WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I got in on the early bird. No shipping confirmation yet though.

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    Received my Safari today! I'll set it up tomorrow in bivy mode as I have no trees in my yard and will shoot a bunch of photos. There was a "perceived" conflict as on the Kickstarter campaign it said the weight capacity was 350lbs. The paperwork that came with the Safari said both 285 and 280lbs. I contacted Derek and he said the rating is 350lbs. They had the cards printed up before they realized the true capacity of the prototypes.
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    That’s a good correction because I thought it was going to weigh 350 lbs.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    Seems to be a valid option for touring in kayaks, 2-piece paddles are 45" and 50", which makes the 'head' end 5-inches higher than the foot end...

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    I picked up a sleeping bag liner on Amazon to see if the Safari's pad would fit inside of it. I was looking to help keep the pad clean by adding it as a cover for the pad. I tried it and the Safari's pad fits inside perfectly! It "claims" to add 5-10 degrees of insulation....I'm not sure of that claim. But to keep the pad clean - bingo!

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B074MDM5FL?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_QB67SHRG0W2KWA4JM 750

IMG_3761.jpgIMG_3762.jpg
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Got my Safari a few days ago. Got to take it out for a quick setup and hang this afternoon. My ridgeline light didnt ship or the hook extensions for the side. Messaged them a number of days ago and still no response.
    Initial impressions are these.
    1) Built like a tank. This material they use, reminds me of military grade waterproof fabric. With that strength, comes a weight penalty.
    2)Weight. Although i packed this in, it is definately a car camping rig.
    3)Comfort. This is VERY comfortable and reminds me of sleeping in my bed at home. You have to make sure you blow the mattress up nice and firm.
    4)Its Hot. Temps were 32*C and the mattress was way to hot to lay on. I covered the mattress with my Snugpack jungle blanket so as to not get sweat on it.
    5)Bugnet. The new zippers are really nice and make getting in and out either side very easy.
    6)Lounge Strap. This was a feature i was excited to try, but saddly wouldnt stay elevated. The strap kept slipping loose and wouldnt hold.
    7)Setup. It was my first time setting up, and takes longer than a traditional GE hammock. Blowing the pad up by mouth takes a LONG time. Doing it with the bag took even longer. Buy the pump and save yourself the headache.
    Takedown also takes more effort because it has to be folded or rolled and not just stuffed into a sack.
    8)Side sleeping. Ive been sleeping on mybside more at home, and side sleeping in this was a joy. I dozed off a number of times.

So in quick summary, id say that this is definately a great Spring/Fall/probably Winter car camping option and would highly recommend if you want something different thats exteemely comfortable. I am a hot sleeper, so i will be going to my Chameleon and WBBXL during the hot months.

Quote Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
    I picked up a sleeping bag liner on Amazon to see if the Safari's pad would fit inside of it. I was looking to help keep the pad clean by adding it as a cover for the pad. I tried it and the Safari's pad fits inside perfectly! It "claims" to add 5-10 degrees of insulation....I'm not sure of that claim. But to keep the pad clean - bingo!

In addition to keeping the pad clean, this adds a lot to comfort as well. Sleeping directly on an inflatable (or closed-cell) pad can be like sleeping on a sheet of polyethylene plastic! Just a thin layer of breathable cloth between you and the pad can often be enough to prevent perspiration build-up. You can buy pad covers, but as you've found out, bag liners can work just as well.

I have one pad covered in polar fleece. Very comfy but not exactly backpacking gear. More of a car camping, go-to-ground thing.
    Last edited by TominMN; 06-27-2022 at 06:14.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Had my first couple nights in it this weekend. Woke up both mornings with an incredibly sore back as the pad had deflated. It's is super comfy when it was fully inflated and fell asleep rather quickly both nights.
    I've reached out a few times now, and have yet to hear back on kickstarter or email.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Immortalviking, this won't make you feel any better but do know your communication experience with KickStarters is not uncommon. Neither is a product being sent out six months past the "estimated" delivery time. My point is, it is probably not just you, and eventually, you'll probably hear back.

I believe there's an area on the KickStarter offer page that allows for buyers to leave comments. Maybe if your problem was made more public - by posting your request in that review area - it will be resolved quicker. If you do post there, you might resist the tendency to pile on with gripes, and instead, let them know how happy you initially were and your hopes to return to that state so you can SHARE your excitement with all your pals.

And now something about hammocks so this post doesn't get moved... I've bought a few hammock items on KickStarter and only got semi-burned once. The item was a 30° rated TQ (an act of faith on rating standards). In manufacturing, One snap closure along the footbox was missing and the vendor tried to claim it was on purpose to help "orient" the rest of the snaps.

So know that "kickstarter" products are often "beta" versions and you get to decide if the saving over its projected retail price is worth the risk.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 07-04-2022 at 16:03.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I did post in the Kickstarter comments section a couple times then emailed.
    I've been burned on KS a couple time only and I believe Derek really does care about his customer base. However, given such a large rollout, worldwide, he may have underestimated the manpower needed to handle customer concerns.like I really like the hammock, and I think they had pad issues before, so I'm willing to give some slack.....and it's The 4th of July long weekend in the USA.
    If I can't get the issues resolved, I'll get a refund and put the money toward a Superior Hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast