren't many hammocking spots along the coast that I've been able to find.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Quote Originally Posted by SubaruWx View Post
    Most of the campgrounds on the Outer Banks are geared toward RVs and have few trees, especially on the ocean front side. The trees that are there tend to be short and gnarly - great for surviving hurricanes, but not so much for hanging.

Campgrounds on the sound side may have more trees, depending how on whether or jot they cater to renters.

The best I’ve found is Frisco Woods Campground. They have a lot of trees and I’ve camped there before with tents (in my pre-hammock days). I’d suggest contacting them to see which sites they recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I ended up giving Frisco Woods Campground a call and they recommended some sites that should work out. Thanks for the advice!
    Last edited by Tanklesmith; 03-29-2022 at 07:18.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman857 View Post
    I've been researching this as well, and in general, there's not a ton of tree hanging possibilities on the Outer Banks in particular, or along the coast in general. Even though one of the NC State Parks is called Hammocks Beach State Park | NC State Parks (ncparks.gov), there just aren't many hammocking spots along the coast that I've been able to find.
    Frisco Woods Campground seems to have a handful of sites that will work. I gave them a call and they were super helpful and recommended the sites that were available for the dates I will be there.

• + New Posts